87-328 GTB-Need to know how to remove LH quarter-glaass surround | FerrariChat

87-328 GTB-Need to know how to remove LH quarter-glaass surround

Discussion in '308/328' started by greg328, Dec 28, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    This is related to my other thread about my broken fuel filler lid hinges. I'm having to install new hinges and pins on the rearmost upright "C-Pillar" metal trim that contains the hinge tube for these pins. This is just in front of the gas filler area.

I've managed to remove the small metal panel inside the filler area that traps the C-pillar. I had to drill out the one rivet, then pry it out. It is secured, in addition to the rivet, with LOTS of gummy black 3M goop, so it took a bit of work to get it out.

Now that I have the rear upright trim piece exposed, and I did remove the upper hex screw from it, I cannot see how to actually remove this quarter-glass rear trim piece. The reason I have to remove the C-pillar is because the lower hinge pin cannot be removed and re-installed because there is NO clearance between the lower hinge pin and the black horizontal fender trim. Ferrari in it's wisdom trapped the lower hinge pin with ZERO clearance in case the hinge breaks and needs repair. The upper hinge pin was easily slipped out.

So, my question: Can the rear vertical trim piece be removed alone, or does the entire LH rear quarter glass have to come out? I think the whole piece and surrounding frame will have to come out.

If it all needs to come out, I need to know the procedure. There is a forward upper screw, just in front of the driver door, but looking at it, the screw is driven from above and there's no way to remove it from the forward trim piece! Crazy! So, there is no logical apparent way to do this job that I can see.

I'm stopping until I can get some good advice from the experts on here. I did consult the Newman thread where he fully-restored a 78 GTB and there are a couple good photos of this area being removed, but no explicit procedure explained. Here's a link, page 3, post 52:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/339674-78-308-gtb-cosmetic-restoration-3.html

Any procedural help would be greatly appreciated,
    Greg
    Houston TX
    87 328 GTB

2. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    I did both sides you can look it up on this site lots of pics removing and installing 1/4 panel windows putting them back in is the trick that you can see in the pic,s have fun

3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Sigma, any chance you can post the related link(s)?
    Greg

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

4. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #4 furmano, Dec 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Newman's thread you posted above has a lot of good info and pics. Also viper_driver's thread here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/262409-gtb-qv-49461-refurb.html

I learned everything I know about GTB restoration from those guys.

Any cracking job will require force with the right tools. I highly recommend the ATD 8584 tool set or purchasing some of the tools individually. The pictures below show how they were used.

Use a 1/8" drill bit for the rivets and remember to protect the surrounding area when drilling. I would even lay down some plastic over your rear shelf and carpet. The metal bits of rivet with black putty can really ruin the upholstery.

Drill out the two rivets inside the gas filler box pointing into the 'C' pillar, drill out the 3-4 rivets on the 'B' pillar which are behind the interior upholstered trim piece, the one held in with two black phillips screws, and then pry the window frame out, with most force applied to the top half of the frame.

The bottom edge of the window frame will remain locked into the trough in the body panel. Do not pry on that edge, it will be essentially stationary during the removal, only rotating in place as the top edge of the window frame is rotated out.

-F
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Furman,
    Thanks so much for the helpful phone conversation earlier today, much appreciated!

I'm going to drill out those 2 exposed rivets and HOPEFULLY find a way to remove, or at the very least, raise the C-pillar a bit so I can remove the broken-off lower hinge and associated pin. That's all I'm trying to do, ultimately, is get that broken lower hinge off and the new one on. Such an ordeal! Hopefully the full glass assembly can stay in situ.

I'll keep the parts you suggested in mind, should I need them. By the way, I never asked, why did you remove your quarter glass?

Best,
    Greg

6. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #6 furmano, Dec 28, 2013
    I had leaks at the windows and I needed to redo the shelf material. Since this was just a cosmetic thing and I suspected it would take a lot of money to do, and I suspected any local shop doing the job would be doing it for the first time as well, and I have some mechanical aptitude, I decided to tackle it myself. :)

And this is what the other side looked like after the interior panels were re-upolstered and the black panel repainted, ready for the window frame to be inserted. :)

-F

7. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    F,
    Car looks great, congrats, and thanks again. Gonna tackle this again tomorrow PM, will report back here..
    Greg

8. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Great posts and pics Mr Furman.

9. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Explored Viper Driver's thread, excellent work, but didn't really outline the exact process for removing a GTB's rear quarter window.

I'm hoping somebody (Furmano?) will outline exactly the process involved. Our phone conversation outlined the basics, and I think I understand that forward and rearward rivets need to be drilled out, but I'd appreciate a precise location description as well.

Furman, you did indicate that there are rivets under the leading edge's interior trim, as well as the two visible under the cosmetic plate I removed near the gas cap. The 2 questions I'd like answered before I move forward taking a drill to my 328:

1) Does anybody know if simply drilling out the two rear rivets, along with removal of the upper hex screw, will allow the single, rear c-pillar to come out? I know it will involve some prying and manipulation, but I want to avoid unnecessary removal of the entire quarter glass if possible. Essentially, I need to know how the 4 pieces surrounding the quarter glass interlock with each other.
    I'm hoping I can manipulate the c-pillar alone out, after the two rear rivets are removed.

2) If above is not possible, are the forward and rearward rivets the ONLY ones to be removed, before the entire quarter glass assembly can be removed? Will the glass tilt downward? Will pry tools be necessary on all sides of the glass? Is the lower edge interlocked into the body?

All these points would be good to know, before I move any further on this. Remember, my only goal is to install the lower fuel door's hinge and pin, which cannot be done with the c-pillar in place due to lack of clearance against the fender trim piece.

Thanks,
    Greg

10. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    To the top..

anybody???

:)

GG

11. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    A closer look at the pics in Furman's pics in post #4, specifically the 3rd from the bottom, is revealing.
    It appears the rear c-pillar remained on the car as the other quarter window surround bits came out. This may be the good news I need, because it shows that the 4 window surround trim pieces can be separated while in situ.

12. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    #12 Sigmacars, Jan 2, 2014
  13. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    That's a GTS isn't it? Mine is a GTB, are they different in quarter glass removal? Not clear on the wire trick, can you explain further?

14. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    As I recall, there is a detailed thread in the archives on how to pull the window.
    I'll see if I have a link 'cause this site's search isn't the best.

15. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Clyde that would be great, thank u.

16. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Furmano confirmed that the window is only held by 3 rivets on the b - pillar and 2 on the c-pillar. Then it pries down from the top. Sounds about right. .

17. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    #17 Sigmacars, Jan 2, 2014
  18. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Everybody note, the GTS and the GTB are very different in this area. Any images or descriptions of the GTS 3/4 window have NO relation to the GTB 3/4 window, none. The glass may the same but I suspect even that is different.

Thanks Sigmacars for contributing but anyone who is working on a GTB should not use these images as reference as they will only confuse the process.

So Greg, hows it going?

-F

19. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Greg this image is misleading. The 'B' pillar trim along with the top trim can be removed while the 'C' pillar trim piece is in place; unscrew that hex screw as you did.

However, it doesn't work the other way around. The 'C' pillar trim can NOT be removed while 'B' pillar trim and top trim are in place. Make sense?

-F

20. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Furman,
    Glad you chimed in, yes, Sigmacar's pics are of a GTS which has an entirely different rear quarter glass trim assembly than a GTB. Looks like the GTS has rivets along the lower edge, where the GTB has only forward and rearward rivets on the B and C pillars, as you have said. Also, the rear quarter glass on a GTB cannot be popped out or removed from the seal using string, as the gasket is much different.

I've ordered the plastic trim tool set you've recommended as well as a glass-pull suction cup. When these things arrive, I'm going to proceed. In the meantime I'm going to safety-cover the inside of the glass to prevent a slipped drill to destroy the glass! By the way, I've got some 3M Strip=Calk on the way as well to use on re-assembly.

Amazing isn't it, all this to simply replace the small hinges on the fuel lid door???!!

Greg

Edit--saw your next post--yes, it's now evident the C-pillar alone cannot come out. No room to wiggle it loose. The entire glass/moulding assembly as one unit has to come out! BUMMER!!

21. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    First off, let's all hold hands and agree, once and for all, that on the GTB, the 'C' pillar window trim can NOT be removed by itself; the 'B' pillar trim and the top trim, aka, the rest of the window frame, has to come out too. :p

Let me repeat for emphasis, nearly nothing about the GTS is the same as the GTB in this area of the car. Not the trim, not the assembly. Not the methods for removal and I suspect not the even the glass. As well meaning as our GTS brothers are to help, they pretty much can't. :)

Lot's of restoration jobs start out this way. :)

-F

22. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yep, indeed. Funny though, I've been blessed to have found a pristine 328; all the rear parcel shelf fabric is perfect, no need to replace. My car was apparently pampered its entire life. Heck I've only driven it maybe 1,500 miles in 2 years! A shame really, but it's mostly because I was servicing it and chasing a hard start problem. All fixed now, car is perfect, except for the gas cap louver door that fell off last month and thus started this new project!!

Greg

23. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    I am sorry I did not know that

24. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    No worries. I just didn't want Greg or any other GTB owner to get side tracked.

When I did this job several GTS owners told me how the glass just pops out. It took me a couple of weeks to finally realize the GTS isn't put together the same as the GTB. :)

-F

25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    GTS has a hinged full louver panel over the whole window.
    The whole thing opens to refuel...

Our GTBs have only a small louver panel over the tank filler.
    The complete quarter panel glass is exposed.