83958 Major - 2016 - Prep for Engine Drop | FerrariChat

83958 Major - 2016 - Prep for Engine Drop

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by vincenzo, Dec 31, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #1 vincenzo, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here we go again!

Like last time, the car has been in storage for quite a while (too long). Had to go overseas for a job and am now retired. Last time, the car was huridly finished to allow for my unexpected departure. The car ran poorly after the major - FoS and Rifledriver suggested that the cam timing was off. The timing was set per the cam marks....

Personally, I think the cam timing is not the issue - we'll see.

This time, I have PLENTY of time to get it right. I'll be setting it per factory (more or less) timing procedures.

Lots to do, lots to do. Should have the engine out in a few days (yup - I'm slow and old).

Rgds,
    Vincenzo
    PS: If anybody has areas of particular interest - let me know and I'll get extra photos etc etc
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Chief20123

Chief20123 Karting

Dec 22, 2012
    Melbourne,Australia
    Full Name:
    Fred
    What are you doing this time round?, just the belts? are you planning to do anything else?

3. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Now is the time to enjoy your retirement,

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #4 Melvok, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    Hi Vince ... enjoy retirement (like I do) but always use a degree wheel to time cams.

Read this thread too !

Good luck and please keep us informed with loads of pics :D

5. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Just as a matter of curiousity?

Is there a lock pin or some sort of safety mechanism holding the scissor jack up? Or just hydraulics?

Have fun, work at your own pace and enjoy. I've discovered that "old and slow" still works for me.

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    In between the cylinders is a square tube with a locking mechanism that has three mechanical stops. However, removing the AC and throttle cable requires a specific height and work under hydraulics without a mechanical stop in place :-( At that point - i work REAL fast!

The car will need a full going through due to the storage period and age.... lots to come.

rgds,
    Vincenzo

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I hope you will get ready until the new season begins :)

8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #8 vincenzo, Feb 8, 2016
    about to drop the engine....

notice the adjustable brackets - the engine can be adjusted for tilt.

this is a HUGE help to get the engine clear of the shift rod. the engine drops about 4" in the back before the front even moves!

9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #9 vincenzo, Feb 8, 2016
  10. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #10 vincenzo, Feb 8, 2016
  11. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    White / Tan five lug, my twin. watching with interest.

12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Next engine out, I will pull the shift rod!

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Such a stand is very, very handy indeed !

14. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    how does this process go then? do you set it on the brackets first, then screw down the brackets one at a time, or the brackets are just uneven heights front to back and once the engine is set on the stand, you don't adjust the heights of the rear brackets?

15. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I am building my engine stand right now and don't have adjustable brackets yet.

16. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #16 vincenzo, Feb 9, 2016
    The car drives over the lift via a ramp made of a 2x4s with 1/4" bottom plate and 3/4" top plate. The ramps have multi sections so that much of it can be removed to ease access.

When on the front ramp AND rear jack stands, the engine frame rails are at a height which requires the engine cradle supports to be nearly at full extention. The car is 'more or less' horizontal. Once the cradle is placed, the supports are fully extended to bear the +\- weight of the engine. The frame is then fully unbolted while the cradle supports its weight.

Then it is simply a matter of adjusting the rear two supports to lower the rear of the engine. The engine will start to have clearance enough to start pulling it to the rear during this process. By the time the rear supports are fully retracted, the car body is about ready to lift off of the engine.

Don't forget to put the shift shaft into the gearbox as far as possible and retract the rod and bracket into the tunnel as far as possible before moving the engine!

As the rear drops and the cradle is pulled to the rear, the shift shaft is well clear of its bracket before the front of the engine drops vertically.

ez..

rgds,
    Vincenzo

17. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    bought mine at either home depot or lowes - but it was years ago....

18. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    thanks!

so you didn't make those brackets with the jack screw? they come like that as an assembly?

19. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    the plate over the 4x4 was in the timber framing section. then add some large and thick washers to further distribute the load. The jack screw (threaded rod) and nut come with the upper bracket already attached to the threaded rod.

It would be super simple to fabricate if you have a brake. Use some thin plate with a nut welded onto it.

rgds,
    vincenzo

20. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #20 vincenzo, Feb 9, 2016
    here is a detail shot you may find helpful.

It is all 4x4 plus 2x4 plus 2x6 - all screwed and glued. The slight cracking you see is from the years of storage rather than the load.

The overall width is based on the lift's dimensions. The stand's wheels travel outside of the lift's legs.

If I was doing it over, I'd use a 2x8" in place of the 2x6. Not so much for the load, but for providing some extra width at the caster attachments.

have fun,
    Vincenzo

PS: my gut says that the plate wrapped around the 4x4 is critical. it distributes any lateral load across the 4x4 and prevents the timber from splitting when the rod wants to 'tilt'.

21. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I welded up a similar cradle out of 2" square tubing.

22. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    ok thanks! I found the piece. 4 in. x 4 in. 12-Gauge Galvanized Pier Block Elevated Post Base

23. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    pics would be appreciated

some day I'll get a TIG welder.... until then, screws and glue!

rgds,
    Vincenzo

24. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Easier and safer to remove the shift rod. Just pushing it forward isn't always enough and numerous people have bent their shift rod this way. Be safe. Remove it. It's very easy and makes clearance a breeze.

25. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    if the engine remains horizontal when it is dropped vertically, you are correct - interference is likely.

if the engine is tilted first, then pulled rearward before the front of the engine is moved down (or chassis moved up), - there is plenty of room.

ymmv,
    Vincenzo