91-92 Diablo vs 94 TR | Page 2 | FerrariChat

91-92 Diablo vs 94 TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by TODDZTR, Jan 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    If you get down to inspecting a Diablo, there is a recent thread on things to look for on the lamborghini - talk forum

TODDZTR likes this.
  2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I think i had a bad one. I tested a few with heavy clutch like u said and ran away from them . Leg hurt after 15 minutes.
    Mine drives super easy. Plus being european i have never known till i move to the US power steering or air conditioning;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    entirely possible. but the build quality was kit car level imo.

i bought a 512tr shortly thereafter and it has been my favorite car of all. i have driven it 30k miles all over the place from vacation cruises to track time. easy to drive once you get used to the size and the efforts required. i even used it as a daily for a few months.

HCF-John and blkdiablo33 like this.
  4. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Did you have any of the carrier issues or was it done already before you bought the car? How have you found the maintenance to be?

Sent from my BBA100-1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I'd say the diablo off the bat. Everybody loves seeing the diablo. Especially if you are one of the many guys that put less than 500 miles a year on these cars.

but if you don't like the hassle of being gawked at then the tr is better for that. I pretty much drive my TR anywhere. grocery store, home depot, the bar, work. Wherever. In a diablo, I don't know if it would get driven that much. But when you do drive it, I'm sure its much more of an event. The girls love it too, whereas the TR is almost invisible to women.

6. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    what is the carrier issue?
    over the last 18 years of ownership, i have spent less on the 512tr than every other ferrari i have owned.
    my own view of ferrari maintenance is that it is a function of a few things:
    - was it built right to begin with. did guido and luigi have a good day or a bad day? were all the parts used on spec?
    - has it been abused by the owner and asked to do things it was not designed to do?
    - has the minimum maintenance been done regularly? and by that i mean just basic stuff like oil+filter changes etc.
    - has it been driven? i mean really driven, like at least 3k miles per year or more? garage queens end up being fragile and prone to problems.

if the above are answered positively, the car is generally no more of a maintenance problem than any other car. ferrari engines and transmissions are usually pretty strong. their weakness is all the other stuff.

sherrillt likes this.
  7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Hey Ross,
    I see you spend part of your year in Houston (unfamiliar with this Geneva place...must be in the Hill Country :))....if you want to get together for a car swap on a nice day (warning, I never put the top on), maybe we can make believers out of both of us.

Maybe I can be one step closer to my hero......Shamille.....except for that Murcielago thing....yuck

8. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD

Attached Files:

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Seems like you are put out by the TR diff issue.....trust me, maintenance costs between these two cars will be WAY more similar than they are different.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I think nobody knew that time ... :) !

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    My 512tr has the latest differential. Maybe I'll try replacing my clutch.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

12. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Not really too worried about the diff, I'd just get a Newman one and drive on! In all reality I guess as I read people's thoughts here, if I bought a Diablo with a new or newer clutch and services completed, it should be worry free driving vs a TR I'd have to do belt changes every so often vs a chain with no maintenance...

13. Natkingcolebasket69

I guess; as i said i experienced ugly hard to shift TR and totally nomal
    Ones. Same thing with the supposedly hard to shift onto second; that same car i had tested was really hard to shift. Fluids had been done but i guess diff and clutch might have been tired.
    Car is still for sale so I guess there is a reason why!

14. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    hey shark ! yes i would love that....except that the 512tr (along with the bbi and the f40) are in storage in the uk. and i miss them terribly.

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Remember to check the head gasket.....if its the original, it has to be on its last legs, also an engine out.

16. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Ok, noted!

17. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Mel, what did the power steering conversion cost you?

18. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Todd, just as an info, I did replace my Tr diff with a Newman one and did all myself and cost was near $5000 CDN in parts.

TODDZTR and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  19. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    I've owned a vt and sv diablo and now a tr if u want to compare a diablo to a 512 tr go 94 better brakes awd better looking dash and more improvements and also power steering

20. Natkingcolebasket69

512tr doesn’t have Powertrain steering; ask melvok;)

21. TODDZTR

TODDZTR Karting

Aug 26, 2004
    near toronto
    Full Name:
    TODD
    Doubtful with my budget I'll get a 94. Never know what might pop up as I want something with some miles on it, no garage queens. I do not want to worry about how many KM's I put on it in a year.

22. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Hey Toddztr,
    I'm glad your thread has gotten so many responses. I still own my 91 Testarossa and have put 61,000 miles on it. I had put 72.000 miles on my 97.5 Diablo VT Roadster before it was destroyed in an accident a couple of years ago. Both cars were absolute daily drivers including heavy Florida rain.

From a maintenance point of view, we know the Testarossa is expensive with the major engine out. Ok, a Diablo is way more to maintain even with no belt change.....and for giggles my Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster is even more to maintain than the Diablo!
    In general, both cars are honestly bulletproof. I have done all the service work on both cars myself except for the belts on the Testarossa and the clutch on the Diablo. I have the kevlar clutch on the Testarossa and it took 5000 miles for it to wear down properly so the clutch pedal wouldn't go down to the floor at high revs. Yes, for some reason, the clutch material is too thick and it's oversized. I don't know why they do it this way...but it is. The Diablo will benefit from a Kevlar clutch as well.....as it's manual. If you were looking at a later Murcielago egear car...forget it! It's very jerky and rough. A friend just changed his back to the organic from the kevlar on his Murcielago because the car was undriveable.

While you have mentioned the diff, it's not as widespread as it's made out to be. It seems to be hit and miss. But, ecu's on the Diablo are a ticking time bomb and no one....I mean no one has come up with a viable alternative to the 94 + that uses a GFA module.
    Early 91's have marginal brakes as mentioned but also have a tensioner update needed. Two are from the top but the lower one is an engine out. Most cars have probably had this done already as it's a known item. One thing is the lower crank bearings on the 91-93 are poor quality and will wear out. For that reason, I saved a little more money and started looking for a VT. By the time I was looking for cars to buy, I was able to enter the VT Roadster arena. A lot of the early issues and 3 generations of brakes later, it was a better car.

If you had to ask which one, I say Diablo! Then again, I'm not a suble person and I like things over the top. The Diablo is a show stopper and the doors never get old. You can do all the maintenance yourself with a OBD II scanner and a multimeter. You won't find much help on the forums as most Diablo owners really don't work on them. It's easy to get spoiled with all the great help in the Testarossa section.

If it means anything, while I have put over 12,000 miles on my Murcielago Roadster, the egear is boring. The Diablo was a much more exciting car to drive.....and drive everyday.

I hope this helps. If you have questions, just post, and I'll answer them here for you.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

5859, mikael82, Gialllo uno and 2 others like this.
  23. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    If u get a vt 94 Over a 91 u get p/s

24. Natkingcolebasket69

No power steering in any TR is what i meant;)

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  25. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I think there is a misunderstanding in this thread.
    Early diablos are very 'raw', very 80s italian build construction (vs the TR which is a bit better quality).

That said, later diablos are much, much more refined. The addition of PW ~94, the conversion of the clutch type ~97, the redesign of the suspension geometry (multiple times, most pronounced with the 6.0) changed the character of the car quite a bit. It would be unfair to compare a later diablo to a 94 TR.

In all honestly, I would say the late 90s (98/99) diablos are closest to the TR in build quality. The 6.0s are much superior.

Blind spots still awful though.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.