911 or Cayman | FerrariChat

911 or Cayman

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Jon H, Mar 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jon H

Jon H Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jon Halvorsen
    I have test driven both a base 911 and Cayman, wondering if any of you have had a Cayman and/or a 997 to provide a long(er) term viewpoint on the respective differences.

I enjoyed both, however I liked the 911 better mainly for the larger interior.

If I were to go with a Cayman I would get an S version, 911 would be the 3.6 - either
    car would be an ordered car.

Thanks, Jon

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    If the Cayman had a sunroof, I'd have a Cayman S six-speed instead of a 997. Cayman is much better balanced when driving hard/on track, and I think they're pretty similar on interior space with the Cayman maybe being a touch smaller. I just couldn't get over the no sunroof thing (odd, I know, but I'm an odd guy ;))

I assume the Cayman will depreciate more than a 997, but frankly they're both pretty bad in that department so not sure I would let that influence my decision.

3. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    Have you possibly considered (if you can find one) a Boxster Spyder? And you'd almost have to drive it to understand what I'm saying but, back to back drives with a CaymanS, the Spyder is a blast! (Plus I am partial to the RS style seats).

4. Jon H

Jon H Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jon Halvorsen
    Indeed a very cool car, but I need a steel roof so the A/C can do it's thing!

5. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #5 Mark(study), Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
    I'm looking at both right now. I've boiled it down to the following...

911 is becoming Porsche's GT.... bigger, more comfortable, luxurious, easy to drive fast.
    Cayman is Porsche's sports car.... more road feel, handling, go-cart, push-it to go fast.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not odd - I get claustrophobic in cars where you can't open the top and wouldn't buy one without at least a sunroof.

For everyday practicality, I like the Cayman's luggage spaces. But I think the 997 is a better looking car (my brother is on his 2nd), and I can't see how anyone would exceed the handling capabilities of either unless you were using it as a competition car.

Hard call, but I'd probably go 997.

7. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The Cayman R is now out which is basically the cayman version of the spyder but with a little more power still.

Dave

8. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #8 Mark(study), Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    This nails it. A Cayman is for the hardcore. Compared to the 911, it will beat you to death as a daily driver. But, when the lights go down...

Sadly, it is Porsche's slowest seller. So what does that tell you about where the market is headed?

Dale

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think the 997 has roughly the same cargo capacity, it's just harder to get to than the Cayman. the rear hatch is a great addition.

beat you to death? the Cayman isn't that harsh. I drove one from Topeka KS to STL and was totally comfortable the whole way. (997 is an amazing distance tourer as well)

11. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I can't call it hardcore. More comfortable as a tourer than the Subie STI or 99 M3 I used to own. But it is sporty. If you combine boxster with cayman sales, they look pretty good. I think Porsche did make a mistake pricing the cayman higher than the boxster.

Dave

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    agree 100%, and it appears that the market agrees too.

13. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I like the idea of a Targa Cayman. But I would probably have ordered the Boxster S anyway. Now if I did not have a garage the Targa would be more appealing.

And yes, the 997 is more of a GT.

14. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Length:
    997 176.26"
    Boxster S 172.1"
    Cayman S 172.3"

Wheelbase:
    997 92.52"
    Boxster S 95.1"
    Cayman S 95.1"

Weight:
    997 3,660 lbs
    Boxster S 2,987 lbs
    Cayman S 2,976 lbs

Height:
    997 51.18"
    Boxster S 50.9"
    Cayman S 51.4"

15. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Without mirrors:

997 72.91"
    Boxster S 70.9"
    Cayman S 70.9"

Yes, the 997 is two inches wider.

16. waltk88

waltk88 Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Walt K
    I'd definitely pick Cayman S over 997 3.6. The mid-engined car is lighter, better balanced and more agile. The base Carrera is slightly quicker in a straightline, but not by enough to counter the Cayman's other advantages. I'd even pick Cayman S over Carrera S. You'd have to kick it up to at least the Carrera GTS to tempt me into the 911.

17. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My Cayman S is the only Porsche I've ever owned. 911s just don't appeal to me. A few long time Porschephiles with a lot of track experience have told me Caymans handle better than any 911 ever made. One went from a 997GT3 to a Cayman S. I'm sure 911s will always be a much bigger seller. It is the halo model that people aspire to. Drivers who value sporty, balanced handling over power and bragging rights may increasingly choose a Cayman or Boxster, especially since Porsche keeps upping the performance of those models.

Like Phil, anytime I get to wondering why I keep the 430, all I have to do is take it out. The thrill factor is MUCH higher.

Dave

18. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    I like the way the Cayman drives, nice car. However, I think the 997 is a better looking car. I would say it depends on what you are going to do with the car.

19. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not sure... 997s seem to be wildly popular track cars. I would say technology has made it something of a toss-up, with the 997 having the benefit of more power.

Practically speaking, the 997 rear seats are a joke, though, so in some ways the Cayman is a better package, if you like the looks.

20. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I was going to start another post on this subject, but it should fit here also.

I owned a 2001 Viper RT/10 for a year or so and sold it because it was so uncomfortable to drive a long distance in. The kick-in-the-pants acceleration was fantastic, but to get in it and drive the 90 miles to my lake home was tiresome.

I figure I'll buy another sports car someday (if all goes well) and I really thought I'd be happy with a mint and low miles 550 or 360.

However, the more I read F-chat and look at cars on the internet, I think I'm starting to become a really big fan of PORSCHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've noticed that some of the "players" in this game have a few Ferrari, but they almost always have a Porsche or more in the stable. Carrera GT, 911 Turbo for their daily driver, Porsche GT3 or GT2 for a track toy, Boxster S, etc....

So, I still like Ferrari, but I think I'll be looking VERY hard at a 996 or 997 Turbo for my next "toy". Maybe I'll try a Ferrari at some point, but I think the Porsche makes more sense.

MDS

21. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Porsches have always been more sensible.

Dave

22. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    It occurred to me while skiing today that the Boxster S is like a wife. The 360 is like a mistress. ;)

23. Jon H

Jon H Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jon Halvorsen
    "Porsches have always been more sensible"

Excellent point, and for someone like me who is not interested in another cam belt Ferrari
    but cannot afford a gear driven cam Ferrari, Porsche is the only real alternative.

But it is a good alternative!

24. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    997 is more prestigeous but the Cayman/Boxster is a better driver.Get the S either way because the brakes are awesome and the handling is great.

I have always loved 911's but when it came time to buy, I bought a Boxster S. I have driven 993 and a 996 at the track, and prefer the box as a daily drive and a track car.

I would love to have a 997 S some day as a daily drive, but would still use a box or cayman at the track.

Funny thing, I get a lot more attention in my Evo X than the Box. Take that for whatever it is worth.

Buy what your heart tells you to, not what the interweb forums do.

25. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Had the mistress out today. All is well on this side of the divide.

Best,
    Dave