'82 in Houston | Page 2 | FerrariChat

'82 in Houston

Discussion in '308/328' started by jgriff, Apr 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Outlaw---

Outlaw--- Rookie

Apr 9, 2010
    Thanks for the info Steve. I may offer him $17k just to see what he says. That plus a major service will put it in the low $20k range which "feels" right to me. This outfit bought it on a whim and they have no idea what they got for their money. But, they aren't stupid and they know what they don't know so I'd even bet that they were the only ones that bid on it.

--Outlaw.

2. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Everything on a Ferrari is an "expensive fix". A quick example is a targo top latch. Try $300 each x2.

Or how about a side view mirror? IF you can find one, they go for $400 (on ebay as we speak). All I am saying is be v e r y careful.

I am going to spend a lot of money getting mine "right". It is worth it to me, but it will take a lot of hard work to save and spend the money to do so with the 308 I own.

MB

3. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Ah, yes, understood. Right you are, seems like the non-QV CIS cars (roughly '80-'83) go for a few thousand less than the rest. Perhaps a good buy then??

4. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    The black car looks nice. I like the patina to the drivers seat, the seat appears to be good without the common crushing of the bottom side bolster. Recent service good, no service records bad. Think anything that can be wrong with a used car. For the price and tires I'm first thinking show car. If you are looking for a driver, the wheels and tires subtract a few thousand from value. Missing the emissions equipment says no to show car. The metric wheels only make sense now for show. Could be a fun driver car if it's otherwise clean. There are no bad years, they are all great, some have minor benefits over others, but generally, no bad years as long as you know what you are getting/buying. The 328 by most peoples standards is ready for a service, so add 3K to 10K to purchace price depending on deferred or new issues. They both look very nice. The squeaking of the 308 is a concern, both would need an inspection. I purchased a car that had a 10K service bill. Not all the work the prior owner paid for had been done so you want someone you feel good about to look the car over.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You are supposed the study the ENTIRE 308 Market of years, carefully compare horsepower per dollar, calculate the adjustment for Audible Thrills, then just buy a NON CAT 1976-77......LOL!

The only 'bad years" are relative. They are ALL nice cars.

There was a run of engines that really burned oil, that's the resaon all the OEM pistons are gone, they used them up rebuilding under Warranty! IIRC that was in 80-81 time frame...Rifledriver would recall.

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Our Verell offers a service to rebuild the column switch thankfully, it's another OEM part that was 'used up' in replacement!

If you find a new one it'll run up to 1,200.00USD.

And it will be cracking, no kidding, I have seen one!

7. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    That's exactly how I meant it. I've learned my lesson and will never use words like those again. :)

Outlaw and I checked out the 328 that nopiston has at Lamborghini Houston. It seems to be a very nice example. Nopiston is very knowledgeable and spent a lot of time with us. I'm trying to convince myself to take the plunge but I've got to go check out the one at Driversource first.

My wife has also found a 456GT she would rather have so that complicates things even more.

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think that's a good game plan......456GT for her ( and kids?), a 328GTS for you.

The 456 joins the 550 as probably the best value in the market right now.....IMO.

So my advice would be to get both of them.......you're "a long time dead" as my UK chatters would say....

Where is the 456?? Lambo of Houston??

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    At least with DriversSource OR Lambo of Houston, you have a dealer that will most likely be there, long term...

Not to say anything bad, about the guys taping the cars together with Scotch tape, or anything.........:rolleyes:

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    When ever a mechanic inquires about the open threaded spinning rear camshaft, I tell them:

"Oh, that was for the Optional Expresso Coffee Grinder......it was an Option"...

They shrug their shoulders, slam the lid closed, and put a State Inspection on the damned thing.....:D :D :D

11. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    The 456 is in California. It's a '95 6 speed and they are asking $50k. It's a much more modern car than the 328 but I'm not sure it will ever be a classic like the 308/28 will be.

We would definitely not get both of them.

As for "long time dead". I've been watching the market and researching these cars since at least as far back as 1997. I did my high school term paper on the 308 in 1987. I'm tired of sitting on the fence and am ready to get one. Think of all the years I've wasted that I could have been driving.

Since you're in Houston BigTex, what do you think about non-climate controlled storage here? Will it get too hot and cause damage to the interior bits?

12. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Yes, Lambo Houston seemed to be a really first class operation. The inventory they have is amazing. Nopiston was very helpful and seemed like the kind of person you would want to buy a car like this from.

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My cars all sit outside in the rain...and hurricanes.

Even over at Vintage Motorcars, they leave them outside to rust...I cannot figure that out.

Another one of mine is in a South Austin alley, down from the Continental Club....

At my apartment I actually have a covered Garage space and also an enclosed Garage, but it's filled with the new Ducati and "projects"........

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ferrari of Houston had a CLEAN 456 on consignemt at $50K.....went begging no offers and the Owner took it home.....6 speed also, red/black

The best 456 on the market right now is that red one in FL with the red piping Daytona interior.....$70K 'ask"......dreamers but it's a very nice car!

15. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    JGriff, the 456 is a heck of a car, and a real bargain at current prices. Decent ones can be had for $50,000. That's pretty good for a car with lowish miles that was something like $225,000 new. My wife wants one too - I'd really consider getting one except that she tends to run into something (fender benders) every few months. Nothing life-threatening, just a quarter panel here, a dented door there, a bent bumper over here...which is fine on a 2002 Chevy Suburban (her current ride)....but not on a 456. Plus, my kids (2,2,3 & 5) like to spill their drinks and occasionally throw up in the car. I just couldn't pull a "Mom My Ride" on a 456....that'd be a crime.

16. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Outlaw and I just got back from looking at the '88 at driversource.

http://www.driversource.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=28

Cosmetically it looked pretty good. It's only been driven about 1500 miles over the last 3 years though so it probably needs a major service. The salesman gave me a really good price on it but I'm thinking I'd have to spend around $7k to get it serviced.