83958 Major - 2016 - Air Injection Pump | FerrariChat

83958 Major - 2016 - Air Injection Pump

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by vincenzo, Dec 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    The Air Injection Pump (AIP) was removed from the car many, many years ago. The check valves had failed and allowed wet exhaust gases to backup into the pump. The pump was ruined.

Here is a pic of the original AIP’s vane rotor and the surface it seals against as it spins. The vane rotor was so badly corroded, it seized.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    The Ferrari pump is No Longer Available (NLA) and has not been for many years.

Here is a pic of the new Mercedes pump as a substitute. The pump is identical with the exception of the electrical connector and the inlet/outlet piping.

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    A few snips with a wire cutter and the Gold Connector Kit from Scuderia Rampante and voila... Perfect Ferrari electrical connections.

5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  7. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    After some detailed scraping/ wire brushing back to bare shining steel, it was coated with POR 15 anti-rust coating. Should be good for many more years.

Attached Files:

8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    The “Cut-off Valves” were disassembled, cleaned and inspected. They just snap apart but you must be VERY careful not to crack the plastic.

They had LOTS of iron oxide (rust) residue coating the inside.

9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson

(Adding the F PNs for the air pump and cutoff valve to this thread so that it can be searched, and found, using them.)

11. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  12. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  13. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Jakuzzi likes this.
  14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    for what you need such AIP? this pump has been installed to match the emission rules and has been tested on a dyno system ( right word?? ). when you now go to make a smoke test they have no dyno and the exhaust gases are ok without this pump.

I imported form california from 1984 until 1989 a lot of cars ( not ferrari ) and always put those AIP out. when measuring the gases there has been nearly no difference if using those pumps or not.

also those pumps are a joke for the emissions: the exhaust gases are dilute by those additional air but the pollution is still the same

15. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Yes - you are absolutely correct on everything you say. The AIP only kicks on at cold start.... it is essentially a worthless, lame government mandate.

.... but, I am trying to keep this car at 100% correct.

One thing though: it does cut cold start emissions. The extra oxygen it pumps into the exhaust will allow the catalytic convertor to work more effectively.

16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I removed mine carefully and stored it in a box. If someone want's to be 100% original, easy installation.

17. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    no matter how bad the condition, the old pumps need to be saved!

mine also sat in a box, rusted solid for 15+ years. It is being reborn as a parts donor!

18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #18 Rifledriver, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018

Air pumps work quite well and for a different reason. It was most certainly not junk science. The fire usually goes out in the exhaust leaving unburned hydrocarbons because of a lack of O2. Problem is worse on cold engines. Heat and fuel are present, all that is needed is oxygen. An air pump supplies O2 so remaining HC can fully burn. It is extremely effective. On modern cars with O2 sensors and cats take time for those components to heat up and become active, the air pump covers that gap. Very modern cars with highly developed engine management systems have little or no need for air pumps.

I applaud your efforts in keeping the car intact and original. Ours is as well. The check valves rust out and allow a reverse flow of exhaust cooking everything. They need replacement every few years.

19. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Thanks Brian - your kind words mean a lot to me!

20. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    The POR15 is hardened enough that today the Ferrari air ports could be tapped into the Mercedes Benz AIP. Here it is, ready to install. The POR15 will be covered by the hose and only the OEM yellow zinc will be exposed. The ports took a bit of a beating with the prying out and the tapping back in. Not sure if there is a better method; these ports are not intended to come out!

pshoejberg likes this.
  21. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    Thanks, this is a helpful thread for me. My air pump seized up a few months ago, and I live in California and have a smog test due in January. I ordered supposedly a new Denso air pump that should work (from a guy on eBay with 100% positive rating and over 14,000 transactions). I put the thing in my storage area so I can't see it now, but it might need the Ricambi connector kit, and maybe the check valves should be replaced as well.

My car used to take about 5 minutes to "warm up" before it ran well, and my mechanic found there was a problem with one of the Bosch fuel metering pumps, so I had both of those replaced. Now it takes between 1 - 2 minutes after a cold start before the cars seems to run right. I wonder if replacing the air pump will help.

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

No and a functioning air pump is not really required to pass California smog. Air pump only runs a minute or so after a cold start and operating or not has zero influence on running. Take your car to a Ferrari mechanic well versed in the Testarossa and get it diagnosed.

tommydogs and turbo-joe like this.
  23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as brian said: N O ! ! !

tommydogs likes this.
  24. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    Just passed (California) smog today with disconnected air pump.

turbo-joe likes this.
  25. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Only because the visual inspection was done by a clueless tech.

These pumps only run during the cold start cycle. Once warm, they shut off and have zero effect on emissions.