85 Testarossa Wheel/Tire Upgrade | Page 2 | FerrariChat

85 Testarossa Wheel/Tire Upgrade

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by wpdent, Mar 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fuentesa3

fuentesa3 Rookie

Jun 15, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Arturo
    I've had my 85 TR (Euro version) for about 9 months and recently started looking for tires, and came across this thread. Mine has the Michelin TRX 240/45VR415 Front, and 280/45VR415 Rear. I saw that they are difficult to get, and the best price I saw was $551 (www.performanceplustire.com), kind of expensive. I saw that some of you are going to the 16" single lug wheels, because the tires are more readily available and cheaper.

I have a few questions for those of you that have gone through this:

1) If a new set of wheels costs $3000-$4000, isn't it still cheaper to get the expensive tires, since the tires last aproximately 40k-50k miles? It seems like you would have to go through 3 sets of tires before it becomes more cost effective to get new wheels.

2) If I were to change wheels (I have the metric size Euro trx), are the wheel sizes interchangeable as long as they are single lug or do modifications need to be made? How much would a set of wheels realistically run me?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. mini_ferrari

mini_ferrari Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Jerry Preisel
    #27 mini_ferrari, Mar 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey guys give me a shout if you need the TRX's, I'm the resident Ferrari nut. The 240's are normally $502.00, FChat price is $446.78, the 280's are normally $408.00, FChat price is $363.12. These are still made by Michelin France, we are the NA distributor for them. Also the 240 is the TRX-GT tread, which is going to be different. This is the tire that the BMW M6 came with, Michelin decided that this would be a more popular tire to reproduce. Just ask for Jerry when you call in, or you can shoot me an email.

Jerry

Here's the TRX-GT
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    #28 APA#1, Mar 24, 2008
    You could machine the hubs down like I did. Now any 112MM wheel will fit .. Plus on the rear you get more lip.

Gets rid off the ko hub permanently.......

4. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    4YACHT: Wow....can you share any details with us about machining the hubs? This machining converts a single-lug car to a 5-lug car with a 112mm bolt circle? So the wheel offset remains the same for the early TRs? If I may ask....have you logged many miles and stresses with this conversion? I have never heard of anyone doing this before, very intriguing!! I wonder how many early TR owners would consider this conversion? I would love to hear more!

5. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    #30 APA#1, Mar 25, 2008
    I used the 112MM bolt pattern so that I could use these wheels on my TR. I could have just as easily used the 114.? pattern. This would have allowed any Ferrari wheel to be used, or ANY 4.5" wheel with the proper offsets.

You do gain additional backspacing of about 1.25" from where the factory KO wheels laid. Also you can remachine the hub to accept any hub centric size required. I chose 66.5MM because of the wheels.

There should be no issue otherwise as the hub thickness is substantail enough.

6. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Man...4Yacht..., that's fantastic work hands down..:) I understand why yer running 112mm PCD, since those are Mercedes Benzes PCDs and the posted wheels are IF not replicas of the SLRs right?
    You're saying that the bolt pattern/PCD can be 'tailored' as such, meaning you can run 108X5 (Ferraris/Volvos/Saabs!) or 120X5 (BMW/Aston Martin/Jaguar) or 114.3X5 (Toyota camry!!!) ? I believe it's doable but the centre-bore (spigot) has got to be spot on to prevent 'wobbling' and of course the correct offsets for proper fitment. Kool...:)

7. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    The are not replica wheels.

Could also do 4.5". All are doable. The hub can be turned down to 45MM no problem. I sent mine out to be done.

8. tng2000

tng2000 Rookie

Jan 22, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Stan B.
    +1
    Until that post I would not of considered "single nut" TR's which are that much more affordable.
    Please post the details of the mods you did !

9. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Pirelli have just made a couple of tyres for you chaps

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirelli-collezione/p-zero/225-50yr16-pirelli-p-zero.html

&

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/255-50yr16-pirelli-p-zero-asimmetrico.html

I have done my back in emptying the lorry from Pirelli which also came with a load of new Pirelli 125R12 tyres for the Fiat 500. https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/fiat/500.html

The tyres for you though are the Pirelli P-Zero system, so directional fronts and P-Zero Assimetrico on the rear.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login