90% of the drivers would win in the Mercedes-Verstappen | Page 2 | FerrariChat

90% of the drivers would win in the Mercedes-Verstappen

Discussion in 'F1' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Nov 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Rosberg did. Button did both in the same car, besides the point.
    Max said 90% of the drivers could be winning in this car. He isn’t saying beat Hamilton, somehow that’s how you understood it but he never said that.
    If Hamilton isn’t a merc driver, the world champ is bottas or whoever is replacing Hamilton. That’s the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Well for him after a while it probably gets old to get hammered every weekend. If he has any competitive spirit it must not feel great.

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Sounds like a nice 'day' job lol :)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The claim was ''win'' in the W11. I presume Max means win as much as the car is winning today.

Not win title.

Giovinazzi would win races in that car.
    Latifi...podiums yes but I can't think of a more useless driver in F1 today so he would be the weakest link. If his teammate retired he's bound to pick up a win. But fair and square win, out of the entire grid...no he wouldn't.
    Grosjean would win races.
    Stroll would win races.
    Vettel would win races and, depending on who is teammate is, championships.

Any of the above named drivers, given Latifi as his teammate, would win the title.

If everything else was equal today, Max in his Red Bull, with Latifi as 2nd driver in the Mercedes, Max would make life difficult for them all, except Vettel (assuming that this year is a real anomaly), but all would win the title except Latifi.

Now...if they all get given a competent teammate, it would make a whole different discussion. Then I would say all your above named drivers wouldn't win the title.

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    World Tire Manager Championship. That’s what it is.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Racing is always about tire management. Tires are the only thing connected to the road.

william likes this.
  7. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The current tire regulations in F1 are an artifice intended to make it more “exciting”. Fail,

stavura, 375+, sammysaber and 2 others like this.
  8. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    It seems that Verstappen is "interested" in that seat. Although probably it would be smarter to shut up and let Hamilton think that he is not expendable.

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, occasionally, but not over the whole time they ran against each other.
    It's obvious Hamilton didn't win all the races he entered, but his rate of success is the best in F1.
    Look at Rosberg and Button's career resumé, and compare that to Hamilton's !

ktu likes this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't think Bottas suffers from an inferiority complex towards Hamilton because of the situation.
    I guess that more than half the grid realistically don't believe they are World champion material, and most will leave F1 without ever winning anything.
    That's the bottom line. So getting a seat in the best team of the moment, is already an achievement.

11. Natkingcolebasket69

If u are a competitor u can’t be satisfied with being beaten every weekend-cf mark Webber in his Red Bull days. I’m not sure bottas is a champion, seems to have accepted his fate.

Bas likes this.
  12. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    The different tires do change the chess game just like the hated DRS for some. It's just another rule like size of rear wing. But at the end of the day it is about tire management, even if Pirelli made the F1 tire a 40,000mile "street" tire for dry and rain. You are going to have all kinds of chassis and driver variables that change the way the tire is going to wear and thus perform. LH and his team (including bottas) are the best chess players. In my time watching F1 they are the total package.

william likes this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

What would be nice is several tyres providers like
    Back in the day, at least there might be a few surprise winners throughought the year

greg328 and Bas like this.
  14. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Yeah I would have no problem with that except the one time there was that farce of a race at Indy because the michelin's could not run on the banking so 6 car raced.

15. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It’s still silly to have tires be such a factor in outcomes. My main complaint. is with the moronic two compound mandate. I include indycar in this along with their push to pass.

375+ likes this.
  16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    It is the tires but not the tires in and of themselves. It's the management of the tires. When button was driving they talked about how he was good on tires. They talk about how LH is better on tires than bottas today. There was a time that driver's managed the tires. Today "data" drives the tires and the cars. Drivers are like monkeys to a certain point being told to drive target laptimes integrated with pit strategy. It used to be that the only computer was the brain of the driver. There was a time when the driver drove the car 100%. With team involvement I don't know at what point in a race LH can shine but obviously he does as 6x WDC.

Natkingcolebasket69 and william like this.
  17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    And the only way to fix this is to ban car-to-pit radio (all channels and all telemetry)

Then the driver drives the car by himself, chooses when (or if) to pit, and has to figure it all by himself.

This would also give a big advantage to more experienced drivers over newer more aggressive drivers who don't have the experiences to become the complete package.

greg328 and william like this.
  18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 agree

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Bring back the tyre war ?

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Well for the sake of excitement tyre war, refueling could be interesting.
    Wont change who the world champion is just some races more exciting.
    Also the calendar should contain more interesting circuit, some are just boring and have no room for overtaking no matter what

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I don't know if a new tyre war would work now, because the rules decide the compounds, mandate the tyre change, limit the number per event, etc ...
    A tyre war would need complete freedom for manufacturers to be interested. Freedom is in short supply in F1 !

Regarding the boring circuits, it's evident that the cars have physically outgrown some of the tracks on the calendar.
    Since new cars are designed nearly every year, it would be more sensible to adapt the cars to existing circuits, rather than expect circuits to be altered every 10 years to suit the new cars. Most of the changes on circuits have been the introduction of more chicanes !
    The present cars are very long; there is no limit to the wheelbase. In recent years, the width was increased from 180 cm to 2 meters.
    Maybe the FIA should work on that.

kes7u and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed! I’m tired of the hungaroring

23. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

You may not like this fact, but the most important thing for the team is points.
    Button delivered more points for McLaren over 3 years than team mate Hamilton.

Bas, stavura and sammysaber like this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You may not like this fact, but the most important thing for a driver is wins.
    Hamilton delivered more wins over 3 years than team mate Button.

2010 Button 1, Hamilton 3
    2011 Button 3, Hamilton 3
    2012 Button 3, Hamilton 4

Total Button 7, Hamilton 10. :p

Boomhauer and ktu like this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Monaco ?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.