87 testarossa for sale at Beverly hills car club | FerrariChat

87 testarossa for sale at Beverly hills car club

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kartboy1234, Sep 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Hey everyone. I received an email from Beverly hills Car club and they seem to have received another testarossa. Thoughts?

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1987-ferrari-testarossa-c-8567.htm

It's an 87 with 14k miles. It looks to be missing it's factory cats. Sadly I can't get the VIN from the listing.

I know they buy and sell cars that could be needy. I looked at a TR with them years ago and ran from it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

2. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Pics looks nice

3. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Yea it doesn't look like their usual stuff. My dad is even half tempted to look at it since he likes my car.

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

85-90k max...buying from them u will have surprises

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Yea the other car I looked at with them had many issues.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Terrible speculation and just wrong to impugn a reputation or car without facts. I just hate seeing these comments on the internet where people can say things to damage business or reputations without being held to account...getting away with - what I heard or he said she said comments. It’s just wrong to talk about a dealer unless you or an immediate acquaintance has been burned or you can talk specific facts (e.g litigation) or you know the car that is being sold is misrepresented (e.g. known damage and it’s listed as no paint/body work).

I don’t know the selling firm or the car, but I do know any old used car may have a surprise and the facts are most do. Some firms do a detailed overhaul to get top dollar and you pay for their efforts and investment with a higher price, while others just broker or consign without an investment and just do a cleaning and sell it and that too is reflected typically in a flexible/lower price. Even if you buy from a Ferrari dealer any old used car can have something go wrong within a week or have an undetected issue.

If the TR is what you’re looking for (color/year/etc) and doesn’t need too much or what’s needed is tolerable and the price is right, etc - buy it for what you’re comfortable paying. You can make almost any car near 100% regardless of the mechanical or cosmetic issues depending how much time and money you want sink into it.

WasabiOz and curtisc63 like this.
  7. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    One thing I can tell/see (and had to repair on my TR), instrument pod is warped and leather stretching back from dash.

8. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I asked them if it would pass California emissions. They said yes. But you can see that it's missing it's precats. So that could be a misrepresentation.

9. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    I think you asked a very direct question, and they gave you a direct answer. In CA, the seller is responsible for smogging the car with the sale. You can put in a caveat - sale subject to passing smog for example.
    Also, if I'm not mistaken, it's really the cats that are important, versus precats - in terms of the final numbers.

Since I don't know testarossa in detail, the precats to my eye looks factory to me. I'm not sure if any "regular" smog technician would be able to say if it was factory or not.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

FYI instead of saying stupid s@@@ i can tel u i almost bought 3 cars from then and after 2 ppis that came back awful i walked away...so unlike u i know the deaelship and have experience with them... no need to respond.

11. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    That's a great color combo. Love the dash color with the black paint. Price seems relatively fair for a TR with that 14K miles and a $20K major done last year.

I'll be in Beverly Hills (yeah, I know....these guys are not actually in Bev Hills) four weeks from today. Maybe I'll stop by and check it out for you :)

12. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Do you really feel calling someone out for making unqualified statements is “stuipd s@@@“?!?... I think it should be mandatory for good order of the posting community. Don’t lose your bodily fluids or start ranting with expletives because YOU got spot lighted for your social faux pas. now that you’ve supported your statement feel free to say what you know.

Basic rule/common sense - If you’re going to trash a person, car, or business in the future on the forum caveat it with the facts supporting your position and you’ve got no beef with or from me... Start talking unsupported stuff and loose lip’n and I’ll call you or anyone out if i’m having a slow day.

13. Natkingcolebasket69

If i were u i would use the search button about beverly hills car club and. U would see what they are all about. Again unlike u i know the dealer and participate in the tr community.
    End of our discussion.

14. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Hardly need a new owner and Fchat neophyte (you just joined last year) try to school me about the brand, Fchat use/decorum, or the TR community. Just follow good common sense and the forum/social practices that have been mostly the standard for years and you’ll be fine.

Now just take your Prozac and sit in your corner and color, or post about something else that might be amusing (as long as it’s substantive) to me about our cars. We’ve already wasted too many calories on this matter and honestly your little tantrum over nothing is strarting to be a bore to me and I’m sure our fellow readers.

15. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Sherrilt--

Nat made a comment of less than ten words about this firm. To come after Nat the way you did is highly unprofessional, childish (sit in your corner and color???), and simply not in good form.

Anybody who knows the car world (as you do) is well aware of the fact that this firm tends not to sell "councours level" cars. Their cars tend to be drivers and are priced accordingly. I'm sure even Alex M would attest to that fact.

This is not an indictment on BH cars......it just is what is.

I'm guessing that you are having a bad day. If so it may be a good time to get away from the computer for awhile :)

xplodee and turbo-joe like this.
  16. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    Because BHCC does have a HUGE inventory, it actually is a very well-known dealership by those that live on the west coast and look for old sports cars. They are very much known for having a vast majority of their inventory that would be designated as "project cars" at under-market prices, rather than restored cars or "cream-puffs". I haven't heard of them misrepresenting their cars, but they don't go out of their way to tell you everything they know about theirs cars. They would not allow me (or one of their employees) to take a car I was looking at to a well-known race mechanic 1 mile away (that's next door in LA terms) to check it out, even when I offered to pay for employee's time.

That said: there are two red flags for me when I look at the car: 1) excessive amount of bolster wear on the driver's seat, given 14k mileage, and 2) $20k in receipts from work done in 2017 by RUF Auto Centre. Said shop technically no longer exists and is now called RAC Performance. I get nervous when companies change names.

17. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    That car looks unusually nice for BHCC.

A PPI is still needed.

A carfax is needed.

The fuel and coolant hoses have been replaced with SRI - the PO bought the best.

The rear brake ducts are incorrect for a 1990 - unsure of an ‘87.

The red and white wires going to the alternator look suspect. Check the condition of the OEM loom. Fire?

Bolster wear looks a bit high for only 15k miles - but not terribly so. Ask for a close shot of the brake pedal to assess that wear as well.

The gear shift knob should be black.

Cats are needed.

Overall it looks really good and well priced. Definately worthy of further scrutiny.

Again: A PPI is still needed.

Good luck,
    Vincenzo

18. Natkingcolebasket69

Tried to buy a red tr with 4k miles 3 years ago
    Car was supposed to be perfect, minor acident. PPI showed a dammaged frame, need for new ignition and new fuel pump.

Car 2 a higher mileage tr, leaked valve blocks and not passing carfax

Car 3- advertised as fresh major with 50k of records. Major was 3 years old and the 50k Of records were over 20 years old... not that big of a deal on that one as i didnt spend ppi.

Their inventory is pretty much the utter definition of as is. They are brokers so due ur due dilligence with them because they will not assist u in any way shape of form with the car once sold.

turbo-joe likes this.
  19. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Anyone remember the white TR submarine they were trying to sell a couple years back? So much water damage! They only said it didn't run ("it's a mechanics dream") when I called about it - not in the ad.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

20. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would avoid BHCC, there has been various cars I was interested in (based from the UK) - Maserati Merak, Ferrari 400i, Mercedes 300 etc. After a PPI on the Merc and investigations on the others, they all need serious work / money. They advertise both the lightest amount of information, to be fairfair asked specific questions they will answer you "Is the car running = No", "Is there any service history or receipts or records available = No". So it's a place where you can buy some cheap desirable cars, but there is a reason why and have your eyes wide open. A PPI is essential whatever you buy from there.

Take them as face value, expect work and money to be spent, you won't get a gleaming concourse car.... But tempting

21. Natkingcolebasket69

Amen to all of this- exactly my experience;)