812 Superfast Width for Garage | FerrariChat

812 Superfast Width for Garage

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Nathan.eastham, Jun 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nathan.eastham

Jun 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    Nathan Eastham
    Hi Guys,

Ive been trying to find out the width of an 812 superfast including mirrors to see if it will fit into the opening of my garage (currently being built). Everywhere online it just says the width excluding the mirrors of 1971mm… does anyone know the width of the car with mirrors or alternatively people that own one… how wide are your garages and is it a tight squeeze getting the car in and out?

Thanks in advance,
    Nathan

2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Ferrari's official figure is indeed 77.6 inches (1971 mm). If that doesn't include the extended mirrors,don't the mirrors fold inward for parking using the mirror adjustment switch as they do on my Portofino?

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Even though I don’t have a 812, I do have an old school wide car with mirrors that don’t retract in a single car garage and I was curious:

Car width (including fixed mirrors) = 86”
    Garage entry width = 94”

Interesting because it always seems like there is WAY less clearance than 8”. It is challenging to move the car and I have a couple of rules I follow.

4. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    If the garage is "being built", build it wider.

NGooding and Mimmo Blue like this.
  5. pkl03

pkl03 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I’d be building it wide enough to open the door comfortably.

NYC Fred likes this.
  6. Anders_308

Anders_308 Rookie

Jul 4, 2015
    Bump on this thread, I have the same question? With mirrors folded is total width no more than 1,971 mm? Thanks.

7. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Taken directly from the Ferrari workshop manual. When I go to leave today I'll check my 812 for width mirror to mirror. But it looks like the mirrors aren't the widest point here.

8. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I think you should have a space that is about 2400mm wide, why? because it is extremely difficult to "perfectly" park and one little mistake and you have damaged the car.

However, you will likely need a much wider space if you intend to open a door to enter or exit the car, unless you are going to climb through an open window or out the back hatch...

And, the unfolded mirrors are the widest point. To measure you would have to open the windows and directly measure.

9. oc23

oc23 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2023
    Full Name:
    Rob Yo
    This is going to be my exact situation soon. The F430 is about the same width and my garage opening is 94". Any advice you can offer?

10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The 430 is 84" mirror tip to mirror tip wide.

What I do is try to get the front end straight and watch my driver side mirror as I approach the most narrow part of the entrance very slowly. I keep watching that mirror, if there is about 2" gap I'm good to go. If there is like half that or less I reverse back and try it again. I just keep focused on the gap between that mirror and the garage. I don't care about the other side of the car because I know I'm good with that 2" gap.

Been doing it almost 10 years now....

NYC Fred and oc23 like this.
  11. oc23

oc23 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2023
    Full Name:
    Rob Yo
    Appreciate the response to the old thread. Thanks, that is helpful. I'm also considering trying to widen the opening a few inches on both sides but not sure yet how complicated that will be. Good to know someone has a solution though if I'm not able to do it.

12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The actual narrowest part of my garage are two trim pieces that are there to cover up the gap on each side of the garage door so no one can see the gap from the street. I have thought about removing them, but they are only a half inch wide.

Past that are 2 x 6 boards that I don’t want to remove or cut, but if push came to shove, I could cut out a 6-8” strip around the side mirrors.