'87 TR - issues with continuity on door jam button / interior lighting | FerrariChat

'87 TR - issues with continuity on door jam button / interior lighting

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by xplodee, Jul 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hi All-

I've removed and cleaned and re-installed the door jam buttons for the interior lighting and buzzer a hand full of times and can't get them to work consistently. If I wiggle the tab around I can get the interior lights to come on.

I'm not sure if it's a problem with an inadequate ground through the sheet metal screw holding it in place (one of the four buttons has a stripped hole btw), or if the button itself is not grounding out against itself when the plunger is extended.

Any suggestions?

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Sounds like you need a new switch. They do wear out, unfortunately.

xplodee likes this.
  3. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Im thinking the same thing. When i pull out on the plunger it works perfectly. I think the spring tension is shot.

Fwiw there are generic door jamb switches that look identical. I bought a couple options to try. $1/ea so worth it

4. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Are you having issues with both the driver and passenger door switches? Sounds like you already know but for those that don't if you have a late (1988.5 >) US Testarossa there are two switches in each door jamb--the upper is for the motorized seat belts, the lower is for the interior lighting.

xplodee likes this.
  5. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Replaced the door jam switches with new modern equivalents off of ebay. Direct swap, just had to shorten the length of the plunger. I even moved the original rubber boot over to the new switch which makes it identical to the old one.

They work perfectly now. $8 shipped for all four.

6. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Excellent--glad it worked out. Can you post the pertinent information in the Testarossa cross-reference thread?