812 Superfast Owners, Does HELE still engage if you hit neutral on an F1 Gearbox? | FerrariChat

812 Superfast Owners, Does HELE still engage if you hit neutral on an F1 Gearbox?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Scaramanga 007, Mar 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scaramanga 007

Mar 23, 2020
    Kind of a silly question, I saw the latest Vehicle Virgins episode and Patrick was saying that one of the 5 things he dislikes about his TDF Blue 812 Superfast was HELE engaging every time he hit a traffic light and making the engine restart. I don't know if he downshifts to first or Hits Neutra buy pulling both paddles backl then applies the brakes, when he stops at a light (which is a practice i hear avoids the car automatically dropping into neutral and wearing down your clutch) but does it still engage HELE or worse... puts it into park (YIKES!).

Thanks

Scaramanga 007

2. Scaramanga 007

Mar 23, 2020
    Can I ask an honest question?

Why did nobody answer? I mean TBH even a "beats me I own a 365 GTS, I have no idea" would be fine. Did I just come off wrong? I honestly don't understand. Lots of good posts and very informed respectable posters on this board, and I love Ferrari's. Just level with me if you can.

Scaramanga 007

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Maybe there aren't many 812 owners here and/or maybe they tend to look in the 812 section etc

4. Scaramanga 007

Mar 23, 2020
    Ahh ok, I love many Ferrari's not just 812's (250's 275's 365's 550's 458's) usually I can find the answer on my own or by asking around, but same problem, I know nobody with an 812 and so i asked here. Thank you, I really want to know more about this car.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Don't have an 812, nor know what HELE means, but, if you mean the system on newer cars that shuts off the engine at a stoplight and then restarts it when the acc pedal is pressed and F didn't include an easy way for the Driver to turn it off = big design mistake. Every time I drive my wife's MB, the first thing I do is actuate the switch to turn that annoying system off. Did you get a phonebook-sized OM with your 812? Might be worth digging thru it.

6. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    I believe you are referring to the start stop system not the HELE system. If you look in the overhead console above your rear view mirror you will see three icons. The one on the left has an A with a circle around it. If you push you should disable the start stop function. You will need to do this every time you start the car as the system defaults to the on position at every start up.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    One basic misconception on the 812 is comparing it to earlier Ferraris with dry clutch F1 systems. The 812 has a dual clutch transmission (DCT) with wet clutch packs and clutch wear is not normally an issue. So I doubt owners are putting an 812 in neutral at stop lights like I do on my 575M. Most are likely not even using the paddles in city traffic, but leaving it in auto.

Some auto off-on systems work quite well. My wife's 2020 Mercedes GLE450 has a system that is so unobtrusive that I do not even notice it when driving so have never bothered to override it.

If you really want an answer to your question from someone who owns an 812, ask in the 812 forum. Like Steve said, not too many 812 owners frequenting this section, especially with the cars still under warranty.

8. Qdog458

Qdog458 Rookie

Apr 18, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    I am not a Hele function either. I have it on my 2020 812 and my wife has it on her Portofino

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    OK -- I looked up the HELE system, and, while I understand that Ferrari has to pander to the faux-green religion for political reasons, talk about massive, costly complexity increasing unreliability for very little benefit (and probably no net benefit) -- classic faux-greenism.

10. Scaramanga 007

Mar 23, 2020
    Thank you, still really good information. I don't own one, but I really want one, I think it's the ultimate GT car like a Daytona was in 1969 and to a large degree still is and I absolutely love it, especially in CDF and Borderaux or TDF blue and Nero. But I remember all the manuals and nice little toolkit a friends 355 came with way back in 1995, so I can imagine. The wet clutch sounds like a nice touch, probably doesn't burn clutch disks as bad as 355 f1. And i think start/stop is a nice touch for a Honda or a BMW with a 4 or 6 cylinder, but Not a 6.5 liter 12 cylinder, I would think that the start/stop all the time would produce more smog, not less, but maybe i'm wrong. To be stuck with that circle A button on the top console, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having all your critical driving functions available on the steering wheel?

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Definitely not a critical driving function.

Scaramanga 007 likes this.
  12. Scaramanga 007

Mar 23, 2020
    Ahh good point, It isnt critical for the track or performance driving, that completely validates that design decision..... I agree the steering wheel is a bad place for it. However It'd be nice to have closer to the steering wheel or at least the paddles IMO..

Good call, when you stay inside and don't drive, you stop thinking Ferrari.

13. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Why, because (why no instant reply?) we are in the middle of an epidemic and people may have other competing priorities. (2) all the other reasons posted by others here. (3) A quick call to your dealer service advisor or reading the owner's manual is useful if in a rush to find out, rather than wait for someone to reply.

When I need an answer "Now," I may call the local Ferrari service advisor for simple things...and if not too involved, they usually can save me from a diagnostic trip.

14. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    HELE (High Emotion Low Emission - or - engine start/stop) on 812s can be disabled, simply by pushing a single overhead button at any time the engine is running, must do that each time car is started as it is not remembered between engine starts.

It does not engage if the car's transmission is in neutral, but, if the car is left in neutral and is engine on, there is a 20 minute timer after which the car will start to honk its horn (because it thinks you forgot about it) and you can only cancel that by stopping and restarting the car

15. Scaramanga 007

Mar 23, 2020
    Oh excellent, so if your in the habit of engaging neutral at the light, good news, I don't think i'll be at a light for 20 minutes :), no worries. And i didn't really need an answer "now" more just wanted information on the car that concerned me before considering buying one, but that's not till september at least.

Oh and NuorderSG, are you originally from Singapore? (SG usually implies "Singapore") I lived there for a time designing toys, Wonderful country, some of the happiest moments of my life.

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I don't think a measurable percentage of 812 owners shift to neutral when stopping. I have an F12 and in manual mode the car downshifts to first by itself and keeps you in manual mode going again. No HELE which IMO is a very offensive and worthless gadget for such a car.

17. Scaramanga 007

Mar 23, 2020
    Yea I agree, I honestly wanted to concede to the Knowledge of real Ferrari owners, rather than an opinion of a friend who watches a bunch of Youtube channels all day to get his knowledge base about cars (even if in this case he was right, still...). I'll admit i've seen a few vids, but i don't follow them like too many others, thanks for answering my post, I really appreciate it.

I honestly am no expert, I know a few things, I rather learn from people first hand.