918 Spyder | Page 2 | FerrariChat

918 Spyder

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Sterling Sackey, Nov 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

Porsche attempting to get tricky with the numbers, to make the 918 Spyder's weight "issue" look favorable in comparison to the Carrera GT! :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

JASONZZZZZ and GuyIncognito like this.
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    "we're not fat, just big boned"

:eek:

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Tbh, I’m kind of amazed the 918 only weighs 3602 in WP form. Put another way, it’s a spider that’s 200 pounds lighter than my Acura NSX with 300 more HP!

GuyIncognito likes this.
  4. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

The development team of the 918 put a *huge* amount of effort into making everything lightweight, to compensate for the weight of the hybrid system. As can be seen in the graphic above, the car would be lighter than a Carrera GT without the hybrid system, even despite the other more modern safety tech and innovations such as rear wheel steering, etc.

5. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    #30 BusDriver, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Great thread! Good to have a place for 918 info. Here’s some more info:

3602 lbs with a full tank of gas is real world correct for a Weissach Edition 918 with minimal options. I weighed a heavy optioned 918 Weissach in the high 3600s (with front lift, electric heat, all comfort options added back).

The 397 lbs + 90 lbs refers to the weight loss from technical advances in the 918 compared to the CGT. The 918 uses a very similar tub and engine cradle to the CGT, but every aspect is heavily optimized for weight - the big loss is -68kg from the engine (the V8 is 137kg compared to 205kg for the CGT's V10 even though horspower is almost identical) , and everything else is optimized compared to the CGT. For example, -4kg from lighter doors, -2.4 kg from the iconel exhaust, 1.85kg from the CFRP oil tank, -1.5kg from carbon CFRP anti-roll bars, etc.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Do you still have your 918?

7. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

This is great stuff, thank you for sharing. The difference in engine weight is rather impressive - people often talk about horsepower per liter, but the reality is that horsepower per pound is a more valuable thing in terms of performance.

8. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Yes, still a special car that will be even more so over time. In future years, the 918 will be seen as a mad-cap twin engined hypercar bridging the two eras of combustion and electric. Other than the AMG Project One, not clear if there will ever be other such hypercars.

Technical understanding of the car is from a combination of factors - ownership, love of technology, and many visits to Stuttgart in recent years. And finally, I am not shy to use the car properly, some times with a data logger attached :)

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Do you mind sharing your best data results?

10. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Sure...
    2.2 seconds to 60mph and 4.7 to 100 on a 1 percent uphill.
    In electric mode, 5.1 seconds to 60mph

And some related info to add to this thread:
    The production car's electric power is almost 10 percent greater than that of the pre-production cars used in magazine tests and the Nordschleife lap. Also electric rpm limit is higher - the front electric motor disengages at ~172mph instead of 165 quoted, and 145 in the pre-production cars. Estimated total power for the prodcution car is 930 horsepower calculated from 3rd gear vbox data and actual weight, drag, and rolling resistance, and assuming 14 percent drivetrain loss. The car will do a rolling burnout at 70mph in the dry :)

To preserve the drive train, maximum power is limited for the first 1 second after launch so a 911 Turbo S is slightly quicker/tied until then. Car is engineered to do 300 launches without problems until CV joints need replacing from wear. After launch, the first 4 gear shifts need to happen in 5 seconds so very difficult to get maximum acceleration without automatic shifting. Car is too fast to paddle shift!

joe sackey, Boomhauer and Jo Sta7 like this.
  11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Amazing stuff, thank you! I think 200 kph is 6.8/6.9 seconds or thereabouts. Am I right?

12. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Sounds about right but I have not measured to 200 km/h.
    Development target for acceleration to 200 km/h was the Veyron, but actual acceleration is similar to Veyron Super Sport.

Sterling Sackey and Jo Sta7 like this.
  13. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

randkin, TexasF355F1, cgt000 and 2 others like this.
  14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    918 is my dream car. My first purchase if I won the lotto or decided to just do something crazy.

15. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

16. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Jo Sta7 and Thecadster like this.
  17. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

joe sackey likes this.
  18. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Bump for the 918 Spyder search, see above.

19. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Jo Sta7 and Thecadster like this.
  20. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

21. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’ve heard the car is a real handful in the wet and breaks away very unnaturally.

23. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

The majority of track-tuned sports cars and supercars are a handful in the wet, so that's nothing new

24. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

joe sackey likes this.