'84 Mondial failed emissions | FerrariChat

'84 Mondial failed emissions

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by surfdoc37, Nov 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. surfdoc37

surfdoc37 Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    Not totally unexpectedly recorded high levels across the board of NOx, HC, and CO.

Per Missouri statute, I have to spend $450 on parts, or on parts plus labor at a state certified emissions test facility, then I can get a waiver if the car still doesn't pass.

Anybody had this type of experience?

Are there any reliably successful fixes? As long as I have to spend $450, might as well have a clean running car, too. Or will that be far more than $450?

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hard to say, but I'd definately get it on a 4 gas analyzer at a reputable shop, before trying again.

Don't think I'd want to use the waiver unless necessary, you go into a database at that time and it may effect future sales of the car.

Fix it right. An '84 ought to be a piece of cake!

3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Probably needs a new catalyst. My 82 Mondial needed one last year to pass in Virginia.

4. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20316

Summary of my story is that my 84 308 ended up having the cats rebuilt, then passed. Call Lake Forest Sports Cars (lfsc.com), talk to the service guys (Lee, etc). They took 'em out, sent 'em to some dude in California (I think mine was the 7th or 8th they had done this for), put 'em back on, and even had it tested for me. Passed! New cats run $1800 at the dealer.

5. tesseract

tesseract Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Jeff W.
    When I didn't pass the State's emissions test, I paid the "mechanic" $50 to tweak my carbs ('78 308) until the emissions sensor indicated acceptable levels. It took about five minutes. The primary tweak was to take the gas sensors and stick them into the exhaust pipe of the Hyundai sitting in the bay next to my car. Readings were good at that point.

Good luck.

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Gee, I wish it were that easy and cheap in Illinois.
    :(

7. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z

Seriously... I wish it was that easy.
    I don't think there is a way to cheat the system here... as you pull up, a computer takes a picture of your license plate, logs it. If you were bold enough to put it on a different car assured of passing, and added a little "gift" to the guy for ignoring the fact that your Chevy Blazer does not look much like a Ferrari, more power to you!

8. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I'll bet it's the cat. I needed a new one on my '85 two years ago. Went from very dirty to very clean.

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I guess the system could be passed if you had the cooperation of the operator. On the form it already states all the penalties for trying to bribe somebody. After all this is Illinois where untrained truck drivers were able to get a license for money with sometimes deadly consequences.

Some people get away with murder and I can't get my car on the street.

10. surfdoc37

surfdoc37 Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    Spent $50 on a K & N filter, then in for a $400 tune up (if it's that cheap) then take another crack at 'er. If I fail, a new Hyper-Flow cat is $769, for the next go round in 2 years. This is starting to bother me less and less, apart from the global warming thing.

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    What was done during the $400 tune up? Is the shop that did the work good with the FI system or are they just a bunch of parts changers?