911 R crazy market | Page 9 | FerrariChat

911 R crazy market

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by absent, Jun 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wegentop

Wegentop Rookie

Oct 11, 2015
    Full Name:
    J
    It's fair to say the price what they are asking is bit silly, but I don't think there will be a problem to find a buyer willing to pay the retail price at anytime too.

2. Vintage Racer

Vintage Racer Karting

Sep 22, 2006
    15 Year member in GA
    Full Name:
    Doc
    They are very nice cars, but I wouldn't pay over MSRP.

3. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    When Porsche leaked info about the 911R to its NA HQ, I got wind from a dealership back home; and as soon as I thought I'd heard a special secret, the cat was well out of the bag and into the hands of every profiteering flipper that could find some buyer desperate for a shot at what is most likely the best 911 this or the next side of twenty years.

I feel like we need to take a step back from the obviously ridiculous resale value as a number and consider the savage interest that inflated this bubble (as only time will demonstrate poppability). What lead to the jockey-and-joust of it all was the threat of "no more manuals" after the 997 GT3RS. The 991 GT3 came out and we drummed our fingers only to find that indeed the webpage rumors were a reality and got our RS's with paddles as well. Oh what a first world problem. This fear of the analogue which had never seriously threatened Porschephiles was suddenly ridding shotgun to our hairpins, stalking the angst in our left feet, camping in our garage where a fat stick should be standing erect in its carbon tunnel.

When the 911R was projected to approach 200mph and yield guttural "vrumphs" like the GT3 but in the suit of a well dressed 4S with an attitude, all hands went up because it meant a return to something - some-THING - that had left the world of performance driving.

Companies like Caterham and Ariel take it to the extreme and cars like the Speciale, the end of a financial spectrum that makes aggressively carving an ill-traveled country road a problem for your CPA, so the R had a niche that was quite literally virginal and desired in a way that would make Humbert Humbert blush. It wasn't the next million-dollar world-crusher, it wasn't a Concours wine to be aged in air-conditioning, it was finally a no-holds-bared drivers car that would put to rest the desires for another lady and perhaps settle the argument of greatest DRIVERS car, once...and...for...all...

So this need for purity - this CSL, Stradalesque need for purity was no feint to Porsche, this was a real call for a return to something. We say, "...okay okay. The paddles, fine, fine. But..." And it was a big voluptuous butt. "We miss that je ne sais quoi." Something special was finally yielded from GT3RS tech and Porsche know-how and it was good. Then those who saw the potential for profit took it a step somewhat too far... I feel like these new prices are reflective of the advantage taken of a truly passionate need for driving pleasure begged for and so lovingly expressed in years of brand devotion. This was a reward for the love of the drive, not a chip to be bet. What brought us all into this game was one or two experiences that sunk the bite and built the beast. It's a desire that tickles lest escape.

Taking the 911R as a greenback play-piece is keeping it out of the hands of the every-man Porsche buyer who has been waiting for a car like this since the 993 Turbo. This was never meant to be a $500,000 investment piece. It was an answer. Porsche heard the call for the real and actually built a car to answer. Then the gamblers turned the promise into a carrot which it currently dangles well out of the reach of the truest drivers, the butchers of tarmac and lovers of a burnt rubber who would make use of this car as the soul-tool it was intent on being. Caging a car like this under the hope of higher resale is not a car lover's move. It's what will highlight investment eyed brokers over enthusiasts, businessmen over drivers and feminine hygiene sacks from hardworking car guys.

Free the 911R.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Extremely poetic post, and with much truth to it. It will be interesting to see if/how the rumored manual 991.2 GT3 impacts the R. Likewise, if it comes to fruition, the take rate on manual versus PDK will also be interesting...T

5. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The .2 if indeed a stick will not impact the R, IMO. The R was never intended on being a poor man's GT3, in the same way the Clubsports weren't meant to outshine the Turbo's. Obviously eras have changed, but the ode to the drive remains the same.

Playing weatherman for a moment, I'd say that if the next GT3 (or more likely, the GT2RS) arrive sans-flaps, our current 991RS will resale at the deal of the century for maybe a year and then will return to high dollars to compete with falling 458 prices mid 17'.

What Porsche need to understand is that there is a market for the R. A market that transcends 918 and RS. There needs to be a 4S style R which can be both fair game for buyers of a couple tax brackets as well as support some development costs for upcoming Carreras.

6. msn

msn Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2011
    Im not sure it will affect the R to much, apparently Porsche full filled if not all the 991 GT3 RS orders and word is nearly 8,000 cars were produced. We are still seeing new car deliveries in the UK of the 991 GT3 RS
    It will be a numbers game on the gen 2 991 GT3 RS , if 8000 are produced again it will have little or no affect on R prices.

7. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Paul what is the source of these numbers?

Is this speculation or can this be independently verified by Porsche Ag?

8. footsoldier

footsoldier Karting

Sep 18, 2009
    Mine certainly won't be locked up.

9. msn

msn Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2011
    #209 msn, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Joe,
    I doubt we will ever know the full extent to the number of GT3 RS produced, but it an awful lot more than the original number, we are still having new cars delivered over here which is unheard of.
    The 8000 number has been mentioned over in the UK a few times now through various friends in the Porsche community, my understanding is that Porsche full filled ever order that was requested.
    From memory another poster from a Porsche magazine ( tomblue3 )quoted 7000 had been produced and that was months ago, its anyone's guess really.
    I know we are over supplied over here with cars.. cars are pretty close to list now in the trade.
    Nearly 100 cars for sale, any colour, spec you want
    Used Porsche 911 GT3 [991] cars for sale with PistonHeads

Porsche 991 Angebote bei mobile.de

10. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #210 ralfabco, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bingo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a winner.

Duck and cover after the music is over.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #211 Schatten, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    :)

I'm enjoying the white/no stripe look even though I wish it had turned out....different ;)

13. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

If this can be verified, then wow. To put that in perspective, that would mean that there have been close to or more 991.1 GT3 RS produced alone than 997 GT3 variants combined (.1, .1 RS, .2, .2 RS, .2 RS 4.0).

14. msn

msn Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2011
    Hi Sterling, hope your keeping well, yes it is unbelievable, I feel the same as your father, the car to collect is the 4 litre 997 or maybe any variant in the 997 range.
    Although my 991 GT3RS is a great car, numbers are killing this.. The gen 2 is now in the lime light and still customers are having gen 1's delivered.
    Paul

15. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Looks great sans decals!

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    As I predicted a few months ago, the 991 GT3 RS can be purchased at list today.

If your numbers are correct (I know someone at Porsche Ag who can verify but we might as well wait till production is over), then we'll be able to pick up 991 GT3 RS at under list.

Way under list.

17. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    Thanks for posting. I'm in the minority and not a fan without the stripes. Looks like most 991 Carrera's IMO. Unlike a Stradale, Scuderia or Speciale, without stripes, you can still visually tell you are dealing with something special.

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    funny, the external differences between 360/430/458 and CS/Scud/Speciale are effectively the same differences between a regular Carrera and a 911R...front and rear bumper covers, wheels, ride height.

btw I love your screen name ;)

19. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Where?

I'll buy every single one.

20. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Riiiight, they made more gt3 rs's than gt3's, total nonsense that 8000 number.

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  22. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's actually true, they made 3500-4000 GT3s (fewer than anticipated because of the engine recall stop sale) and some number greater than that (believed to be around 6,000) RS's due to demand (some of that being orders shifted over from the GT3).

23. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
  24. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir

+911

And, thank you, msn, for posting another great vid by Chris Harris. My favorite auto journalist since stumbling across Evo magazine issue #1 at the Houston airport years ago.

Count me among the Koolaid drinkers. I want a 991R, and may try to get the new manual GT3 if that's the closest I can come.