90 TR Twin Turbo build | Page 4 | FerrariChat

90 TR Twin Turbo build

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by timemachine, Jan 9, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    #76 timemachine, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok, back at it again...The past couple of weeks been playing around with many possible turbo layouts...I've had the turbos installed in almost every concievable configuration and finally decided to go with what I'm posting up now (everything is always a compromise)...At first, once the stock muffler was out of the way, it looked like there was a ton of room, however, as usual once you start putting parts in, the space quickly disappears....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. triplej16

triplej16 Rookie

Mar 10, 2013
    The car is coming along great. Its awesome to finally see the turbo engine going into the car. I can't wait to see the end result.

3. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    #78 timemachine, Mar 10, 2013
    This is a top view...I decided to mount the turbos as close as possible to the engine. The turbos will be affixed to the engine, so it all moves together. The turbos will be supported with small chrome moly tubing that picks up off the back of the transfer case. The turbos will be mounted on small spherical rod ends to allow for the exhaust growing. In the aforementioned dyno pull, the main pipe grew over a 1/4" in length. By moving the turbos in close, I can get them up high enough that the gravity old drain backs will work properly and I'll still have hood clearance for the support tubing. The right angle aluminum pieces mounted to the air cleaner tray bolts are temporary. From this pic, you can also see the air inlets (aluminum pipes in the center). The bends will be modified further (probably 120 degrees) so that 2 - K&N air filters will pick up air from roughly the same factory position. The turbine outlets (3" SS pipes, which appear to be straight up and down) are basically a straight shot to the original factory dual tip muffler outlets in the lower rear valence.

4. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    #79 timemachine, Mar 10, 2013
  5. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    #80 timemachine, Mar 10, 2013
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    looks very good ! ! ! :) :) :)

important is also to put a heat shield between the turbine at the distributor.

the wastegates are adjusted to 6 psi. so no chance to adjust also from the inside of the car?

7. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

John, what an awesome project. Coming from many years of hotrodding Japanese V8's that were never meant to be hotrodded, I can sympathise with all the fabrication you're having to do. I'd be very interested to see/hear what you're going to do for turbo heat mitigation on this project?

8. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Heat consideration is always a concern with street driven turbocharged vehicles. That's why I wanted to make the turbine outlet plumbing as short and direct as possibe... Honestly, don't think the heat will be that big of a problem in this vehicle...compared to the Corvette with twins on it and a completely enclosed hood, I think the vented rear hatch will be a big plus. I will install heat sheilds where necessary.... and am planning on using lightweight high efficiency brushless DC motors for the fans to aid in cooling.

9. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Thx Joe, that's very helpful

10. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #86 JeremyJon, Mar 15, 2013
    great project!

the turbine housing is indeed aweful close there, there also are the heat blanket style covers, which work well, i used once for close to firewall turbo, might be something to check into if more is needed

11. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

John, would be interested in hearing more about these. Are they the fans that Stewart/EMP are selling? What sort of current & CFM are you expecting them to draw & produce?

12. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    J&J,
    The CF turbine wrap/cover is what I use on my TT Vette, that's what I'll use on this project too...Thx for the suggestion. They work great, on the previous CF hood I had on the Vette, the paint blistered a little above the turbos, once we installed those CF covers, no more blistering. I've got miles of clearance on this project compared to the Vette, so I'm still confident that heat won't be an issue....

As for the fans, we used them on our ProMod car, I'll look up who the vendor was and post up later...They're extremely light I remember that and used brushless motors..

13. alnoe

alnoe Rookie

Mar 16, 2013
    John

Good tallking to you Friday-thanks for the link to your build. Very cool project and exactly what I have come to know your workmanship to be!

Hope you and the family are well. My 9 year old helped me pu the 427LS into the '67 this past weekend. I love projects where uopur kids can learn to love the same things we do (although yours is way, way more impressive:)!!

Talk soon.

Al

14. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Very nice project! There is nothing like a well sorted forced induction car, and the Ferrari Flat-12 has proven to take very well to it.

Anyone who knows high power turbo cars knows the true benefit occurs at high speed, when NA cars which may be otherwise comparable at lower speeds are seriously running out of breath! :D

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #91 turbo-joe, Mar 18, 2013
  16. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    #92 FerrariF50lover, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    Maybe I missed it but what is the total lbs of boost you plan on running and what kind of gas? What is your CR over all? What turbos are on it? What did you use to tune it, piggyback or full ECU swap. I am a HUGE TR fan as well as a forced induction fan and you sir have a breath taking example of what it should look like.

17. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    Thx for the vote of confidence,,,pls see posts 34 and 48...

18. Jimi900

Jimi900 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    So how are things going on this awesome build?

Jim

19. timemachine

timemachine Karting

Dec 8, 2009
    Hartland Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Meaney
    More stuff to come shortly, thx for the kind words...Turbos are mounted, waiting on 321 SS bends out of CA...the Titanium bends turned out to be cost prohibitive, I only needed 4 and the minimum run from the Boeing supplier was 25 pcs...bummer:-(...I think the 321 .035 wall will be close enough, weightwise.

20. Jimi900

Jimi900 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    So have you finished up the amazing build yet?

21. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Congrats on a great build from another C4/TR guy!

Sanjay
    90 ZR-1 LPE 415 stroker, 12:1 DOHC LT5
    89 TR

22. bowtie8@comcast.net

Jan 20, 2013
    Where you at John

John

23. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland