95 Berlinetta weight reduction and modifications. | Page 10 | FerrariChat

95 Berlinetta weight reduction and modifications.

Discussion in '348/355' started by INTMD8, Mar 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ShineKen and Mark HT like this.
  2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ShineKen, radback, audi_328 and 4 others like this.
  3. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Great stuff. What did you use to clean up the ports?

The difference between banks is incredible. One was done by a summer intern after a bottle of cabernet at lunch.

INTMD8 likes this.
  4. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Thanks and agreed.

Just used normal porting stuff, air die grinder, carbide burrs, sanding rolls.

5. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    That dissected head will make a nice conversation piece.. Perhaps some furniture.

6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Of any interest? I don't know. Here is progress anyway. As pictured in the last post, bowls are abrupt/lumpy to start. Maybe hard to see, shiny spot is high spot...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    All the time I have spent is blending the ports to remove sharp changes in angle/area but at the same time, making an effort to not enlarge the port while doing so. The mcsa (minimum cross sectional area) is already sufficient if not oversized for the displacement/rpm. Also the mcsa is near the valve guide like other multi valve heads.

Throat (lower edge of valve seat insert) was ported/blended to 23.3mm or 88% of intake valve.... and was wildly inconsistent to start.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen, Sj_engr, jimmym and 5 others like this.
  8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Looks nice what does the flow bench say ?? (before and after)

9. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I didn't flow them and have no plans to. Doing what I described was the goal and as mentioned, mcsa is already on the large side for displacement/rpm.

Increasing the mcsa would have increased flow if I was chasing flow numbers but don't think that would result in better performance unless re-cammed for much higher rpm.

10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Sent the heads off to Lesco. In the meantime collecting parts.

For head gaskets, I've read of some difficulties with Elring/production changes.

Thought I might go with Toda but decided against MLS as not sure if it would play out well with liner protrusion.

After further research I decided to go with Murray Glegg (in Australia).

A pleasure to work with and seems to be a very high quality part. :)

11. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Any plans on dyno'ing your car after all this? :D

12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Yes of course. :)

Everything I do with the car will be checked on the dyno and backed up at the drag strip. Not that it's a drag car, but I think it's worthwhile to see improvements in at least trap speed to back up any power gains or weight loss.

tres55 and ShineKen like this.
  13. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Awesome.

Your build is by far my favorite. I'm really curious how the header flange and port direction matching plays out for sound as well. The Tubi headers I installed...the quality was pretty terrible in my opinion for the cost, around the flange and tubing area. Definitely not flowing as nice as they could.

Patiently watching and waiting :)

INTMD8 likes this.
  14. Flynt

Flynt Rookie

Aug 23, 2013
    Good to see Murray getting some love here - as you say he's a pleasure to work with. The shop I work for use his gaskets in everything - 250, 275, Dinos, etc. Absolutely the best out there.

INTMD8 and MAD828 like this.
  15. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Great stuff. Can't wait to see dyno results. What do a pair of those Murray gaskets run?

16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Thanks guys. As for what it dyno's I'll be happy to make any gains at all.

These are highly optimized compared to other engines from the same era so it's just as easy to go backwards as forwards. I am treading carefully.

The gasket cost is inline with anything else out there as far as I know. 440 for the pair and 80 to ship to the states.

17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
  18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Targatime and jimmym like this.
  19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #244 INTMD8, Feb 17, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2023

Attached Files:

willrace, jimmym and Mark HT like this.
  20. Mark HT

Mark HT Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    Mark HT
    Very nice.
    I highly recommend center punching the back of the screws in addition to the loctite. Use a drift in a vise to support the head of the screws then center punch the tail to slightly expand the thread. I know from first hand experience that loctite isn't enough...

INTMD8 likes this.
  21. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Thanks. I'm using red loctite and did a trial run. (tightened screws with blades in place and let set up overnight). Was very difficult to remove the fasteners. Even after initial breakaway, lots of drag to remove.

I can stake them as well.

22. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Spectacular work. Can't wait to see dyno results.

INTMD8 likes this.
  23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    ^ Thank you. It's going to be a while.

Last thing I feel is worth mentioning with the throttle bodies.

To balance them there are test ports, which is the extended fitting off the side of each TB and also balance screws that adjust how much air is getting around the throttle blade.

There are some recent threads discussing some of these fittings missing and some tightened down so far they are nearly impossible to remove.

Without getting too far into it I think the root problem is old o-rings on the test ports and adjusting screws that do not seal.

Unless replaced they have been there almost 30 years and are flattened out.

So, if you break free a tapered test port to balance the throttle bodies but the o-ring on that fitting is petrified/doesn't seal in the bore, anything you do from that point on, with the best intention, is a waste of time.

Maybe there are factory parts for this but I ended up using o-rings from McMaster Carr.

2857T112 and 2857T113 (2 packs of 5 for each part number)

(old left, new right)

24. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Heads are still out. (No matter) 40 custom Ferrea valves were ordered at +.5mm (slight oversize so there's room on the seat for a multi angle valve job)

Received some parts from Hill Engineering (thank you!). A bunch of stuff but mainly their tensioner pulleys, clutch release bearing with new springs and a lightweight flywheel.

They said they do not recommend the flywheel for street use. I thought I might get away with it with the continual weight loss program.

Thinking I should upgrade the propeller shaft now as well.

Being I have an early car the flange for the release bearing has a narrower centerline for the return springs. I just dropped a cutter with same spring ID/OD at the new 86mm centerline, just under 1mm deeper so the spring would locate. (new springs longer so no worries on that)

Also ordered fasteners for the flange with an integrated/large washer OD to help with any part flex.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Targatime and OCKlasse like this.
  25. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Incredible work.

INTMD8 likes this.