94 days left -- anyone still betting on USF1? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

94 days left -- anyone still betting on USF1?

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Dec 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    No way in hell you typed that with a straight face... :D

2. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #77 brian.s, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
    According to Windsor, they should have the monocoque finished soon, they were waiting for the fuel regs!! WTF?

Source, Ralph Shaheen.12/14/09. Yeah, I know.......

Oh, and a Cosworth principal (owner) recently said that he had visited the NC facility in September and had only seen the bare walls and new unmanned machinery. (source, someone in NC)

3. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    PeeWees arse you mean?

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That would actually connect with the story of their Argentinian hopefull (or -less) who said he saw a chassis in development in the autoclave.

Since PeeWee is saying all of this with a straight face and we're a few days away from X-mas I'd say they are actually no longer planning on making it to the first race but somewhat later in the season.

I wonder what Bernie's and the FIA's penalties are for that?

5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I know there are teams that have contested half (or less) of the season, but usually that's because they ran out of money to keep going. Has there ever been a team that joined half-way through a season?

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    When Ferrari didn't have their cars ready in recent years they participated with the old car until the Euro season begun. Not quite the same, but maybe PeeWee bought up the old SuperAguri cars for the first 3 races? ;)

7. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    #82 Isobel, Dec 19, 2009
    Sure , Lola/Haas/Beatrice being one... I believe Renault entered the turbo middle of '77 too...

8. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Damn, you're good!

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Twern't nuthin' ...;)

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #85 tifosi12, Dec 19, 2009
    Yup. She knows her stuff.

Back on the subject: Does anybody know what the penalties are for coming late to the party?

Isobel's examples were from yesteryears. I'd think in the current world of F1 penalties are draconian for not making it to the grid on time. Just guessing.

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    #86 Hawkeye, Dec 19, 2009
    But if one hour can become a week and a week can become a year, then there is plenty of time. The magic of Christmas and Santa is to believe in something (Christmas Spirit) that you cannot see :) Have faith in USF1 to pull it off, I think it will be good for the sport. With the size of the Ferrari market in the US and all of the other manufacturers, it's a shame that F1 is not more popular here. Merry Christmas everyone!

12. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    One that comes to mind is in 1988, when Alex Caffi ATTEMPTED to qualify in his Dallara. Why do I say attempted? Because their F1 chassis wasn't ready and they brought a modified F3000 chassis so that technically they had a chassis at the event and avoided a fine.

The real Dallara F1 car was present at the next round at Imola.

13. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Tick Tock. I have lost count. How many days left?

14. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    well...it's 81 days and 20 hours until the Friday practice in Bahrain on 12 March! so for a team to be fully ready to go it's probably less than 60 now....tick tock

Carol

15. CFCARRIAGE

CFCARRIAGE Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2006
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1. I'll bet $ he has the old Super Aguri cars in the back room and is waiting until he can get some new body work put on and the new Cosworth engine installed.

Relax you guys, they will have a car(s) to the grid. I just hope they can sign some drivers with a chance. There are still some good F1 drivers out there without a seat. But the question is will they drive for what USF1 wants to pay them? If he holds out long enough the anxiety will rise. You are getting too nervous. Thats the difference in a fast driver..waits to the last possible minute to brake and is pushing the limits. USF1 is pushing the limits..and maybe even enjoying the holidays to boot.

Loose lips sink ships! Keep up the good work USF1. The tension is mounting.

The only four teams with any real continuity and prep for 2010 are Ferrari, Red Bull, STR, and Force India. The others are in a state of flux.

16. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew

What he said. :D

Thanks Isobel. :cool:

Going on this old Super Aguri car theory again, and chassis from other racing formulae... isn't there a regulation in F1 whereby a car has to be within a certain percentage of the lap time for the leader or the pack average, or something like that? Would an old Super Aguri chassis or lower formula chassis be quick enough to meet with such a regulation?

All the best,
    Andrew.

17. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians

No prob. Andrew, it was called the 107% rule and it hasn't been used since 2002? I believe it was abolished when qualifying with different fuel loads made it impossible to regulate.
    I could be wrong and I expect others to come forward because I'm guessing...;).

I suppose a modified copy of an older design F1 car would be difficult to get in the field HOWEVER, with the rule abolished it doesn't matter and I do remember when those pesky Super Aguris (supposedly copies of the former year Honda design) were (much) quicker than the current year Hondas....;)

18. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

79 . . .

19. DeclanB

DeclanB Rookie

Dec 21, 2009
    I have a Christmas update from the boys at USF1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjjgS8AATd4

20. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks again Isobel. :D

You're just a fountain of knowledge, aren't you? ;) :cool:

Even if it's a rule not enforced rigidly in recent years, it'd be interesting to see if they attempt to apply it in some way on grounds of safety - the speed differential between USF1 and the other competitors might prove dangerous if the do turn up with an outdated chassis. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

21. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian