'90 TR Ignition staying on! | FerrariChat

'90 TR Ignition staying on!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by wda24729, May 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Good afternoon. Ive just taken my car up (1990 TR) for its annual inspection and during the process the alternator light came on at full glow and then after I switched off at the key, all the ignition and instruments stayed on, coolant fan still running etc but engine off.

Any thoughts on this one? Do you think its something to do with the battery at low levels? Its charging at 11.6v with engine running which isn't right, but not sure why it should affect the ignition system.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Don't see how (but am a little unclear if you meant that the alternator warning light came "on" during the testing with the engine running and then did go "off" with key "off", or if it also stayed "on" with the key "off". Can you clarify which condition you have:

1. Alternator warning light "on" (and wrongly have the other stuff still stay "on" even though the engine stops) with key "off" = bad sign for ignition switch itself

2. Alternator warning light "off" (and wrongly have the other stuff still stay "on" even though the engine stops) with key "off" = bad sign for relay S operation

3. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hi Steve - Im not sure if the two conditions are was just coincidence.

Engine was running on idle, warning light came on bright and then when the engine was switched off and key taken out, all the lights and instruments stayed on including the charging light

Put the key back in, turn to position 1 (fuel pumps activate) and the charging light goes off, other parts stay live as would expect.

If I turn battery switch off / on, all ignition lights, gauges come on, but fuel pumps don't activate until key is turned to position 1!

So Im not sure which scenario I have!

Confused?

Also noticed the warning light get brighter with revs.

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Would suggest that you get the alternator sorted first -- am now seeing a path for the alternator internals to cause the other weirdness (relay S wrongly staying "on" with key "off').

5. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Sorry Steve - Position 2 (before run)

Re the fuel pumps - They just quickly buzz / prime for a second when the key is turned to Pos 2. Not run constantly.

Alternator out then...deep joy!

Thanks Steve

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Not on a stock TR -- would it be a CD (or something with a hard drive inside) doing a self-test?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    That's interesting, its always done that so assumed it was normal! Its definantly fuel pumps as its the same noise made when I bypass to check fuel system. Any tips on why it might be doing that appreciated

Took my alternator out. Tried my ignition again and its back to normal so I guess something must have been shorting through the alternator? I'll get him in for rebuild now.