812 production delays? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

812 production delays?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by clockem, Jan 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Congratulations again on your beautiful 812.

Forgive me but I wanted to double check that your dealer doesn’t have allocations until June rather than having production that won’t be delivered until June. Is that correct ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Not describing OTA updates. My F12 was updated at the annual with the wired connection. Was a mandated fix. I was posing the possibility that build delays could be due to software which is also what was posted earlier that a software fix was related to a referenced EPS issue.

3. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    My dealer has two 812's on the water and no allocations for production from now until June. I guess any of his future allocations after June will be 2019's. Could the delay be producing v12's because the last of the Lusso V12's are keeping the V12 engine assembly busy. I was told months ago the last V12 Lusso's would be allocated in March and North American production would end in June and there would be no 2019 V12 Lusso's in the USA. Don't know if this is still accurate?

of2worlds likes this.
  4. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I presume that this is due to introduction of the Turbo V8 Lusso T.

If this car is goIng to be made on the V8 production line, then the V12 line will be dedicated solely to 812 cars.

No worries. The demand for the 812 is strong and deep.

Or will V8s and V12s share the same production line?

5. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    It's not the production line, the upstairs production line has both front engine v8's and V12's, it's the engine assembly that's the limiting factor with the V12's, I believe they only make 6 a day.

Bundy and of2worlds like this.
  6. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Yes no wonder I keep hearing cars delivered outside of ones on the water will be MY 19.

7. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My 812 went Red 10 last week. Will be interested when it arrives if it will be a 2018 or 2019.

8. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Yeah very interested to see which MY your car will be considering all thats gone on. You would think first half of year would be 18 but who knows with Ferrari.

9. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Then it occurs to me, maybe the production delay isn't a technical problem, but something else....

At the beginning of the year, China actually banned 553 car models from being produced and sold, search google for

China ban 553

relevant result:
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-28/china-to-stop-production-of-553-vehicle-models-over-fuel-use

and maybe that caused a problem since Ferrari has a good market there, so, maybe they have prioritized production of the 812 to be for China so they can get as many as possible manufactured for delivery in 2018 before any new ban occurs...The allocation resumption in June (noted above) would seem to be somewhat corresponding to that based on production time and shipping times to get as many 812S' as possible into China before end of 2018

Just a thought...

klinkman, Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  10. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K

Full list here:
    http://www.ecovis-beijing.com/en/blog-en/articles/production-ban-2018

It doesn't contain any Ferraris.

11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Thank you for finding the list.

That's the point, this ban was all-of-a-sudden (idea mentioned in China in Sept 2017:

http://www.catarc.ac.cn/ac_en/content/20170919/23953.html

(search webpage above for word 'banning')

and than boom, ban issued Dec 26/27 2017) and there will be more cars added and eventually all ICE will be banned in China, so it benefits Ferrari to get as many 812S delivered (in China) before they are banned. I think this correlates well with the sudden "production delays" for the 812S with dealers noting that "June" is when allocations/production will resume. Again, this is just my theory.

12. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Agree that things can change overnight there. You wonder how many Lusso T's for example, which they specifically targeted at some high-tax countries like China, actually end up there vs V12s

13. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    http://corporate.ferrari.com/en/annual-report-2017

report:
    http://corporate.ferrari.com/sites/ferrari15ipo/files/annual_report_ferrari_nv_12.31.2017__0.pdf

relevant text (for my theory)
    In response to severe air quality issues in Beijing and other major Chinese cities, in 2016 the Chinese government
    published a more stringent emissions program (National 6), providing two different levels of stringency effective starting from
    2020. Moreover autonomous Chinese regions and municipalities are allowed to implement these more stringent requirements
    in advance of 2020. If local Chinese regions and municipalities implement such requirements before 2020 this could lead us to
    revise our product development and production plans in China, incur significant costs and change marketing strategies in China,
    which may affect our profits.

See page 37 of pdf link above, seems holding rather 'steady' in China/HK/TW at 617 total cars for 2017

See page 71:
    The €27 million increase in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan (on a combined basis) net revenues was primarily attributable
    to a positive mix, driven by the GTC4Lusso family and other V12 models, particularly in China, partially offset by a slowdown
    in Hong Kong due to our decision to terminate the distributor in 2016 and the new dealership only becoming fully operational
    in the third quarter of 2017.

14. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    I was told the same.

15. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    Who knows? Maybe they are fixing the diffuser gap problem? :)

stavura and R J like this.
  16. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  17. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Has anyone heard if US dealers got any 812 allocations for March?

18. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2011
    California
  19. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    No it’s been very limited deliveries and allocations.

20. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Just an update. My dealer got allocated only 1 812 for July production. Not sure if Ferrari is purposely slowing production or there is something else going on. Ferrari has stated they make a larger profit margin on V12’s. Will see in early May when first quarter earnings come out.

I feel very fortunate my 812 is currently on the water headed to the U.S.

Bundy and j09333 like this.
  21. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    We attended the Maranello preview in Jan. 2017 and returned for the TM visit in September. Our build was supposed to start in February, but it’s been delayed until June.

A U.S. friend just received his 812 this month. He also attended the preview and spec’d his car then. I have one other buddy, who races Ferrari Challenge, who received his 812 earlier this year.

22. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Supposedly, ours is at stage 30. Ordered in October so I’m a little surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    stavura, Bundy and jumpinjohn like this.