84 308 black plastic escutcheon around trunk latch | Page 2 | FerrariChat

84 308 black plastic escutcheon around trunk latch

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Quasimotor, Feb 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Absolutely on the money, Dave. Good point.

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks Dave, my goal here isnt to pi$$ off anyone. I agree, things dont come out on this site like they do face to face but I stand by my original point. Saying Im this way or that way because I live in canada is stupid, just as bad as saying im this way or that because Im black or chinese, it just wouldnt go over as well with the latter. My original beef (no pun intended) was with the fact that quasimotor whined about the cost of a small part (89GBP approx) and mentioned the word scrimp with his ferrari. That is what I hate and that is the kind of mentality that lables 308 owners as cheap and it lessens the value of the car.

3. Quasimotor

Quasimotor Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    I wasn't "whining" about any cost. I was remarking about the necessity of buying something I was going to throw away. Throwing away is stupid. You don't have to be Canadian to be stupid. I don't recall using the word, "scrimp" in relation to my Ferrari. It's called, Lola, and what Lola wants, Lola gets. Stop misquoting me. I accepted your apology. Let's be friends, go out in the playground and find somebody else to beat up on.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Oppps, "enjoy skimping" not scrimping and I wasnt apologizing.

5. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

>Yes, gaybriel, you are right, I conceed and I understand quasiwhatever that stepping up from a sunbeam (dont they make lawnmowers?) means you will keep your ferrari concours correct at any cost. Im sorry.

Ohhh, that is sooo clever a response! That brilliant misspelling of "Gabriel" has us all thunderstruck with awe at your perspicacity!

Much like your equally intellegent misspelling of "concede."

> Saying Im this way or that way because I live in canada is stupid, just as bad as saying im this way or that because Im black or chinese

No its not. They aren't pretentious. *You are.* :)

>Oppps, "enjoy skimping" not scrimping and I wasnt apologizing

I think everyone "concedes" that......night, night, Newman.

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Gee Guys,
    Please let's everyone just drop the personalities & address the technical issues. You all have relevant knowledge to contribute.

A FAVOR:
    I have a couple of people who have asked Unobtainium Supply about making them a trunk or hood release bezel. I'm going to go after the ones on eBAY to polish up & use as smasters for molds. I propose that it's in the best interests of all of us if you wouldn't bid against me as I can ensure a continuing supply of the pieces once I have a master.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #32 BigTex, Feb 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks Verrell!

My rear trim is also cracked. It's going to be in the shop for a while, can you use a broken one, glued or repaired and buffed for the mold???

HTH

See guys? Just technical, without reference to gender, nationality, financial status or orientation.

From Texas, where we are over run with illegal immigrants, perversion, and d--- Superbowl Cheerleaders. In a quiet, long suffering way, of course!

Hurry up with that latch baby, Verell is waiting.......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Yes,
    It just needs to be a cosmeticly correct part, altho the higher the master's quality, the better the mold. For example, I borrowed Carmen's repaired 328 headlight stalk to make my mold

I can take a part in rough shape,repair it as much as possible, make a mold, cast a new part, then sand & polish it to make a master for the final production mold. I did this for my 1st lever bezel mold. It's a lot of work tho.

Making a mold takes 8-12 hours of work & all of my production capacity for a weekend! Making a 2nd one for a repaired master doubles the time of course.

AWW, SHUCKS,
    I just checked eBAY & I posted too late as I see that
    wayneatpelicanparts( 183) has bid on the trunk latch. I'm still going to try for it. (Wayne, contact me, If all you need is a new trunk release bezel, can we make a deal?)

If worst comes to worst, I'll pull my release out & pull it apart. However, I really prefer to have a master part on file as it gives me a lot more flexibility.

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    JUST BOUGHT A TRUNK LATCH ASSEMBLY:
    OK, I've just won the eBAY trunk latch(Sorry WayneAtPelecanParts). I can deliver reproduction bezels 3-4 weeks after they're delivered.

ORDERING INFO:
    I can't set final pricing until I've got the part and can figure out how hard it will be to reproduce. I don't expect them to cost more than $75 tho. If Wayne or anyone else is interested in buying a reproduction bezel, send eMAIL to:
    [email protected]

I'll be able to finalize pricing shortly after I receive the latch & see how challenging it will be to make the reproductions.

10. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Yes, I stopped bidding on that one. I would still like to know the answer to the original question - the two black bezels look the same to me from the outside...

As for the rest of you guys - you really need to chill out. I hardly think such nasty comments are appropriate for someone looking to replace a small plastic piece. I didn't even notice it was broken until the other day. It's not a matter of "cheapening out" - it's more of a matter of whether it's really worth it to pay $180 or so for the black plastic piece that comes with the handle and cable, etc. - just to replace the plastic.

-Wayne

11. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Wayne,
    Based on a last minuit study of the FPCs before placing my bids, I'm sure of the following:
    - My hardcopy FPCs show different bonnet & boot ease lever ass'y P/Ns! However, the lever ass'y part#s in Ferrari.uk's online FPCs are the same for the bonnet & boot. In both sources There appears to be a narrow bezel built into the ass'y.

- The bonnet release has an additional wider plastic bezel that the lever assembly slips into.

I'm assuming that the lever assembly is made as follows:
    The chrome lever appears to pivot onto a pin that goes thru a molded plastic box. The narrow bezel is molded around the front of the box.

According to FPCs, the boot release has no additional bezel, just the one inherent in the lever ass'y. If there is one, then it's missing from the TAV for every FPC from '77 thru the '86 328.

I'll closely compare both ass'ys, compare to my '82 308 GTSi QV & report on any differences I find.

I must admit that I haven't looked at my car to confirm my understanding from the FPCs. It's up on a lift with another project going on under it so I can't lower it to get into it for a few more days.

12. 328GTB

328GTB Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Verell,

Please post pictures and pricing once you have it all worked out. I just noticed mine is cracked as well. BTW, the 328/308 PN 63011800 is the same for both cars for the front and back latch releases. Courtesy of Ferrari Classic Parts.

Carmine

13. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    My bonnet & trunk lever assemblies came in this evening.

The bezel around the bonnet lever ass'y is a metal stamping. Most it should ever need for restoration is sanding & repainting.

The two lever assemblies appear to be identical. I don't know why the FPCs listed two different part #s.

They are made as I speculated earlier in this thread with a thin (~5mm) bezel molded as a lip around the front of the plastic housing.

The ones I got look like they were out in the weather for a while, chrome slightly blistered on the levers, & the plastic appears weathered. I'm confident that I can restore it's finish & make a good mold tho. The plastic appears to be adequately thick, so I suspect that the reason it's breaking is just weakening due to ageing & years of use.

I could use some photos showing where the housings are breaking so I can investigate reinforceing the weak points.

14. Ferrari_co_uk

Ferrari_co_uk Karting

Apr 16, 2003
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Langfield
    Hi All,

Carmine is correct. The front handle assy part #61756700 and the rear handle assy part #60086105 are BOTH superceeded by part #63011800. This is in stock and the price is £70.60

This would suggest that the handle casing as listed for the front, part #60765500, would also fit for the rear handle. I don't know this for sure because I haven't tried it. Anyway this is also in stock and the price is £12.00

Both these parts can be ordered securely online at www.owners.ferrari.com

Best
    Mark

15. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    I ordered this from Jeff Howe (Ferrari UK). I'll let everyone know how it looks when it comes in...

-Wayne

16. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Yeah, I did the same. Did verell ever get the Unobtanium operation going on that part? You out there Verrel?

17. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    It's currently in the mail - I should be getting it any day now. Anyone know how to get the old one off?

-Wayne

18. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    First you go into your luggage space and pull the four silver knobs that hold on the carpeted covers that cover the rear lights access. There you will find the cables that run to your two hood latches. A small allen wrench loosens the cylindrical bolt on the cable. Do not remove these. Just slide them back as far as possible on the cable and retighten the allen nut. (this keeps you from losing the bolts).

Next go to the latch and gently pull and (with a flat screwdriver) delicatly pry the plastic housing out of the metal body. Open the lever and under it you'll find a 1/4 inch bolt. Undo that and lift off the cable end. That's it.

Now, you'll notice that the "flange" part from UK has nothing to do with this unit. The flange is meant to hold back a carpet (ala the front latch) and has to be returned to UK. More on my progress soon. I've decided to rebuild the plastic surround with a substance called Marine Tex.

19. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Please don't flame me to shreds!

One of the reasons Fchat's tech Q&A section is so busy is because of all the do it yourselfers working on their cars and picking each other's brains. I have done a lot of work on my 308 with help from people here and have learned a lot about my car. I'm ashamed to admit that I have also saved money. Yes, I actually do enjoy working on my 308, but I also like to save money. Does this make me "cheap" 308 owner that is skimping (scrimping?) on his car and can't actually afford to own it? I hope not! But if it does, then I would think that everyone here is a bit of a cheapskate that can't afford their car! ;-) I guess If I truly could AFFORD my 308 by this definition, I would just drop it off at the best restoration place and pick it up next year, better than new. But if I had that kind of money, I would buy another Ferrari and maintain it myself too. What a cheapskate I am! I don't think that trying to D.I.Y. and save some money is a bad thing, within reason.

Good example: The previous owner of my car had the interior redone. He "cheaped out" and did the seats in fabric. Turns out, the fabric seats are the most comfortable 308 seats I've sat in. They are wonderful. They look great, they are comfy, he did a great job. A lot of people at Fchat drives sit in them and say "Wow, these fabric seats are great!" BUT it's not concourse. I know concourse quality is important to some people, but not to me. I just love the car, and I drive it. Fabric seats are fine with me! I'm sure the previous owner did this to save money over using leather, but as long as the result is good looking and works, I think it's OK. If I were a concourse guy, I would not have bought the car. However, as a guy who doesn't really care about that, I got a much better deal because the interior is not original. Works for me! (There's limits...I don't want a Ford engine in my 308, thank you very much...)

It's sad that some people let their Ferraris go without proper service, or "mickey mouse" stuff, but I guess that's their right as the owner of the car. On the bright side, when you buy the car from that person, you are going to get it cheap. (And then spend twice as much as you saved fixing it! D'oh!)

One of the things I like about Tech Q&A is that everyone here is basically polite and helpful, and they rarely start flaming each other. I almost never post in any other sections (except New England) for that reason. Let's all be friends! Just because some of us are "cheap" doesn't make us bad Ferrari owners!

Birdman

20. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Bravo, Birdman. I could not have written it better myself - and I write for a living. Have a look at the thread I'm moderating regarding Leatherique article for Forza.

21. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    CRAP! You're kidding right? I specifically ordered that part based on the information that Mark provided in this thread!

-Wayne

22. Ferrari_co_uk

Ferrari_co_uk Karting

Apr 16, 2003
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Langfield
    ...is exactly what I said.

Wayne you can of course return this part for a full credit.

Best
    Mark

23. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Apparently your remarks (and Jim Howe's response to my email) wasn't clear as both myself and Quasimoto ordered it from you assuming that you were talking about the "black plastic escutcheon around trunk latch".

Now I have to ship that back to the UK - probably not worth the shipping costs.

-Wayne

24. Quasimotor

Jan 4, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Full Name:
    George Avgerakis
    Mark, don't sweat it, man. You've got better things to do with your day than hearing a bunch of restorers crappin' about a bad part ID. I don't think either of us mind sending back the part, but I just want to know what your procedures are for doing that. Do you give us an RMA number, or do you want me to just send it back to your attention?

Thanks for all the trouble, mate. You did your best and this stuff is never quite as simple as it should seem.

Quaz

25. Ferrari_co_uk

Ferrari_co_uk Karting

Apr 16, 2003
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Langfield
    Hi George,

It was just a shame it wasn't the part you were after. Just pop it back in the post marked for my attention.

Best
    Mark