Sold - 88.5 Testarossa, 03 Viper, 93 BMW 850 - As One Lot | FerrariChat

Sold 88.5 Testarossa, 03 Viper, 93 BMW 850 - As One Lot

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by tommydogs, Jul 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    Due to not having worked in the last 5 years, I am selling my 3 toys. All are somewhat uncommon. I'll try and get some pictures up soon, but I really stink at taking pictures, so they won't look so great anyway. I will try to give detailed, very honest descriptions of the cars, and answer as many questions as I can. I want to sell them as a single lot. I wanted to quick get this up, so I don't have all things posted right now, but a lot of the most important stuff. I will try to get more posted over the weekend. If you want to go ahead and arrange a viewing, or have some advice, or make a conditional offer of 6 figures, go ahead and DM me; or if you have general questions everyone will benefit from, please post a reply and I will respond. I'm looking for something in the neighborhood of $140k for all three cars.

I've put a (???) next to things that I remember as having been done, but need to verify in the service records, so don't take as gospel.

1998.5 Ferrari Testarossa. Red ext/Black int. 53k miles. Owned since 2017 with 49k miles. Have a car cover for it. Major engine-out service done 5 years ago, so will need another one in 2 years or so. Things I've done to it since 2017: new rear(???) tires, rebuild front brake calipers, repair leak in coolant system under passenger seat, replaced firing computer and coils(???) for both banks, fuel pump meters, replaced a few fuses. Valve covers media-blasted and painted crinkle red, and alternator rebuilt during engine-out. (Alternator light still kind of flickers after engine startup, until car revs above something like 1.5k RPM) Car had a problem twice where one bank would die: 1) replaced connectors with loose pin that powered ECU, and 2) got rid of bad corrosion in box that contained the fuel shutoff relay(???). Driver's seat bolsters were bad. Took it to A.T.s upholstery in Culver City and they said it looks like it had been repaired before, but with bad welds. They supposedly repaired it the right way and bolsters are tight now. Blower fan does not work. Not the issue with a bad power transistor: something else. More like blown console fuse, or it wasn't properly reconnected after engine-out service. Serviced by F&M Motorsports and Foreign Sport Technician. FST says even though I had the engine out service done just a few years ago, there's a small engine leak in one of the gaskets. Previous owners did some nice upgrades: new clutch and flywheel, GT Engineering fuse panel "toughening", air-conditioning rebuild(???). Has a small electrical drain, which I think is from the driver's seat belt tensioner trying to keep working. Had the passenger seat belt mouse unplugged as it would engage/disengage whenever it was in gear and driving versus when it was in neutral. Bottom of front air dam is ground up on both sides due to driveways with too steep a rake. Air pump is in car, but doesn't work; the car has managed to pass California smog check at several different smog stations, so probably not a big deal. I have a working Dentso (???) (air pump) unit that will go with the car. I owe $32-33k on this car.

2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 (convertible). Black ext/Black & Grey int. 30k miles. Owned since 2014, with 21k miles. Have a car cover for it. I replaced clutch and lightweight flywheel in 2015(???) by Dan Kragan, who worked on Viper race cars. Dan also had brake calipers powder-coated red by a company in New England that he said were the only ones who knew how to do it right. Had a non-OEM air intake system that had a fake K&N sticker on it. I had to replace it with a real K&N system to pass smog. Some rock chips on hood, a vertical scratch under driver's rear-view mirror, paint scraping on driver's bottom front air dam, should have a new battery. Definitely needs new tires ASAP. Has valve cover gasket leak and non-material leak in shocks. Had 3 of 4 wheels repaired after running over major potholes in downtown LA several years ago - wheels really don't lose much air: I add some every 6 months. Sound system doesn't sound very good. I'm not sure if it's the speakers that are dried out and/or faulty, or just the way they are, and why many Vipers have serious stereo power boosters added. Was in a literal scrape about 6 years ago, where the passenger quarter panel scraped the bumper of an Explorer as I was trying to get around it an into the left turn lane. Very light damage, which didn't even get past the primer. Just needed a sanding and respray. Had it done at Roma Body Shop Services in west LA. Needs a new battery. Latching mechanism in glove box had a piece break off (very poor engineering design) and it's jury-rigged to work now, but not a good fix. This almost never happens with me, but all the time with valets or other people driving the car: driver's side door handle stays in open position, so you can't open door via outside door handle. Need to go in through passenger side, or I think I've also got it open when this happens by using the physical key in the hidden door lock cylinder. I have the title in hand for this car.

1993 BMW 850Ci. Black/Grey. Automatic trans. 137k miles. Owned since 2001, with 81k miles. Recent service within the last year includes oil change, new caps, rotors, coils, spark plugs, brake bomb (hydraulic fluid acumulator), and belt service. Has slow leak in hydraulic fluid pump -- I add a few ounces of fluid every month or two. Has an electric drain typical of this model: I had the electronic components (capacitors) replaced on the general control, but I *think* the relay module is also bad and draining the battery somewhat. The parking module is marked as bad on the MID, but I don't seem to have a problem with any of the lights. Has rock chips as you would expect from a car of this mileage. Was in a fender bender two years ago where a girl in the far left lane didn't realize my lane could also turn left, and her front passenger bumper went into the middle of my driver's fender and wheel to about an inch or so of the driver's door. Was fixed by Scandinavian Coachcraft in west LA. They also did a pro bono "quick fix" of the top of the rear bumper, where the paint was peeling from previous respray elsewhere after it was involved in several "hit and runs" while in public parking areas. Up close it (the rear bumper) doesn't look great, but much better than when it was peeling. Needs new batteries. I have a new aftermarket brake master cylinder that will go with it. I have the title in hand for this car.

All cars run pretty damn good IMHO, and always get lots of compliments on them. I've put off fixing a lot of marginal issues while I've been unemployed, but have always made sure the cars are safe and reliable.

2. tommydogs

tommydogs Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tommy Robinson
    Wanted to update description a bit and add some pictures:

Due to not having worked in the last 5 years, I am selling my 3 toys. All are somewhat uncommon. I'll try and get some pictures up soon, but I really stink at taking pictures, so they won't look so great anyway. I will try to give detailed, very honest descriptions of the cars, and answer as many questions as I can. I want to sell them as a single lot. I wanted to quick get this up, so I don't have all things posted right now, but a lot of the most important stuff. I will try to get more posted over the weekend. If you want to go ahead and arrange a viewing, or have some advice, or make a conditional offer of 6 figures, go ahead and DM me; or if you have general questions everyone will benefit from, please post a reply and I will respond.

I've put a (???) next to things that I remember as having been done, but need to verify in the service records, so don't take as gospel.

1998.5 Ferrari Testarossa. Red ext/Black int. 53k miles. Owned since 2017 with 49k miles. Have a car cover for it. Major engine-out service done 5 years ago, so will need another one in 2 years or so. Things I've done to it since 2017: new rear(???) tires, rebuild front brake calipers, repair leak in coolant system under passenger seat, replaced firing computer and coils(???) for both banks, fuel pump meters, replaced a few fuses. Valve covers media-blasted and painted crinkle red, and alternator rebuilt during engine-out. (Alternator light still kind of flickers after engine startup, until car revs above something like 1.5k RPM) Car had a problem twice where one bank would die: 1) replaced connectors with loose pin that powered ECU, and 2) got rid of bad corrosion in box that contained the fuel shutoff relay(???). Driver's seat bolsters were bad. Took it to A.T.s upholstery in Culver City and they said it looks like it had been repaired before, but with bad welds. They supposedly repaired it the right way and bolsters are tight now. Blower fan does not work. Not the issue with a bad power transistor: something else. More like blown console fuse, or it wasn't properly reconnected after engine-out service. Serviced by F&M Motorsports and Foreign Sport Technician. FST says even though I had the engine out service done just a few years ago, there's a small engine leak in one of the gaskets. Previous owners did some nice upgrades: new clutch and flywheel, GT Engineering fuse panel "toughening", air-conditioning rebuild(???). Has a small electrical drain, which I think is from the driver's seat belt tensioner trying to keep working. Had the passenger seat belt mouse unplugged as it would engage/disengage whenever it was in gear and driving versus when it was in neutral. Bottom of front air dam is ground up on both sides due to driveways with too steep a rake. Air pump is in car, but doesn't work; the car has managed to pass California smog check at several different smog stations, so probably not a big deal. I have a working Dentso (???) (air pump) unit that will go with the car. I owe $32-33k on this car.

2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 (convertible). Black ext/Black & Grey int. 30k miles. Owned since 2014, with 21k miles. Have a car cover for it. I replaced clutch and lightweight flywheel in 2015(???) by Dan Kragan, who worked on Viper race cars. Dan also had brake calipers powder-coated red by a company in New England that he said were the only ones who knew how to do it right. Had a non-OEM air intake system that had a fake K&N sticker on it. I had to replace it with a real K&N system to pass smog. Some rock chips on hood, a vertical scratch under driver's rear-view mirror, paint scraping on driver's bottom front air dam, should have a new battery. Definitely needs new tires ASAP. Has valve cover gasket leak and non-material leak in shocks. Had 3 of 4 wheels repaired after running over major potholes in downtown LA several years ago - wheels really don't lose much air: I add some every 6 months. Sound system doesn't sound very good. I'm not sure if it's the speakers that are dried out and/or faulty, or just the way they are, and why many Vipers have serious stereo power boosters added. Was in a literal scrape about 6 years ago, where the passenger quarter panel scraped the bumper of an Explorer as I was trying to get around it an into the left turn lane. Very light damage, which didn't even get past the primer. Just needed a sanding and respray. Had it done at Roma Body Shop Services in west LA. Needs a new battery. Latching mechanism in glove box had a piece break off (very poor engineering design) and it's jury-rigged to work now, but not a good fix. This almost never happens with me, but all the time with valets or other people driving the car: driver's side door handle stays in open position, so you can't open door via outside door handle. Need to go in through passenger side, or I think I've also got it open when this happens by using the physical key in the hidden door lock cylinder. I have the title in hand for this car.

1993 BMW 850Ci. Black/Grey. Automatic trans. 137k miles. Owned since 2001, with 81k miles. Recent service within the last year includes oil change, new caps, rotors, coils, spark plugs, brake bomb (hydraulic fluid acumulator), and belt service. Has slow leak in hydraulic fluid pump -- I add a few ounces of fluid every month or two. Has an electric drain typical of this model: I had the electronic components (capacitors) replaced on the general control, but I *think* the relay module is also bad and draining the battery somewhat. The parking module is marked as bad on the MID, but I don't seem to have a problem with any of the lights. Has rock chips as you would expect from a car of this mileage. Was in a fender bender two years ago where a girl in the far left lane didn't realize my lane could also turn left, and her front passenger bumper went into the middle of my driver's fender and wheel to about an inch or so of the driver's door. Was fixed by Scandinavian Coachcraft in west LA. They also did a pro bono "quick fix" of the top of the rear bumper, where the paint was peeling from previous respray elsewhere after it was involved in several "hit and runs" while in public parking areas. Up close it (the rear bumper) doesn't look great, but much better than when it was peeling. Tint on passenger window, always had an imperfection in it, but was sitting in the sun at a mechanic several months ago and now has a cracked, spiderweb appearance. Needs new batteries. I have a new aftermarket brake master cylinder that will go with it. I have the title in hand for this car.

All cars run pretty damn good IMHO, and always get lots of compliments on them. I've put off fixing a lot of marginal issues while I've been unemployed, but have always made sure the cars are safe and reliable.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JoeTSI likes this.
  3. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    TLDR
    But seems like a heck of a deal for all three.

MHawk and tommydogs like this.
  4. PAS2

PAS2 Rookie

Jul 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Paul Steklenski
    Hi Tommy, new to the board, referred from a friend about this, please DM your contact info, I’d like to discuss, thanks.