87 TR shifting problem | FerrariChat

87 TR shifting problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 2mmuch, Feb 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    I went to take my car out for a run today so I fired it up put it in reverse and backed it out of my garage. Put it in first and away I went. The car would not shift into second, third, fouth, or fifth. It was also hard to put it back into first after it tried shifting up. Drove the car back into the garage and turned it off. Standing still I tried shifting and it went into all gears but it was extremly hard. Now this is the first time I have taken it out since I had the engine out to rebuild my water pump. Did I do something wrong when I reconected the shifting link? Has any one else heard of this?
    Lou

2. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Did you have the linkage in 2nd gear, while removing the engine? This is stated in the WSM.

3. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Yes it was in second gear

4. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Hi Henryk

It is possible it came out of second when I was hooking the link back up. But the car does go in to reverse and first.

5. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Is it possible that the rod, still in the engine, could have be inadvertantly turned 180 degrees, prior to re-assembly? I noticed this as a possible problem, when i removed my engine.

6. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    That though did cross my mine. Just didn't think it was possible. I think i'll raise the car up, get under it and see what happens if I rotate it 180.
    Thanks

7. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    It seems that there are two possibilities:

The first, would be the shift linkage is off.

The second, would be the clutch. I had a similar problem when a clutch disc fell apart, and jammed betweed the clutch and flywheel. This prevented adequate movement of the clutch, with the pedal down.

Did you do anything to the clutch?

8. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Henry I lifted the car back up and it looks like when I tightened the linkage it must have not been in second. I losened the jam nut on the shaft and found second gear and tightened it all up. It seems to be working perfect once again. So yes your first option was correct the shift link was a little off. Thanks for your help.

Lou

9. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Lou: So, was it off by 180 degrees?

10. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    No. It was fine. I didn't undo the bolt at the engine I just undid the jam nut closer to the front of the car, and re-allined second gear.