930 Turbo Carrera | Page 320 | FerrariChat

930 Turbo Carrera

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by joe sackey, Nov 7, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
  2. E_Man

E_Man Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    PM sent

3. Giuliakeka

Giuliakeka Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2013
    Paris
  4. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

I am looking for the right 3.0 Turbo Carrera for a client, sub-50,000 miles, please reach out if you have one to sell! [email protected]

5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    What is his budget?

375+ likes this.
  6. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I'm curious, as well.

375+ likes this.
  7. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

No specific budget, we will look at the relevant recent public sales and assess value that way, within reason.

8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The problem with that answer is it gives me no real motivation to decide if I am even interested in talking about selling my 1977 3.0 liter 930 TC. Thanks anyway

9. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Ha, wow.

A budget is frankly irrelevant, because a 10,000 mile car would certainly command a different price than a 50,000 mile car. A serious buyer will be open to market pricing for a car that is put in front of him, and luckily I try to only represent serious buyers. I also do my best to avoid wasting their time with sellers that aren't serious.

10. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    When I go shopping for something I usually have a pretty good idea of the range and maximum of what I am will to pay for the very best example of what I am looking for, that maximum amount is what I would call my budget. But I guess that is just me since I don't have unlimited funds and am not a billionaire. Perhaps others operate on a much different methodology?

On the selling side I have found that pretty much everything is for sale at some price. The price often depends if the seller is highly motivated or not. But since I don't really need the money, I don't need to spend any time thinking about what the number could be to interest me in selling the car. I guess that means I am not really a motivated seller and would only be wasting your time.

Recently I got a phone call from someone looking for a 930 3.0 liter car for a third party. They got my name from the 930 registry and their client wanted to spend about $50k -$70k for the car. I didn’t have to tax my brain at all dealing with the broker looking for a 930 at that price level. So that is the only reason I ask what the budget of your client might be.

Good luck with your search.

qereti likes this.
  11. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Correct, not everyone operates on that methodology. And correct, a seller who isn’t motivated often does result in time wasted, sadly, speaking from experience. I’m glad we are on the same page!

12. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    What is the buyer looking for? Fully restored car? A car due for a full resto, a sympathetic resto?

13. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Looking for a high quality example - not a project, modified car, etc. Nicely preserved original or restored examples could both fit the bill.

Kevin Moodley likes this.
  14. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Then I'm out. Mines had an original color repaint about 20 years ago, plus some mods. Original 39k on it, though.

15. steveintoronto

steveintoronto Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007

Thanks for posting this. Great fun to read. A couple of thoughts - 1st, when it comes to the comparison graphic, the shift pattern of the 7 speed box looks crazy. 2nd, if anyone wants to give me 200k quid for my car, it's yours! Finally, while the modern iteration is an amazing example of engineering, the original 930 just has so much charisma, it's a no brainer for me. As far as I'm concerned, parked side by side, the 991 disappears.

Don't get me wrong, I just bought a Cayman S as a 4 season daily driver-modern Porsches are fantastic, but a 930 really is something special.

E_Man likes this.
  16. simon930Berlin

simon930Berlin Karting

Apr 25, 2013
    steveintoronto likes this.
  17. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
  18. tomblue3

tomblue3 Rookie

Jan 21, 2016
  19. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    yes... stock 930 suspension makes the car feel like it has marshmallows for springs. :)

20. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
  21. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012
    hyenahf likes this.
  22. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    is this car red? Magnus told me that he found the first RHD 930 out in the boonies in Australia. I think the car was either red or repainted red according to him. Im not sure if he brought it to the states or kept it in the uk.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. steveintoronto

steveintoronto Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2007
    The 930 is fun on the track, no doubt. I've enjoyed tracking mine, but I've recently picked up a Cayman S to do double duty as a daily driver and a track day car. I noticed the Cayman drivers had the biggest smiles at the track.

My personal choice is to leave the 930 stock, and use it as an excuse for a second Porsche. After all, once you start modifying the 930, It's a slippery slope, so the bills likely won't end there.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  24. idart

idart Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2012