930 Turbo Carrera | Page 317 | FerrariChat

930 Turbo Carrera

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by joe sackey, Nov 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thomasandersen

thomasandersen Karting

Mar 26, 2013
    Also if anyone is in the market for a matching numbers unmolested / unrestored 75 turbo, silver / black in Europe at a reasonable price ( no fantasy price ), then please email for details, have a client who has one available [email protected]

RodSav911 likes this.
  2. cebeturbo77

cebeturbo77 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Switzerland
  3. steveintoronto

steveintoronto Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    Re: the conversation about GT3s vs 930s on the street

I have been speaking with quite a few GT4, GT3 and GT3RS owners lately, they seem to be quite the track junkies. I have a lot of respect for someone who buys a track car and uses it as intended.

I had the 930 out for only it's second day of lapping recently, at Mosport. Far slower than a GT car, but an enjoyable challenge nonetheless. Still, if I could get to the track anywhere near as often as I would like, a GT car would be the way to go. The 930 is probably more fun on the street, as previous posters mentioned.

Our local dealers ran #sportscartogether events on Saturday, and the Upper Canada Region of PCA held their annual concours on Sunday. I was happy to attend both days in the 930.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Topocalma

Topocalma Rookie

Jun 24, 2017
    I have a question for you fellow 3.0 owners: I love my car for its looks, history and the experience of driving it. On the last however, there is one aspect where I expected more: The sound experience while driving it. My expectation was that I could hear more of the motor and especially turbo noises while driving. Maybe because of the soundscape of Magnus Walker' video of him driving his minerva blue 3.0 at night in LA. On stretches of the Autobahn with concrete walling right next to me reflecting the sound I can hear the cracle when easing of the gas (after going flat out :)). But I wished I genereally heard more of what is going on in the back..

How do you guys feel about that? Anything senible (reversable) you did about it?

5. cebeturbo77

cebeturbo77 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Switzerland
    My 1977 is up for sale

ROW car

You may find it on autoscout in Europe

I have now two 930s and I will keep the 1975 ... so the 1977 has to go.

Italian registered car.

6. rdwinelover

rdwinelover Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Topocalma,

I own both a completely stock early Turbo and one that has been modified with bolt on items below. The difference in sound, drive, performance, happiness, smile (on a 10 point scale) is easily 6 additional points, no Bull S:

1) K27-7200 from TurboKraft
    2) RarlyL8 Hooligan Muffler
    3) Waste Gate Dump Pipe

The stock muffler and stock heat exchanges as you know are unobtainable today (with matching #'s & correct date stamps). I took the suggestion of Aaron at Burnham Performance (who rebuilt my engine) to unbolting them and putting them aside.

I bought 2 used heat exchangers off the web and the after-market Hooligan Muffler from Rarly8.

As you already stated above, the stock muffler is a bit muted while the the RarlyL8 muffler sound incredibly better. It beefs up the sound big time and adds horse power via the free flow. The gurgling is also awesome to hear when off the gas, in a tunnel or next to a concrete divider on the highway etc. It's the muffler that Magnus has on at least one or more of his Turbo's.

Here is what I paid on 4/29/2016

Hooligan Single Outlet Performance Muffler - $895
    Muffler Installation Kit, Early 930 - $37.50
    Waste Gate Dump Pipe, Short $75 (this gives the Turbo a whistle sound when you come off the gas and the Turbo slows spinning.

Below is YouTube video of a Porsche 930 with a Rarelyl8 hooligan muffler and a K27-7200 Turbo.

While not my car in this video below, it sounds identical.

As I also assume you know that the stock Turbo (3LDZ) while fun, can be improved upon considerably by replacing it with a bigger Turbo.

To gain much more boost & horse power, it didn't take much. I drove my green car both stock and with the bigger Turbo and it made a massive difference.

I bought a brand new K27-7200 from Durabilt Durabilt Turbo - Turbo Rebuilding | Bradley, IL.

The Turbo cost me about $1500 and sadly wasn't a direct bolt-on conversion.

For the new Turbo to bolt onto my original stock mounting bracket, Aaron from Burnham Performance needed to mod the turbine on the new Turbo. He drilled one hole into it and it worked / fit. He consulted with someone (not sure who although he does do work for Magnus and has rebuilt engines for him).

PS; I used this thread to gain insight FYI - Is this K27 a good upgrade?

Topocalma likes this.
  7. cebeturbo77

cebeturbo77 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Switzerland
    Finally the big day in Mollis after almost two years .. Only second prize, but that's OK .. Somebody knowledgeable told me you got to have the right connections in order to win ..

rynoshark, 375+, cal007 and 2 others like this.
  8. rdwinelover

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Looks awesome! Congrat's.

9. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Congrats, Cebe!

10. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    Looks awesome - congrats!

11. cebeturbo77

cebeturbo77 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Switzerland
    I will post this AD here in hope that some real Porsche fan will restore another significant very early 930.... if you are looking for a 1975 this is a great opportunity.

On Mobile somebody has just put up for sale an honest MY1975 (#141) for a very attractive price:

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=263664955&damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&isSearchRequest=true&makeModelVariant1.makeId=20100&maxFirstRegistrationDate=1998&minFirstRegistrationDate=1970&minPrice=80000&pageNumber=2&scopeId=C&sortOption.sortBy=creationTime&sortOption.sortOrder=DESCENDING&searchId=a53a4f22-a6c5-8f27-b9a1-56d7d44137cc

I would get it, but I have already two and looking to sell one ... so it is up to the next lucky prospect owner, good luck.
    Hope it does not end up with a trader and flipped for a mark-up ...

12. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Jamie - Is there resonance in the cabin from the Hooligan? In another 930 I had, I ran a dual out 4.5" B&B and the resonance was ridiculous. I know there usually isn't/much resonance with a 1 out, but it sounds pretty damned loud in that video.

13. Marks930

Marks930 Rookie

Jun 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark Simpson
    Anyone know what the seats are? Not original 930 seats right?

14. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Aftermarket Corbeau saeats.

15. Topocalma

Topocalma Rookie

Jun 24, 2017
    Jamie, thanks a ton. This is the exact info I needed - I'll definitively explore the muffler and dump pipe route, am already on it. I'll report back.

On a different note: Ryan's book was wheeled in yesterday. AMEN! My wife looked slightly bewildered when we settled all four in bed yesterday night (that is my wife and I, the baby and ... the book). This is one hell of a source. Only flipping though the book and finding the listing of my Turbo was worth it. Turns out the paint to sample gray of my car is 1973 Cadillac "park avenue gray metallic".... how ridiculous is that. Also, as often noted the spec codes are often not comprehensive, Ryan's book quotes for my car aircon as an extra but does not mention the black headliner, while the COA ist exactly reversed....

Cheers

16. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I don't see it. Can you send a link?

17. Highway-Star

Highway-Star Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    From video's posted here and elsewhere, it sounds like there is an awful drone. On pelicans -forum also many swear by Rarly's exhausts, but I hear a fart can. Could be my ears are the problem, though.

Happy midsummer to all

18. cebeturbo77

cebeturbo77 Karting

Jul 7, 2013
    Switzerland
    I have sent you a PM with a LINK, hope it works ...
    Available for any question.

19. rdwinelover

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I don't have any resonance inside my car. Next time I take it out, I will record the inside of the car with my phone and post it here. I will also record it with my window open and with a concrete divider next to the car (in the far left lane). It sounds awesome. It also sounds incredible when I pass a big rig truck. The sound bounces off either / both and sends it back to me in the car and puts me in heaven.

It is loud but definitely not too loud to piss off everyone in the neighborhood. It's aggressive and "more" and on the edge of being obnoxious but definitely not obnoxious. In other words and again, it sounds epic. Especially when the Turbo kicks in and when you take the car up to the red line.

20. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I loved to do that when I had my 86 with the B&B. However, that exhaust was a little loud and obnoxious. Had to idle past cop cars when running on the highway. lol

21. rdwinelover

Feb 27, 2015
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I have a 76 930 Turbo with B&B (guards red). Compared to B&B, the Hooligan blows it away.

Once the car with the B&B is finished restoration, I intend on pulling the B&B, throwing it away and buying another Hooligan set-up. It's that much better...

22. Kevin Moodley

Kevin Moodley Rookie

Apr 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kevin Moodley
    I was just going through some old info I gathered and came across this.
    We are all familiar with they numbers...any reason that the Japan number would be specified separately...anything special about them compared to the other ROW cars?

23. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    It looks like that was lifted from Michael Cotton's Porsche Turbo book. Ryan's book has much more accurate and up-to-date info on Japan deliveries.

375+ likes this.
  24. Marks930

Marks930 Rookie

Jun 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark Simpson
    My ROW MY77 930 was sold new without sport seats. I am restoring this car and the seats are missing. Does anyone have a picture of the correct seats which I need to find?

25. pu911

pu911 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2012
    Bozeman, MT
    Full Name:
    Phil Ulrich