830 HP??? That's crazy | FerrariChat

830 HP??? That's crazy

Discussion in '296' started by XSpeed, Jun 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Guys, I'm positively surprised with the LB.

However, i couldn't find any technical details of this car on Ferrari website, does anybody have the details e.g. weight EU etc. ?

davitd and Alvega like this.
  2. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    paulchua and TheMayor like this.
  3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    amazing but i still bet real hp is just under 800. and real curb weight will be 3600 lbs.
    will there be dealer premium on it though? i dont think so since sf90 didnt

4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    830CV is 818HP

5. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    830 does sound crazy but only like 300hp is gas powered and the rest electric. Aren't all electric cars like Tesla really high hp?

6. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Hard to tell online sarcasm or not these days, but to correct the above numbers: 654hp gas powered + 164hp from the electric motor totalling 818hp.

phanliu, paulchua, Dicecal and 2 others like this.
  7. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My bad. You are right and I stand corrected.

SECRET likes this.
  8. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    No worries, there's a good bit of 296GTB critics so I wasn't sure if I was correcting an intentional joke :D

SonomaRik and paulchua like this.
  9. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have to get more knowledgeable on these hybrid powertrains. After a quick look I thought ,oh no this car is like that goofy BMW I8 with the 3 cylinder motor and the hybrid assist. It actually seems more like a very slightly emasculated SF90. And I for one like the design here

SECRET likes this.
  10. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    With the weight reduction from the SF90 I bet it will be really fun to drive

11. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    what is the reason of not making hybrid naturally aspirated cars?

12. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Do we know that the extra electric HP is actually added at peak HP? Second hand info, but I heard the Artura's electric motor is more for engagement at lower rpm's when HP and torque of ICE motors is the lowest, then the engine takes over at higher RPM's -so you never really get the total HP claimed as it is distributed to level out HP/torque curve

Edward 96GTS, Brendanv and wrs like this.
  13. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    People will throw it on the dyno to find out I guess!

I don't see any reason the electric motor couldn't also assist at high RPM.

14. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    The ICE is making its peak power close to the top RPM, and the claimed power figure is 830HP so that means the electric motor power is added on top of the max power output from the ICE, ie close to max RPM.
    Also, electric motors have a almost flat torque curve (same torque at low or high RPM) and the power is torque X speed, so the peak power will be at the motor's top speed.
    So yes, adding the top power of both ICE and electric motor is a fair calculation of the power train max power.

SonomaRik and junc like this.
  15. Ale55andr0

Ale55andr0 Karting

May 23, 2019

ferrari claim "right on the money" power, so if they say 830, it's 830 (plus 1 or 2 hp)

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Electric motors have full power output at zero RPM and then taper off. Many are of no use at higher RPM and are just used for torque fill-in at low RPM when you have a tiny engine that's tuned for power at high RPM. The norm for the hybrid is you never get both engine and motor outputs combined.

17. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    How does the sf90 make sense now. I get it’s an 8 but does this cannibalize sales of the 90? For the price of it I am happy to keep my GTS and a NA 12 and pick up a 296 as a stablemate. Curious if any current or soon to be owners of a 90 are surprised by the 296?

18. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Low RPM always means low power, as power = torque X speed. I guess you meant "electric motors have full TORQUE at zero RPM and then taper off". Which is true. But as motor RPM increases, the generally reaches a max power number, then the continuous increase of RPM is compensated by the decrease in torque. Example below.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    So max electric power can be summed to max ICE power, providing the electric motor was indeed intended to help as well in the high RPM.

Solid State likes this.
  19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The same that makes naturally aspirated engines vanishing for non hybrid cars - with the current ICE technology a turbocharged engine is simply more efficient, with no objective disadvantage (except for noise lovers, because a naturally aspirated engine will typically rev faster).