930 Turbo Carrera | Page 308 | FerrariChat

930 Turbo Carrera

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by joe sackey, Nov 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Topocalma

Topocalma Rookie

Jun 24, 2017
  2. 959

959 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2015
    of2worlds likes this.
  3. 959

959 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2015
    sold in 2012

1975 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Guards Red
    Coupé
    4 Speed Manual
    3.0 liter
    44,080 km
    VIN-No. 9305700080
    A$ 159,995

Following on the back of its racing successes of the early 70s, Porsche decided it would use its expertise with turbocharging race cars to build the ultimate road going 911: The 911 Turbo. The first Porsche Super Car.
    Developed by combining the technologies from the Turbo Carrera RSR 2.1 and the Carrera RS 3.0 of 1974, Porsche would introduce the 911 Turbo as its flagship model, the quietest and most luxurious high-performance car that Porsche had ever offered.

With changes to the rules for Group 4 and Group 5 racing being introduced in 1976, Porsche would need to produce 400 911 Turbo road cars to homologate the 934 for competition in 1976. The wide wheel arches of the production car were to enable the 934 to run 10.5" front and 12.5" rear wheels with fiberglass extensions. The power and torque produced by the turbocharged cars necessitated a new gearbox being developed which could be used both on the production car and the Group 4 and 5 race cars. Thus came the 930 4 speed transmission and the use of a larger Sachs clutch which could cope with the eventual 750hp of the 935 cars.

When the new 911 turbo was introduced at the Paris Salon in October 1974 it was lacking nothing and priced accordingly (more than double the price of a standard 911). Production commenced in January 1975 in order meet the homologation target by the end of that year. 274 produced in MY75 (MY75 cars are effectively pre-production cars, changes were made for 76).

Due to the overwhelming demand for the new flagship, Porsche offered the first cars built to "friends of the factory". Norman Hamilton, the Melbourne based importer for the brand was one of those friends. Celebrities, Royals, even Steve McQueen would have to wait for their cars.

Built on the 1st Feb 1975 and delivered by Scuderia Veloce to a Melbourne customer in August 1975, this car is the first 911 Turbo customer car produced for the Australian market. The car was then sold in 1978 at which time it went to Queensland with 20,000 kms recorded. The car then remained in the family ownership until 2008 during which time it was relocated to Sydney and was bought by the current owner has recorded 42,000 km.

To the end of production for MY75, 6 cars were delivered to Australia, this being the 1st and only Guards red car. Optioned with sports seats in Tartan trim and Black headlining, air conditioning and special Australian spec 3.0 RS mirror (which only the first 6 cars here had as they were changed in 1976) as were all the engine bay stickers which are all the early type ones.

4. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012

https://parabolicapress.com/collections/books/products/porsche-turbo-3-0-publishers-edition-book

PUBLISHER’S EDITION DETAILS

The exclusive Publisher's Edition of the Turbo 3.0 book is offered in a numbered series limited to just 300 copies. The Publisher's Edition differs from the standard Limited Edition with several unique and extra special surprise features included within a bespoke clamshell box designed specifically for the Publisher's Edition. Additionally, the Publisher's Edition carries on Parabolica Press's theme of offering a “Behind the Scenes” look into aspects for how each book is produced. For the Turbo 3.0 book, the Behind the Scenes supplement continues where the Carrera 2.7 Publisher's Edition Supplement left off by exploring the deep research necessary to produce books at this level, peering through the viewfinder of several photographers and, finally, understanding how the artistic concept becomes reality of several commissioned illustrations.

of2worlds and 375+ like this.
  5. RodSav911

RodSav911 Rookie

Apr 1, 2016
    One detail that I forgot to mention is that the dealership here now requires a photo of the car and vin number as well as registration papers under the person making the request as proof of ownership to send the COA. The dealership will not send any info before those documents are presented and they need to submit to Germany who will look at everything and make a decision. When they got the green light they send me the build sheet while awaiting the COA.

So full tartan is the front seats, back seats and doors...cool!

Anyone knows what “Mirror Plan Driver Side” refers to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    of2worlds likes this.
  7. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    Yes, full Black Watch Tartan :)

Your car was delivered to Germany so the driver's mirror plan is likely the standard body painted mirror. Not sure why it was mentioned.

8. RodSav911

RodSav911 Rookie

Apr 1, 2016
    Do you still have your original radio in yours? If so, what more is it?

Thanks

9. RodSav911

RodSav911 Rookie

Apr 1, 2016
    *model

10. cebeturbo77

cebeturbo77 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Switzerland
    Unfortunately not, but I have sourced a correct one during restoration.
    Not yet installed as the restoration is ongoing.

11. cebeturbo77

cebeturbo77 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Switzerland
    I am turning to this community for some advise.

I have the opportunity to buy what looks like an original 930/50 engine MY1975.

I do not really need it, as my car has the matching engine.

This one for sale is not running and missing a few key parts, but would be cool to try and locate the car it was originally installed on.

Requested price is very reasonable, in my opinion, as a fully complete and restored engine would likely be well over 50k euros and probably approaching 100k for the owner of the matching chassis, looking to re-unite the two.

What is your opinion, shall I bring it home and start looking for a car missing its engine?

12. RodSav911

RodSav911 Rookie

Apr 1, 2016
    Cool.

What model is correct for our cars? Koln or Bamberg?

Thanks,

Rod

13. cebeturbo77

cebeturbo77 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Switzerland
    Hello Rod,

I believe we have sourced a Koln, but I am not 100% positive, as my Porsche Center was doing the purchasing of the different bits and pieces for the restoration.

I do not believe the COA for my car has any detail about the original radio installed.

Sorry I can not be of further help.

Cheers,
    Cesare

RodSav911 likes this.
  14. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    RodSav911 likes this.
  15. RodSav911

RodSav911 Rookie

Apr 1, 2016
  16. RodSav911

RodSav911 Rookie

Apr 1, 2016
  17. jb21

jb21 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
  18. stevie 77 930

stevie 77 930 Rookie

Feb 7, 2012
    Woodland Hills CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Very nice Eric ! How's the car running? Hopefully no more issues with it stalling ?

19. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks Steve! No more stalling thanks to your help. This is by far one of my most fun cars to drive!

20. cebeturbo77

cebeturbo77 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Switzerland
  21. cebeturbo77

cebeturbo77 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Switzerland
    Very similar (almost identical) to my 1977 and only 26 numbers apart ... looking to see how the reception will be.
    I have an idea to trade mine in for a 964 RS ... now that my 1975 is almost completely restored ....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. cebeturbo77

cebeturbo77 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Switzerland
    Nobody has any opinion about this potential purchase?
    I do not have immediate use for such engine and it may be just a piece of junk with an interesting number on the crank-case.

I would bring the engine home just with the potential idea to look for the original car or to supply this engine to the owner of some neglected MY1975 shell that needs to be re-built with a type-correct engine.

Price is not steep, otherwise I would leave it with the seller.

Here is part of the number ... looks authentic to me .... Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    Not a lot of sales data...Automobilia Auktion Ladenburg sold one in Nov 2017 for 50,050 euro - $61,797.

1896 PORSCHE

Engine for Porsche 930 3, 0l Turbo of 1975, first series, complete refurbished with very many new parts, type 930/50, engine No.: 6750101, good condition, rare

http://www.autotechnikauktion.de/mg/katalog.php?auktion=84&SESSIONID=&L=2&search=1896&stype=nummer&BUTTON=find#

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. cebeturbo77

cebeturbo77 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Switzerland
    Thank you for the input!

I already saw this sale, and I believe the deal was a very good one ... in fact the buyer (in my understanding) of this 6750101 was nobody else than the "infamous" Freisinger, who has now effectively cornered the very limited market with 3 such 930/50 engines in inventory ....

The one I am looking at is in bad shape with some difficult to find parts missing, but was installed at some time on a car (should not be a replacement engine).
    So the interesting challenge would be to re-unite the engine with the original car, if still in existance.

The price is very reasonable, but the seller is a "difficult" one.
    Apparently he is not a Porsche expert (hence the price) and has difficulties to provide information.
    I have no idea how he got hold of this engine, since he sounds unlikely to have any contact with the Porsche word.

I may be able to pay cash upon delivery, as he initially wanted the full amount wired in advance but I was not willing to take a risk with very limited information he was able to provide.

Let's see ....