87 TR rough idle and stalling/surging | Page 2 | FerrariChat

87 TR rough idle and stalling/surging

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ozziindaus, Aug 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Unplugged and replugged the connectors below the expansion tank and coil modules. Engine still stalled but I must say, it did idle pretty well for a minute.

Is there a way to jump the Protection relay to confirm if it has kicked it? Also, I haven't even looked at the Tachometric Relay. Have we ruled that one out?

2. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    No checks yet. I will buy a timing gun tomorrow and check it out.

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The fuel pumps won't run for very long after cranking if the tachometric relay isn't working. Since you report that it will run more than a few seconds after cranking = your tachometric relay is OK.

4. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Sweet. Thanks again to everyone for walking me through this. Like I told James the other day, there is no problem on these cars that hasn't been fixed and this one sounds very common.

5. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #30 ozziindaus, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Checked each bank with a timing light and it confirmed that the stalling was coming from the RH bank (passenger side). I have an IGNITION ISSUE as Steve and Jeff rightfully suggested.

Pulled and swapped the coil modules that sit on top of the coils but the problem remained.

Pulled the sheathing back from the coil lead to expose more feral so that I could plug it deeper into the coil and I was able to idle a little longer. Thought I was done until I started it up again. This time, it wouldn't run at all.

Then I noticed that the carbon contact between the distributor coil and rotor was not assembled. Surprisingly, the coil was able to, albeit sporadic, still send spark to the distributor and plugs without this carbon contact. Very strange. After I put it back in, ALL GOOD.

So here's what I think happened.

Before I started her up this season, I asked what the best way was to crank the engine without firing her up to get the oil distributed. I was told to unplug the fuel pump fuses/relays and coils. When I unplugged the coil, I destroyed the piercing connection between the feral and the lead. I tried to mend it but I don't think I did a good enough job.

James (Veedub) replaced my lead which should have fixed it. Unfortunately, the lead likes to walk back out due to the sheathing. That's the theory at least. When I pulled the lead through to expose more feral, I was able to run a longer idle. The pic below shows how much exposed feral you need for a solid connection. Anyway, putting the center carbon contact back into the dizzi sealed the deal.

Final test would be to take it out but unfortunately the weather around here does not agree so I'll report back to confirm it's been fixed for good.

Thanks again to everyone of their help.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    GREAT NEWS....!!!! Very happy to hear the fix was something minor....excellent Sam.

7. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Thanks Jeff. Here's a boring but thrilling to me video I just uploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTC_v0m4bwU

8. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #33 ozziindaus, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Spoke too soon.

Cranked it up today and it idled purrrfectly until it died. This time however, it won't run at all and takes a few cranks to get it fired back up but soon dies (no longer running slow on a single bank).

So I came across this thread and especially Steve M's post about the coil module. Seems like I do indeed have a bad coil module that was originally on the 1-6 bank. I swapped this module over to the 7-12 during the diagnosis and left it there since it started working again during the test. Now however, rather than the engine just slowing down, it completely dies.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/138298267-post8.html

Timing light confirms that spark on 7-12 turns off just before the engine dies and since the 7-12 module is linked to the tachometric relay, it turns the fuel pumps off and hence a completely dead engine. Is my diagnosis correct? Does the tach relay to coil module connection apply to my engine?

9. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
  10. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I might have a module that will work. if you want to try it out.

11. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    BOOM, that did it. It was the 1-6 Coil Module which I left on 7-12. Took it out for an hour spin up and down Woodward Ave and it ran purrrfectly. Thanks heaps James.

So in summary, when a module is bad, one of two things occur. I will paraphrase what has already been mentioned in other threads but contain it here for closure:

-If Module 1-6 is bad, engine will drop RPM's since it momentarily cuts the entire RH side bank off. This "appears" as an idle "hunting" issue but in reality, it's a dead bank due to lack of spark.

-If Module 7-12 is bad, the engine will die and be very difficult to get back running. I've been told that this is due to this banks communication with the tachometric relay which will also switch the fuel pumps off. No spark + no fuel.

As an added bonus, my Engine temp light came back on. It's been a good day :)

Thanks again to everyone here for all their help. I'll give you a call tomorrow James.

12. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    I'd like to do some of these checks on my car, but am not exactly sure where things are. If someone verify (or correct me) on the following two things, I'd be grateful:

1) There are two ECU connectors above the passenger side rear wheel well. Those can be taken off with a small phillips head screwdriver and simply pulled out.

2) There is a somewhat triangular piece of metal with a 90 degree bend below the ECU connectors I've identified in 1) above. It looks to be affixed with two bolts. If I remove those bolts I should be able to pull a compartment out that has C12 & C13 connections, as well as protection relay and 10A fuse.

I had mechanic replace one of my ignition coil units (coil, control module, heatsink), and then I replaced the other (passenger side) ignition coil unit. For three days straight in my parking spot, it would start right up and idle between 800-1000. After about 5 minutes, the idle would up to 1200. After about 8-9 minutes of total running, the engine would drop to running on one bank. On the fourth day, I just unplugged/plugged some fuses and wiggled the fuel pump relays (not replacing anything) and the engine ran for 15 minutes perfectly before I shut it off. I just bought and replaced some relays (both fuel pumps and radiator fans), took the car out on the street and it died (drop to running on one bank) within about 10 minutes. Today I let the car idle for about 13-14 minutes, then drove it around parking structure. It died (drop to running on one bank) after about 18 minutes total running time.

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #38 Steve Magnusson, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Not following you here -- no need to remove any screws to unplug any of the 25-pin ECUs (ignition or injection) in the engine bay. There is a metal flap near the end of the connector where the wires leave --- this flap needs to be flexed over which allows that end of the coonector to start to be withdrawn. Then the connector "hinges" in the horizontal plane around a pin on the other end. Once the connector has been rotated open about 60 degrees, the connector end away from the wires (which is hooked shaped) will disengage from the pin that it rotates about. Reconnection is the reversal of that process.

If you are loosing a whole bank, you need to use a timing light to confirm/deny if spark is still present. If spark is there, I'd be suspicious that it's a fuel pump +12V power problem (e.g., burned white connector).

14. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    OK, I'll take another look at it again given this information. I'm looking at it under commercial parking garage lighting, with a Mag-light as backup, so I'm probably not able to get the clearest of pictures of how everything connects on my own.

Given that I had the major service done in March/April of this year, and I had it back in the shop again for a few months because of this problem, I'm pretty certain that the spark would be there. Something in my guts tells me it's either temperature-related or a fuel pump is going bad. I've read about the fuel pump relay bypass to determine if a fuel pump is good, but I'm not sure what to listen for or look for once I've jumped pin 83 to 87 (or whatever pins I'm supposed to jump to make a direct connection to the fuel pump / power source.

White connectors on the fuse panel look OK to me, but I can't get under the car to check the fuel pump connectors. ....I may to engage the service of my long-time BMW mechanic, who was pretty good at locating electrical issues. Given the relative cheapness of the fuel pumps, I'm wondering if I should just replace them anyways. My car *has* been driven and has just over 50,000 miles.

15. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    Out of curiousity, what would cause a bank that was firing for several minutes to stop firing?

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    electrical problems

17. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    Like when an alien spaceship hovers over the car? o_O

18. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Possibly :rolleyes: but in my case, it was a series of events. I believe it started by me unplugging my coil lead before firing it up for the season. This caused the already fragile connection between the high tension wire and grommet to become intermittent. This "may" have then lead to a premature failure of the coil module causing it to run intermittently.

The key word here is intermittently which is where the aliens could come in. I dropped my investigation once the problem went away and therefore never caught them in action......but you never know.

19. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Can't improve on romano's response of "electrical problems" ;)

If it consistently is OK after cold start-up, fails after a few minutes, and then is OK again after cooling off, I'd be most suspicious of either the power transistor, coil, or ignition ECU failing after heating up some. However, you can deduce some things if you can determine which bank and if it is the coil primary not working or something in the secondary distribution system (for example, the fuel pumps will shut off if the 1-7 primary portion of the 1-7 coil is not working -- so if the engine keeps running on just one bank, that confirms the 1-7 primary stuff is working). You've really got to determine if you have spark on both banks, or not, when it goes to running on one bank to determine if you have a spark problem or a fuel problem (I didn't see anything very conclusive about that in your prior post).

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as steve says:
    check if there is a fuel or an ignition problem.
    as I read it all I think it is an ignition problem because the one bank not running happens suddenly. if it would be a fuel problem it would happen within a few seconds

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    then you must be faster than this alien spaceship - remember, it is a ferrari :)

22. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    I've been (slowly) doing some more testing.

Seems that it's the right bank that is shutting down. Engine goes to running on one bank and I pull the LH fuel pump relay and the engine dies. Engine goes to running on one bank and I pull the RH fuel pump relay and nothing changes.

I'm trying not to spend money while I'm unemployed, but didn't realize how ridiculously cheap induction timing guns were, so I picked up a well-rated basic one on Amazon for $30 delivered. I drive the car around my parking garage until it goes down to running on one bank and then try and quickly attach the timing gun to the #1 spark plug wire. I've done this twice so far. What I've seen I guess could be construed as a lack of spark? When the engine is running normally, the timing light is strobing very consistently and pretty quickly. In an earlier post, I've mentioned that when the engine goes down to running on one bank, it sounds like it is breathing heavily. When this happens the timing light happens only like once a second - like with each "exhale" of the engine.

What should be my next step?

23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I just came back from dinner and too lazy now to read all again. so I don´t remember all what you have done already.

I would change the ignition module with the coil from left side to right side and otherwise and look if it is still the right side not running or then the left side

24. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +1 ;), and +1 to romano's suggestion -- if it is a problem with something in the coil or power module presently on the 1-6 bank, when you move it to the 7-12 bank, and it fails again, the symptom will be a little different (the 7-12 bank would fail instantly, but then after a few seconds, the fuel pressure on both bank would fall, as both fuel pumps would shut off, so it won't keep running on just the 1-6 bank). If you get there, then you'd swap just the coils, or just the power transistors, to find the bad player.

rpissm likes this.
  25. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    Well, full engine out service back in April, both coils and modules replaced with brand new units in last couple of months. Left and right coil units were not replaced at the same time. Each time a unit was replaced, there was a significant improvement in the way the car ran. What/where are the power transistors?