812 Superfast the last front-engined V12 Ferrari sports car? | FerrariChat

812 Superfast the last front-engined V12 Ferrari sports car?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by JasonSpidey, Oct 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JasonSpidey

JasonSpidey Karting

Nov 8, 2010
    This has been on my mind for a bit, since the investor meeting last month. All the reports I read from it suggested that Ferrari will offer a mid-engined 12-cylinder model in the sports car side of the family (as opposed to the GT cars). But as I understand it now, the 812 is the "sporty" V-12 model; the GTC4Lusso is the "GT" 12-cylinder car.

So does that mean Ferrari will offer both a front-engined V-12 sports car to succeed the 812 and a mid-engined V-12 that sells alongside it? Or is the new mid-engined V-12 supposed to replace it?

2. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Here’s What EVO Magazine reported following their discussions with Ferrari after capital markets day:

The strategy includes two mid-rear-engined cars, one a replacement for the 488, the other a model to sit above that to ultimately replace the 812. Both will have petrol-hybrid powertrains with a minimum output of 400bhp per litre.

Ferrari sees its biggest growth area as the gran turismo sector. The next Portofino will be offered with both a V8 and a new V6 engine (which won’t be for a new Dino: it’s not in the product plan), with the GTC Lusso replacement retaining four-wheel drive and being touted as the ‘return of the elegant Ferrari gran turismo’.

All future Ferrari GT cars will be front-mid-engined with a transaxle double-clutch gearbox that gives the option of rear- or four-wheel drive. The cars will be built on a new platform with a wheelbase that can be adapted in length according to application, offering a variety of seating layouts from two-seater to full four-seater.”

3. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Well, that's flat out wrong, there is no way a street car will have 400bhp / L, the image provided at the capital days was a range with the upper being 400, but that was F1 cars...

And, Ferrari never mentioned a V12 mid(rear) engine car..

but, Ferrari did directly say that the first hybrid (no engine size or type, just electric assist in some manner) will be announced very soon (read: 2019 public announcement) and it would be above the 488 but not a hyper car...

Regarding the V12 unassisted by electric motors (but not clear if unassisted otherwise, i.e. turbo or supercharger) Ferrari did indicate it will continue to be made after 2022 but no idea what sort of car or anything else

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I never saw Ferrari saying they would replace the 812 car with a mid engine car.

What they did say is as @JTSE30 says above. However, their materials do leave open the possibility they could do a mid engine V12 car. I have no idea if they will do it, but they could. To answer the OP question, there is another thread about this.

of2worlds, MDEL and RamsHmb like this.