911 R crazy market | Page 10 | FerrariChat

911 R crazy market

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by absent, Jun 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Of course you can get an R, it's just a matter of biting the over-MSRP bullet.

2. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir

True for anything, isn't it? Paying many multiples of MSRP for a brand new car is a bullet bigger than I will bite. The R is brilliant, but worth 3-5 times more than the upcoming manual GT3? Not in Bundyland. 😊

3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    They made 6000 991 GT3 RS? Wow. That's a lot. No wonder they are constantly on eBay.

4. Vintage Racer

Vintage Racer Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    15 Year member in GA
    Full Name:
    Doc
    Porsche is very good at producing "exclusive" models. I bought my 991.1 when the 50th Anniversary and the 'new' GTS cars were just hitting the showrooms. I think that they make 14 different 911's?

5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well as long as there are buyers for these "exclusive" models at rarified prices Porsche and Ferrari will continue in this vain. All the manufactures do it but Porsche, Ferrari seem to be better able to pull it off with their cliental better than manufactures Ford, GM, Toyota, Nissan etc.

It is all about the perception of something rare and special that the fan "must have". I can't believe that a 911 R is so special vs. a GT3 RS that they made thousands of, other than the fact they plan make a whole less 911 R and they are hard to get.

How did the Porsche guys who just purchased a Cayman GTS feel when the Cayman GT4 came out a few months later. Admittedly some what different cars but I suspect most GTS buyers would have bought the GT4 if they both came out at the same time?

6. Vintage Racer

Vintage Racer Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    15 Year member in GA
    Full Name:
    Doc
    The 911R would be a comfortable daily driver while the GT3 RS would not. ;)

7. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Not sure how many Porsche owners you know or talk to but I know several hundred in my local PCA region so perhaps that is a reasonable sample size for a basis for comparison. The number who use a GT3 as a daily driver are either one or zero. Several use a Turbo, base car, S or 4S as DDs actually not so many. Most GT3 cars are either weekend cars of track cars. So I am guessing that 911R owners will not DD a 911R but may use it more than they might a GT3 RS but I think you can get a radio and A/C in a RS if my memory serves me.

8. msn

msn Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2011
    Taken from Rennlist.com

I agree with Mr. Linton. At first I was very skeptical regarding the car. I don't like numbered offerings. And since I had not been allocated one at the time I was really hoping it wasn't "that" good. But it is. After driving the car in the hills surrounding Stuttgart I wrote that the car was the offspring of a 997.2 RS and a '74 3.0 RS. Only it's faster and more useable. It reminds me of a canyon blasting sport bike. It's a masterpiece. I'm certain Porsche will use the R DNA in other upcoming models so all can enjoy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robert Linton View Post
    I say again, many for whom I have the greatest respect say it is the finest Porsche since the 964RS/3.8 RS. And it is a Porsche, not an after market car, not a resto-mod, not anything but a true Porsche.
    Suitcase is offline Reply With Quote

9. msn

msn Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2011
  10. msn

msn Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2011
    #235 msn, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  12. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    They say that about every car that comes from Porsche Ag's GT division :) until the next one comes out :eek: and then they say that again! :D

13. msn

msn Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2011
    I think we will look back as we do now at the 964 Turbo S and 993 GT2 and see this a defining moment of the 991 series.
    As with the 4 litre 997 a true masterclass this seems to have earned it's recognition from not only the professional reports by great journalists but also from the owners.
    The Gen 2 991 GT3 RS we be a truly great car and will hopefully bring all the benefits from the R to the wider audience with more numbers produced.
    A perfect result all round

14. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think that's a very optimistic / wishful prediction. What are the parallels you are drawing between the 964 Turbo S and 993 GT2 to draw you to this conclusion? I see them as completely apples and oranges.

15. msn

msn Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2011
    The prediction is not optimistic as I own a 964 Turbos S lightweight, I have always felt the 964 TS and 993 TS or GT2 were always run out models when Porsche were still a very small production number producer. The 991 R is similar on the basis of a run out of the 991 series before we get into small engine's and turbos. The R although not a small number in production , it is small compared to lets say the 6000 -8000 991 GT3 RS models and the next 6000-8000 991 GT3 RS gen 2 that will produced.
    Porsche have to build car that not only excites the driving experience but comply to modern days standards..
    My comparison was based on the limited number that will be produced, the driving experience that is not being questioned. and the name R..
    It will sit proudly next to my Turbo s and rightly so..

16. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EbbxWI7UvA[/ame]

17. msn

msn Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2011
    Great Video Tenney,

18. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Awesome car...I want one!!! Anyone here want to sell their R at MSRP? I didn't think so...

Nice video but the commentator kind of ruined it for me...is that Alan from Two and a Half Men?

19. msn

msn Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2011
    #244 msn, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Congrats. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the R.
    T

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Porche also needs to make money for VW these days. I dont think they will be so arrogantly limited. Like most of VW they will start making cars peopel actualy want.

We'll see plenty of RS's, well see manual Rs's, well see production cars liek the R, well see a GT4 with some type of Gt3 motor etc.

There is a large seam to mine here. The traditional sportscar buyer has been abandoned by most. especialy ferrari lambo etc. Many sportscar buyers like interaction over paper speed, and its not an everyday car so doesent need an auto. They like great sounding engines, and they understand the difference between one lap paper specs and consistyent performance, they understand a car that is "slower" may well still be much faster than the driver especialy on track.

Porche seems now to get tis. While the regular 911s go turbo and pdk, they are plannign a whole range of NA backroad and track capable cars.

One last point, to really sue acar today, it needs to be inetractive on backroads because for reasons of traffic, safety, laws and speed possible modern cars are just not driveable near the limit on public roads. This is also why we see a explosion of de events and track clubs , which means a modern sportscar for enthusiasts also has to be good and durable on track. Porche it seems isstarting to figure out how to mine this seam, while ferrari stays stuck in making paper spec fast handbags for rich men and women.

22. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Nice! Congratulations!!

23. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Congratulations!

24. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    This is a good post.

I agree with most of this... especially the great sounding engines, interaction and drivability on public roads. I find myself more attracted to the somewhat older cars lately instead of the latest and greatest. The new stuff is just not that usable, or should I say enjoyable, on public roads unless your going 8 tenths plus...at which point you risk losing your license.

I want a car that gives me emotional feedback even if I'm not going that fast. Recently bought a 964 and I enjoy driving it more than the 991 GT3.

I'm not convinced the new RS's will have a manual option though.

25. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Hmmm, I wish you were correct but I think the smaller turbos are here to stay, and they will find themselves in the GT car division very soon.