930 Turbo Carrera | Page 301 | FerrariChat

930 Turbo Carrera

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by joe sackey, Nov 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    Ferrari 512 BB vs Porsche 911 "930" Turbo: the fight of the sports of the 1970s

Back in the 1970s for Automoto, Jérôme Barconnière and Denis Brogniart revisiting the first rear-engined Ferrari, the 512 BB, equipped with the 12-cylinder flat 5 liters developing 360 hp for 1.575 kg. Sold 1,000 copies only, the prancing horse coupe is currently trading between 250,000 and 500,000 euros depending on models. But opposite, opposite philosophy at Porsche with its 911 type 930 turbo flatbed 6-cylinder engine of 260 horses, but with a featherweight of 1,200 kg. The German is also cheaper, currently between 150,000 and 200,000 euros if you are collectors. If you can not choose, in performance, Porsche advantage on the 0-100 km / h in 5.5 s (vs 5.9 for Ferrari), but a much lower top speed, limited to 250 km / h, against 280 km / h for the free 512 BB

https://www.tf1.fr/tf1/auto-moto/videos/ferrari-512-bb-vs-porsche-911-930-turbo-combat-sportives-annees-1970.html

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The first mid(not rear) engined road going Ferrari was either the 206 Dino--some do not consider it a true Ferrari, I do--or the 365 GT4/BB.

3. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  4. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    While I love both cars, having had much seat time in both, I can tell you that they couldn't be more different.

5. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    No doubt...and just missing the Lamborghini Countach from the 1976 Car magazine supercars face-to-face.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
  7. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Karl Ludvigsen gave me a bunch of slides from the the same era, outtake images not used for his book, which I hope to post someday, meanwhile love the in-period tall-profile tires, they are a good look for the 3.0 930.

8. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I love this cover. Three different visions of what a supercar should be, each from different planets in most every aspect.

9. cebeturbo77

cebeturbo77 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Switzerland
    Another small step for number 148 ...

In about 10 days we shall start the painting process, can not wait to see Tombac Metallic live on the car!

Attached Files:

10. rdwinelover

rdwinelover Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
  11. steveintoronto

steveintoronto Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    I love the 934. The whole reason Porsche started down the 911 turbo road in the first place. To think, initially the plan was to produce only 500 turbos for homologation. Now what are there, seven or eight generations of the 911 turbo?

12. jb21

jb21 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    Agree. Here's that full arches look on 9305700080. As far as I know this was taken shortly after delivery to Australia, which is listed as 1st August 1975 (thanks Ryan). But as I still don't know who the first owner was, I can't be certain.

But, of course, your tyres, final drive and speedo all have to match, so you pretty much have to stick to whatever the car came with. My car incorrectly ran with lower profile tyres for a while, which overstates speeds and distances. It's going back on CN36s now.

13. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012

Great photo! Is that another Porsche behind the glass in the photo? Was your car originally delivered with only a driver’s mirror?

14. mrar

mrar Karting

Jul 23, 2014
    australia
    They look like Volvo's in the showroom.

15. Topocalma

Topocalma Rookie

Jun 24, 2017
    Thanks guys this is really helpful. Seems like in my car the cutout had been opened for installing a device and not it is closed from behind the dash. I will talk to the PO to see to find out more about the car, lets see if I can find out what it was.

The interior temperature sensor seems not to be available anymore. Do you guys (77's) still have it? I read that witout the automatic control cannot work properly (mine does actually not work properly but I suspect stuck butterfly valves, I yet need to get on a hoist. Driving currently becomes a pretty toasty experience). Clearly a part that could be built to a high spec again quite easily....

Reg. my antenna question I believe currently I have a Hirschmann Auta 2040 installed which seems to be period correct.

I am giving some TLC to the interior which I want to preserve. Has anyone experience in refreshing the Turbo script (yellow on black carpet)? I am thinking redying the original script or restitiching the original carpet?

16. jb21

jb21 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    Yes, I believe it was. Aussie style. Black rectangular item, sitting further back on the door. Not like the UK Durant standard issue at all. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Great to hear that.

Very cool, matches the window trim and looks wonderfully period.

18. steveintoronto

Mar 24, 2007
    My car does still have it's temperature sensor, although I have to confess to very rarely touching the temperature controls. If it is cooler I put the windows up and close the sunroof. That is the extent to which I usually use the climate control.

Do keep an eye on Porsche parts availability, both OEM and reproduction. I waited for about a year before Porsche put a bushing for the rear window wiper mechanism back into production. I had already made my own, but I prefer everything to be OEM.

Unfortunately Porsche doesn't currently make the sunvisors for the 930. Their Parts catalog sends you to a 964 part, which is all black and has a vanity mirror. Sierra Madre had a reproduction part that was the right two tone and didn't have the mirror, but that has now been replaced with sunvisors with the mirror, so I regret not having moved sooner to acquire the right pieces (mine are somewhat puffy).

Good luck, the right piece will pop up eventually. Keep an eye on the parts classified on PelicanParts, too. Sometimes you can hit gold.

of2worlds likes this.
  19. jb21

jb21 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    959 and steveintoronto like this.
  20. jb21

jb21 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    Apparently it can come with a matching 2.7 ROW Carrera Targa if you want...no affiliation but you don't see a pair like that every day!

959 likes this.
  21. steveintoronto

Mar 24, 2007
    Thanks to jb21 I started looking at the Dr Konradsheim website and see that they sell the base plate for the temperature sensor, you are half way there Topocalma.

http://www.rsr.at/rsr/parts/detail/id/539

22. rdwinelover

rdwinelover Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    #7522 rdwinelover, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Old Nostalgia

Dr. Glickfeld, an Orthopedic Surgery is 86 years old today and has been involved with collector cars all his life.

The deposit game of then is not too different than today with Porsche. The Dr. lived in Texas but was buying a car in FL. just to get his hands on one.

Porsche gave out the rare "Tribute to the Turbo Carrera" book to those waiting patiently for a 930 Turbo. The corresponding book number is #227 of #1000 printed.

http://www.myplainview.com/news/article/Judge-rules-in-doctor-s-favor-in-antique-car-case-9008955.php

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Love it, especially with sports seats.

24. rynoshark