News

87 testarossa rough starting

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jamesrobba, Apr 5, 2010.

1. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    problem : car starts and die's about 6 turns of the key , i can hear the fuel pumps , when it starts it real rough about 5 k on the tach and sometimes brings the battery light on for a while until it goes just above 5 k on the tach again. it runs very very rough at idle , push the gas down it want to stall . very very hard to idle it's like the engine wants to stall as it warms up for 15-20 mins it runs ok , just ok not the good as i have been reading could it be the the protection relay p/n 61766200 . i guess this relay is above the right rear does any one have a picture of it or please the area . note before the car would start and run about 8 k on the tach it does not do that at all please help thanks jim

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
    Your symptoms are consistent with the Protection Relay not working correctly (or its fuse being blown), but I hope that by "5k" and "8k" you mean "500" and "800", and not "5000" and "8000" ;)

This is what the TR/328 Protection Relay looks like:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

It is located inside the "black box" mounted over the RH rear wheel fender liner:

This jpeg describes how to make a DC voltage measurement to check if the Protection Relay is working or not:

One point is that the 10A fuse in the Protection Relay is meant to blow if the Alternator voltage goes too high -- i.e., if it keeps blowing fuses, measure the Alternator (Battery) voltage when the engine is at mid-range RPM -- if it goes over ~15V that would be a sign of a bad Alternator/VR (or, if your headlights keep getting brighter as engine RPM increases, that would also be a sign that the Alternator/VR is bad).

4. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
  5. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    thank you steve you are the best and yes it is 500k and 800k ,i am going to take the relay out today and i will get back to you guys on the fix . i want to thank all my ferrari guys for there help it's great to just put a problem on ferrari chat and get help i hope one day i can do the same thanks again. best to all jim

6. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    took a look at the box i guess the two cannon plugs come off and then the bolts that hold down the relay box , could someone please give me a heads up it does not look easy and i don't want to damage anything . thank you all best jim

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    looking at removal of the the relay box above the r/h w/w has any one performed this , looks like 2 cannon plugs come off and then mounting bolts and then it slides out , looking to see if any one has any special way of removal i don't want to damage anything , looking at getting to the protection relay . thank you all jim

9. jamesrobba

jamesrobba Karting

Dec 5, 2005
    north downey, calif.
    Full Name:
    james joseph robba
    HEY GUYS FOUND THE FUSE BLOWN BIG TIME AND YOU COULD PART BROKEN INSIDE THE RELAY BY SHAKING IT I HAVE ONE COMING AND WILL UP DATE WHEN IT GETS PUT IN I HOPE SOON RAMIBI IS BACK ORDERED ON THIS RELAY COST 140 DOLLARS BUT IF IT MAKE IT RUN LIKE A TOP AT IDLE WHO CARES ABOUT THE MONEY IT'S ABOUT THE FERRARI SOUND RUNNING AT IDLE , LOVE IT ! THANK YOU JIM