90's electronics :-) | FerrariChat

90's electronics :-)

Discussion in '348/355' started by Cauf61, Jun 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Started my 348 after 2 weeks today and suddenly the engine turned very very rough , like it was missing a few spark plugs igniting.
    After reading the temperature from the 8 exhaust sections with an infrared meter i could see they are all heating up to about the same temperature. So they are all firing, but very bad.
    So ???? what could it be.
    Testing some connectors in the engine bay......nothing changed.
    A few minutes later the rpm gauge was falling to zero, what ?????

Finally cut the battery 5 minutes to do a ECU reset and .......tataaa everything ok. Engine runs like new and rpm gauge working again.

A Ferrari remains a strange thing. :)

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It's not 90's electronics, but 20 year old electronics ;) Do you have any home appliances. electronics, etc, older than 15 years?

If your tacho fell to zero, then it's probably a crank sensor problem (water or oil in the plug?).

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    For info, the F348 (2.7) Left Bank (cyl. 5~8) ECU processes its respective crank sensor info and passes it on to the tachometer. On your car, you have two crank sensors. I'm not sure which sensor on the crank (the lower or the side sensor) is the left bank sensor. I seem to recall that there was a discussion on whether the workshop manual was correct or not.

On my F355 5.2 car, there is only one crank sensor (which is mounted on the side of the crank).

4. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    t's not 90's electronics, but 20 year old electronics ;) Do you have any home appliances. electronics, etc, older than 15 years? Yes , working fine.

If your tacho fell to zero, then it's probably a crank sensor problem (water or oil in the plug?). Sensors are new and connectors are 100% ok. Making a ecu reset changes nothing on the sensors. I think maybe a to low battery voltage put the ECU's in error or something. Problem was on the 2 banks.

5. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Anybody knows where the tacho signal comes from ?

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    The main ecu is my understanding

7. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I seem to recall an old discussion about the benefits of regularly resetting the ECUs.

9. Surfari

Surfari Karting

Nov 4, 2016
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Luke
    It seems like I need to reset mine and go through the warmup process once in a while. I'm actually planning on doing it earrrrly Sat morning while it's cold outside (low 60's).

There was another thread about this but I think it ended with everyone saying just to reset the power every so often.

I know next to nothing about electricity other than V=IR and my soundcraftsman amp that is older than me still kicks ass *shrug*

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Did you check the clearances of the new crank sensors after installing them, Patrick?

It comes from the left (left bank/5~7) ECU. The left bank ECU uses the rpm data from the left bank crankshaft sensor.

According to the F348 manual, the crank sensor for the left bank is the one on the right hand side of the engine. On your photo, the one at 8:30. This is where the tacho signal comes from. So, for crank sensors, you have to look at where the harness comes from, not where the crank sensor is.

Beetle likes this.
  11. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    I think it's 80's and 90's (as my 84 400i has similar electrical issues which are common), Fiat electrical parts issues. I have other cars similar age or older with no issues. I think some of the electrical parts from corporate parent Fiat are just plain bad.

12. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yes i did . Between 0.5 and 0.9 mm. For some time the engine run great.
    Maybe the reason was a bit low on battery tension. My 348 is not on a trickle charger as i don't trust them to much to leave alone (fire hazard) . Maybe i should reconsider.

13. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    That is exactly what I found when mine went rough running and the tacho died. Turned out to be the crank case sensor at 8:30.

Replaced both from the Kia dealership!!

It can do the odd cough from time to time before its fully up to temperature; but I suspect this is just damp in the electrical plugs and or condensation on the motor/crank sensors or something similar.

As is always said, older cars like / need to be run regularly; and these fall into that camp.

Qavion likes this.
  14. Cauf61

Cauf61 Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2016
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Patrick