87 328--need advice on hard start issue-redux! | FerrariChat

87 328--need advice on hard start issue-redux!

Discussion in '308/328' started by greg328, May 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #1 greg328, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    OK, I'm starting a new thread to hopefully help resolve a problem that's been ongoing with my car. A few of you on here will know this issue from the "87 328 Hard Start" thread here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/392334-hard-start-87-328-need-advice.html

Please don't crucify me for starting a new thread, I just wanted a fresh start, as I've eliminated several possibilities.

The problem: Car will randomly not start, regardless of cold or hot engine condition. One morning it will fire off on the first crank, next morning, I can crank for a while, several times, won't catch. Once it starts, the car runs as smooth as a Lexus, amazingly smooth and powerful--I love this car! However, I'm scared to take it anywhere, because it already left me stranded once; I had to tow it home.. :-(

Several on here proposed that it could be caused by my Mirage alarm, but after careful troubleshooting and reasoning, I don't believe it is the cause. Reason? When the alarm is properly triggered, it totally kills the starter. Nothing at all when the key is turned. During my hard-or no-start episodes, the starter works wonderfully, except for that it won't start the car! The Mirage alarm does not inhibit ignition, it inhibits the starter circuit.
    That rules out the alarm.

Second, I've replaced several components to new, to help eliminate possible causes: new Bosch fuel pump, fuel accumulator, fuel filter. Problem still exists.

Third, I've tested the 2 flywheel sensors, they read normal. Plus, if they weren't, why does the car start and run fine on any given day???? :)

Mystery--a few times when the car wouldn't crank, I tested for spark with an inline spark tester, and it showed no spark. Plus, I could smell fuel. This has been the single-most confusing aspect of my problem, as it has sent me in another direction, towards a possible ignition issue.

OK--here's why this is really confusing: On the occasions that I can coax the car to start, it's done by pumping the accelerator. This leads me to believe it may be a fuel issue. Might this be the Cold Start Injector? I need more info on this, and will dutifully perform a search here.

The ultimate mystery: Why is this problem random? How can I have a bad sensor, if every other day the car starts and runs normally?

Surely somebody else here has dealt with this exact issue, and has found the solution.
    I would appreciate any advice that would help to pinpoint anything that may RANDOMLY fail to function normally. This must be my problem.

Thanks in advance,
    Greg in Houston

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I also replaced the 2 ignition modules. No change. The other thing I need to mention, is, once started when cold, the engine runs great, so I don't think my problem is the WUR.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Cold start injector does not have anything to do with having spark or not. So, no!

Random eletrical stuff is very hard to troubleshoot. If I were you, I would start a few long term experiments:

1. Remove (at least disable) the after market alarm for a month or two or until the problem resurfaces (and then leave it out until you have it fixed).
    2. Change out the master relay controlling the power to ignition control unit
    3. Take out the ECU and inspect for cold solder joints (or touch up all of them).

Those are a few things to try, and they cost little.

PM (or wait for him to repsond) Steve Magnusson. He is the master of this sort of thing.

3. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    When you mention the flywheel sensors "read normal" how have you tested them? Resistance tests wont work if thats what you have done. You need to check the output on an oscilloscope as one might be giving marginal output. I have seen exactly the symptoms you have seen, on other cars with similar sensors and its been either metallic dirt on the sensor or bad contacts on the wiring to them.

Opening the throttle increases the cranking revs just enough to trip the sensor output over the level it needs, as the engine can turn more easily as there is no vacuum to pull against. The car runs OK because at idle RPM the sensor output is more than sufficient.

4. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yelcab,
    I appreciate the advice, and please keep it coming!!!--but, remember, the alarm only kills starter, no ignition. It can't be the cause. I know many of you want to point to the alarm, but remember, it only interrupts the starter, not the ignition circuit. The starter cranks as normal.

Where exactly is the master relay controlling the ignition circuit? I'll check the relay panel in the dash.

When you refer to the ECU, are referring to the Jetronix fuel ECU in the trunk passenger side, or the Microplex Ignition ECU in the trunk driver's side? Are you saying to open the thing up and check all the solder joints?

I appreciate the help,
    Greg

5. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Maybe I just need to order a couple new flywheel sensors from Superformance UK. Theirs are much more affordable than the usual US suppliers, but I read somewhere that the bracket is not a perfect fit. You are correct, I only measured resistance on my flywheel sensors, as per Steve's advice. Again, if they are indeed marginal, would that still allow normal engine operation once started?

Thank you,
    Greg

6. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Yes. The sensor output on these simple coil/magnet-type sensors increases with flywheel speed. If they are marginal then there can be enough output when the engine is running but not enough when cranking. You could take them out and check if there is anything metallic stuck to the sensor as this can cause this problem as it interferes with the signal. There are in-line connectors for each sensor and the round bulkhead connector. I would check/clean all pins on the inline and round connector and the rectangular Molex one next to it.

There is no relay in the ignition feed, only the ignition switch. There might be an outside chance its the switch, ie breaking the ignition feed when turned to the crank position but never come across that.

The other possibility is some contact problem or fault in the ignition which is causing it not to work when the supply voltage drops to the 10 or so volts which happens during cranking owing to the starter motor load.

Its worth doing the usual visual inspection of contacts although you might have done this. The ones on the fuse board are terrible quality with a very small contact area and check for any signs of discoloration. The power feeds through connectors behind the passenger footrest so visually check here for any corrosion etc.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Do you have a wiring diagram?

Master Relay is Relay U for controlling of key operated devices.
    There are 3 other relays next to the ECU in the trunk on the right hand side.

162, relay for the protection of oxygen sensor system (probably not a problem)
    164, relay for the throttle microswitch, (at least pull it and test its functionality)
    165, Relay for electrovalve controlling frequency cut off valve (likely not your starting problem).

Good luck.

8. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Quote:
    There are in-line connectors for each sensor and the round bulkhead connector. I would check/clean all pins on the inline and round connector and the rectangular Molex one next to it.
    Endquote:

These may be my problem. I've disconnected these before in the past year, several times, but I've checked them again several times recently. They are securely fastened. I will disconnect/reconnect again. and spray some contact cleaner in there. Logic would dictate-- a recent operation/change would be the cause of my new problem.

I'll report back. Thanks guys as usual,
    Greg

9. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
  10. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #10 greg328, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    Yep, saw that thread earlier today and read it. Really doesn't relate to my problem, in that my starter cranks strongly every time. Never has it not cranked. Once, I triggered the alarm on purpose and tried to start the car; nothing-zero starter, just silence.

Really, I think it's the bulkhead connectors. I've got to get the car back in the air again and check those once again. The round one gave me some grief last year, so I need to again check it. Just absolutely puzzling though, as the issue is very random.

I do appreciate you mentioning the thread though. All advice is welcome at this point!!
    Greg

11. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    But its better to concentrate on areas which are directly relevant to the problem. The OP has stated there is no spark. So none of the above relays are implicated in this. If there were no fuelling, ie fuel pump not running then relay U could be a culprit.

Regarding the alarm, its highly unusual that an alarm would only disconnect the starter. To comply with insurance company requirements it must disconnect the starter and the ignition.

12. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    #12 PT 328, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
    When you checked for spark (which was negative) did you check it from one or both of the coils? If you have no voltage at the coils it may be an ignition switch issue. If there is voltage at the coil then it is somewhere down the line (crank sensor, etc).

I am also assuming that your lights are strong and the battery connections are tight as well as the connections at the starter.

EDIT: Have you also checked the connections located in the passenger side foot well?

13. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg

Andy, I need to check my alarm wiring again, as I thought it was only tied to the starter circuit. I'll re-confirm.

PT, battery connections are strong, as are lights and starter. Remember, the starter cranks very healthy every time. I know I said that Ive found no spark on a plug lead once, I will check the coil lead next. The strange thing is, if I pump the pedal, I can sometimes get it to catch, characteristic of a fuel issue. Another on here postulates that maybe in so doing, I'm attaining enough flywheel speed to overcome a weak RPM/TDC sensor signal. ??

Greg

14. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Let us know the findings of the coil leads and check the connections in the passenger foot well.

I know this is highly unlikely given your description but look at the hose coming out of the auxiliary air valve (AAV) under the expansion tank. Is it connected and snug?

15. Tarik

Tarik Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2011
    Philly Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Tarik
    I'm not sure whether this works the same way on a 328, but my QV had a similar (though not identical) issue. Sometimes it would start right away, sometimes it would start after a bunch of cranking (and need some throttle input), sometimes there was absolutely no sign that it would start (although the starter turned without issue). I swapped the fuel pump relay with another identical relay (windows, I think), and the problem has never come back. I will shortly replace all of the relays for good measure. My theory (not tested) is that there is a loose connection inside the relay. When the car started with help from the throttle maybe the pump was working intermittently, causing a low fuel pressure situation that could be overcome with the throttle.

At any rate, it's a very easy and cheap theory to test.

16. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks PT and Tarik. AAV hoses are secure, as are the other mentioned connections.

Today I used my inline spark tester to verify spark during hard-start cranking. I had my wife watch it as I cranked. I did indeed have spark, but it took a few hard cranks to get her to catch. The secret lately has been to pump the accelerator.

I have to assume that my issue is fuel-related. Something is not allowing enough fuel during starting. Once it starts, again, she runs like a top. I think it's safe to rule out spark at this time. I know once a few months ago, I had no spark during a test, but today, with spark, the car was exhibiting the same condition.

I have not swapped the relays as Tarik suggested, I can try that tomorrow. I think the pump is always working under cranking, because the smell of fuel is evident.

Any ideas what else may inhibit fuel flow when starting?

Greg

17. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    On your model, during starter motor cranking, there are two ways that +12V can be supplied to close the fuel pump relay based on the state of the safety switch. Your report that the engine runs fine once going and that opening the throttle plate seems to help when starting, confirms that the primary path running mode (large airflow plate deflection = safety switch open) is working OK (as is the ...113 fuel pump relay), but casts doubt on the other mode (no airflow plate deflection = safety switch closed) -- this other path goes thru a different relay (start injector blah, blah relay -- it's a ...101). Paul_308 has posted a diagram (well) describing both modes -- if you can't find it, give a shout.

Have you tried: unplug safety switch, turn key "on" (engine not running), listen for fuel pump operation (you should hear it buzzing), turn key to "start" and see if starts better?

18. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Greg,

I went back and read your entire previous thread and did not see in any of your posts that you confirmed the fuel pump is running with the safety switch (blue connector) unplugged as Steve mentioned in the above post.

I suggest you take Steve's advice and check this and report back. It takes less than five minutes and may be the source of your problem.

19. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I am getting a sense of deja-vu here. Seems to be back at step 1 of the original thread where fuel was suspected. Then it was mentioned there was no spark. Then confirmed on this new thread there is no spark. Now there is a spark so we are back to step 1 of the original thread again, ie check the fuel pump runs with safety switch disconnected. There was no result of this test on the original thread.

20. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'll unplug the blue safety switch tomorrow and report back with findings.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

21. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Any updates Greg?

22. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    PT,
    I'm going to pull the blue connector tomorrow, along with a few other things and report my findings here. I appreciate you monitoring the thread.
    Greg

23. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Fingers crossed this is your issue as we know the solution.

24. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Having a tough time with the blue connector on the fuel distributor. Don't want to break it, but can't quite figure out how to remove it. It appears that a forward bracket slides up, and a wire with it. This should allow removal of the connector, but the front bracket won't budge.

Ideas?
    Greg

PS--Is this blue connector in any way related to the identical blue one up on the right side of the intake manifold, above the water pump?

25. chrisbinsb

chrisbinsb F1 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Chris B
    I had trouble getting mine off the first time I tried as well. I couldn't get my fingers down there very well with the air filter box in the way. I finally took off the box and pulled it loose. You just squeeze the sides a bit and wiggle it off. I think it was just stiff, because now I can get just enough grip even with the box in place to pull it off.

The other one you mentioned sounds like the disconnect for the the cold start injector.

Good luck!