911 (Type 964): Turbo, Carrera RS, Leichtbau, and more | FerrariChat

911 (Type 964): Turbo, Carrera RS, Leichtbau, and more

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Sterling Sackey, Mar 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

#1 Sterling Sackey, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    The 964 spanned a number of extremely special versions, from the Turbo 3.6, to the Flachbaus, to the Speedster, to my personal favorites, the unforgettable hardcore track cars such as the Carrera RS, Carrera RS 3.8, and Turbo S 3.3 Leichtbau.

All 964 content is welcome here, although I will focus particularly on the special variants with my postings. Let the commentary begin!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud likes this.
  2. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

The famous and iconic 964 Carrera RS, which by Porsche's own marketing was a triumphant return of the Carrera RS 2.7's racer-for-the-road concept.

The car is shown here in standard form, also known as "Leichtbau" meaning lightweight - the car would also be offered in M002 "Touring" trim with amenities added back in, as with the original 2.7 RS, as well as a special street-legal "M003" Competition (N/GT) version completely stripped of all but the total essentials. The M001 code designated a Carrera Cup car (non-street legal), which after the beginning of RS production became based on the RS rather than the standard Carrera.

joe sackey likes this.
  3. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

4. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Another icon of the Type 964 range, the Turbo S 3.3 Leichtbau (Lightweight). This was a brilliant mix of Carrera RS chassis with Turbo power, produced in exceedingly rare numbers. In my opinion, this car is the precursor to the GT2 range, in all but name! These cars trade hands for well over $1 million today.

The side graphics on these cars read "Supercar Champion IMSA," a tie-in with the 964 Turbos that were racing in the IMSA championship at the time.

Camelot, NürScud and joe sackey like this.
  5. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

"Lightened, hardened, and widened." The Carrera RS 3.8, only 55 produced for road-use. Born with the intention of homologating the new RSR racer that would compete in GT racing, this was a very special car and is in my mind the ultimate 964 money can buy. Ownership is an elite club, to say the least!

6. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

"The one for America." The 964 RS America, around 700 units produced. This car was closer to a standard Carrera 2 than a Carrera RS, but it put together an appealing package for those looking to take their 911 to the track or club events, and unlike Porsche does today, it charged customers less in return for their accepting the reduced luxury options in the car!

7. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Hans Joachim Stuck at the wheel of the championship winning #58 Brumos 964 Turbo 3.6 IMSA Supercar contender. This car would win 7 out of 9 rounds that year in the series, demolishing the competition

8. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

cnpapa24 likes this.
  9. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

10. Carrerarsr

Carrerarsr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Frank

Attached Files:

Sterling Sackey likes this.
  11. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Wow. Very cool. One of my favorites. I have the other car on the cover. Not the actual press car, but close enough. ;)

Sterling Sackey and pnorell like this.
  12. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

13. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Tiff Needell reviews the Turbo 3.6, which featured a turbocharged version of the then new 3.6-liter unit found in other 964s. Check out that Mint Green!

14. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

15. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

16. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

17. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

18. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Unique Carrera 4 attributes. This technology was a big deal in the early 1990s, an affordable version of the system that impressed so many on the iconic 959

19. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

20. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

21. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Camelot likes this.