90% of the drivers would win in the Mercedes-Verstappen | Page 5 | FerrariChat

90% of the drivers would win in the Mercedes-Verstappen

Discussion in 'F1' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Nov 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Yeah I'm sure the W11's aerodynamic efficiency was designed around 40 lap old slick intermediate tires

2. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Ok the W11 is the worst Formula 1 car ever made.
    Are you happy then ?

Bas and fil like this.
  3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Here's are excerpts of an article on the W10 and an F2 driver Mazipin (whom I consider is an average F2 driver) whom drove it for the first time. This case could also be made to past variants of other W0X's as well.

Maybe it is'nt 90% of the drivers on the grid........but it would certainly be over 80% of the drivers on the grid.

Red Bull advisor Dr Helmut Marko believes the pace displayed by Nikita Mazepin for Mercedes in testing proved their dominance.

Mazepin, 20, took over running of the W10 for the second day of the in-season test at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, setting the timing sheets alight as he finished P1 with a 1:15.775.

Mazepin’s career is funded by his billionaire father and the youngster enjoys a private testing deal with the Silver Arrows – his personal training programme reportedly includes 12 days of running on various tracks at the wheel of a 2017-spec W08.

Currently plying his trade in Formula 2 with ART the Russian driver, whose father has been linked with a takeover of the struggling Williams team, covered a marathon 128 laps on Wednesday – but Marko believes his showing only proves further how dominant the W10 is.

Speaking to Auto Bild, he said: “That a second-class Formula 2 driver is fast right off the bat in the Mercedes shows just how superior it is. More superior than ever.

“What surprised me was that Mercedes didn’t even try to hide it and didn’t prevent Mazepin from setting the best time of the day, so the superiority is very clear now.”

Here's the article

https://www.planetf1.com/news/marko-second-class-mazepin-proved-w10-dominance/

stavura, Bas, jpalmito and 3 others like this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

#104 DF1, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    This is interesting of course. Yet the other side of the blade is he might not be that 2nd class, is better than others think and he 'synched' with the car. Its not magic that good drivers can handle various situations and adapt quickly to a car.

Just ask Bottas who is quick but is certainly not LH in same machine. Ask Vettel about synching with a car. He is the epitome of not doing well with car changes in different teams. FA, LH, Max and others seem better. Charles might be one of those gifted, lucky people. Maybe Mazepin lol?? :)

Also Mazepin did not have to suffer being near Max lol. When racing near a super challenger there is a different 'mind-set' and stress to manage along with the car and track.......................................... OK :)

5. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    The car and team are great. Lewis is great. So what? None of this changes any of the facts surrounding his winning 7 WDC. Anytime Mercedes thought there was a better driver on the market they could have and would have bought him.

6. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Exactly, and his last race proved he is value for money and a good choice.

7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

It is 'common knowledge' how much its the car now vs driver. 90% per some engineers. Im not sure what their is to debate. The machines are sophisticated and performance is not easy to extract once completed. Significant time and effort are spent to gain performance.

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I would go as far as saying there is no one at his level, right now.

No other driver extracts the best of his car with regularity like Hamilton does.

Cavallino Nero Rampante and ktu like this.
  9. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I would say the driver is still the most important piece of the puzzle when getting performance out of the car. Yes some would say the car is 90% nowadays, which I think is over the top. Albon's results are not 90% of Verstappens. But they have the same car. Vettel's results are far from Leclerc's at the moment, same car. Same with Bottas and Hamilton.
    As I said before, Hamilton, Kimi, and Vettel, have all won races and championships in less technical cars nearly 15 years ago. Way before Verstappen and Leclerc stepped foot in a F1 car. Even though Max and Leclerc only drove in this hybrid era, its not fair to diminish their skills. They didn't choose to be in this era.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Exactly, you can only drive the car that is under you. You cannot compare the cars of 10 or 20 years ago, nor the driving skills involved.
    Racing is now more technical than ever, and driving involves a lot of system management and strategy, rather that "seat of the pants" skills.

Cavallino Nero Rampante and ktu like this.
  11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Spa Kimi, unsighted by the pink car, cut across massively. Verstappen didn't brake overly late or made a dive bomb. Monza...is that the one where he was overly cautious and the field suddenly slowed down even more?

But fine, even if you want to give that to Verstappen as a brainfart

2-3 bad races in nearly 2 full seasons. We can find that about every great driver in the field today.

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I think it’s a fantasy to think the #2 driver has the same car as the #1 driver. Ask Prost at McLaren.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpalmito and Bas like this.
  13. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    In some cases this was true. Flavio Briatore said Schumacher's Bennetton was "not the same" as his team mates.

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Wouldn’t have wanted to give Jos Verstappen anymore than a bumper car myself;)

ktu likes this.
  15. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Agreed ask Alonso when he was at Mclaren

stavura and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think that both drivers were treated the same at McLaren as far as equipment.
    It's just that Alonso, on the strength of being twice WDC, expected a rookie to show him deference.
    It wasn't part of the script for Ron Dennis, and the Spaniard went mad over it!

Terra and ktu like this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

That’s the Brit speaking and part of the story. Equipment was the same I’d agree and Hamilton probably didn’t show him deference...

Now the part you miss : we all know Hamilton was shown favor treatment because he was good BUT he was British, in a British team and everyone’s darling. That’s a fact. It is a British team. Alonso should not have joined them.

SimCity3, Jeronimo GTO and Bas like this.
  18. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

Ron Dennis never thought Hamilton would be able to compete with Alonso in his Rookie year.

ktu likes this.
  19. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    Verstappen is simply a bad loser, and inexperienced, (arrogant and ignorant spoilt brat comes to mind too) Verstappen had the best car on Sunday and still lost, so he makes sore loser statements....Lewis kept it straight in the most unbelievable slippery and changing conditions, and showed even when he doesn’t have the best car, he still on top......

Lewis and Verstappen in identical machinery, Lewis would still win because Verstappen would do something stupid....

Grow up Verstappen and stop making excuses blaming everyone else...then he might become a champion.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

william and ktu like this.
  20. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Why would they bother ?
    Hamilton and Rosberg got the job done.
    And Bottas P2 in WDC.
    Happy Days in Stuttgart.

DF1 likes this.
  21. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Ron Dennis was Hamilton's mentor.

Later it was Jackie Stewart who warned Button about joining Team Lewis.

22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    LMAO
    Your opinion, of course, but based on prejudice, generalisation and pit lane gossips.
    Explain how so many non-British drove for McLaren and never complained of being ill-treated.
    Lauda, Senna, Prost, Hakkinen come to mind.
    Alonso suffers from some form of paranoia, IMO.
    Also, if Alonso was so unhappy at McLaren, why did he go back there ?
    That didn't make sense and completely destroys your theory. :p

23. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Straight from the horses mouth - Shanghai 2007

McLaren co-owner Ron Dennis defended their decision to delay Hamilton's stop by saying: "We weren't racing Kimi, we were basically racing Alonso."

Natkingcolebasket69, Bas and DF1 like this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You as well !! You don't look at the big picture and you only quote what suits your agenda.
    Shanghai was the penultimate race on the calendar; the situation had gone worse at McLaren, and the daggers were out.
    Alonso had testified at the FIA against his employer in the spygate enquiry, and by then also signified he was leaving the team.
    Of course Ron Dennis was looking after the team's interest and backing Hamilton more than the sulky Spaniard.
    Dennis had realised that recruiting the twice WDC had been a mistake, when Hamilton as a rookie could do a better job.
    This had nothing to do with nationality. McLaren had many foreign drivers, and some quite successful too.
    If you are British, you should know that successful British teams, companies, or clubs look for the best, regardless or nationality, race, creed, or religion.

ktu likes this.
  25. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Legend says that Alonso still has nightmares of Hamilton in 2007