95 F355 gearbox rebuild / syncro change | Page 2 | FerrariChat

95 F355 gearbox rebuild / syncro change

Discussion in '348/355' started by Testa, Oct 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

That's a perfect example of RifleDriver not being helpful. I've used Ferrari's OEM gear oil, Redline's MTL, Redline's 75W90NS, and Redline's Superlight Shockproof. There's also a great thread here on Fchat by Pap348 on Redline's Superlight Shockproof (while using a race clutch by FerrariFixer).

Redline's MTL is the least effective of all of the Redline gear oils. 75w90NS is considerably smoother, and the Superlight Shockproof is head and shoulders above even the 75w90NS.

Redline even has a special gear oil for damaged or "problem" transmissions to extend the period between rebuilds while getting good shifts, but it's not MTL...it's Heavy Shockproof: http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?productID=44&subCategoryID=16&categoryID=6

Likewise, it's worth pointing out that Redline's 75w90NS *is* a GL-5, Ferrari-spec'd gear oil. Why would anyone recommend a non-Ferrari-spec'd GL-4 gear oil like Redline's MTL when superior Ferrari spec'd GL-5 options like Redline's 75w90NS are readily available?!

2. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Interesting...... you make sense ND..... :)

3. 512bbnevada

512bbnevada Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2007
    las vegas
    Full Name:
    Biff
    All RD did was bash the 355 and say it was poorly made, none of his posts went it much detail as time went on, he would give enough info to specify were to look but basically no info how to fix it other than take it to a shop, IMO the real reason he stopped posting was his constant negativity was starting to cost him business as it made him look bad

4. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have been officially reprimanded and told to stop trolling ernies posts. That is as it should be and I will comply.

However, I continue to believe this community was greatly diminished by the loss of Rifledriver. I also continue to believe the petty insecurities, blissful ignorance and absence of consequences which all flourish so readily on the Internet are the real problems, not Rifledrivers attitude. The simple fact is that Rifledriver really DOES know more than most of us about caring for Ferraris. It would seem the height of illogic to prefer the absence of his knowledge and experience to the occasional touch of condescension in his voice.

The essence of wisdom is not knowing the answers to all questions but knowing where to find the answers. Therefore, when Rifledriver (or whomever) addresses a question by pointing us to the source of information needed to answer that question (e.g., the owners manual), he renders the highest service possible. What do I care if, while doing so, he implies I am an idiot? For crissake I *AM* an idiot if I didn’t read the manual first!

To ernie and the others who believe FerrariChat is better off without Rifledriver because his attitude and teaching style are not to your liking, I believe you have won a hollow victory. You’ve gained nothing except an increased sense of your own invincibility but lost a substantial pool of real knowledge and experience for the entire community. Thanks a lot.

Rant off.

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways

Keep in mind that the Owner's Manual has errors. For instance, the factory owner's manual for the 348 claims that the "Parking Brake" light gets lit for brake pad wear, but in reality it's the "BRAKE" light that gets lit, so just telling someone to go read the manual is a disservice.

...It wasn't just his attitude, which was bad. If you listened to RifleDriver you'd be driving with a blown headgasket after being told that it was just condensation...you'd be using a non Ferrari-spec'd GL-4 transmission oil...and you'd be using a waterpump most prone to failure (e.g. OEM 355).

You'd also think that only a dealer or authorized shop with an SD2 could change your clutch (when we've got the easiest to change clutches in the automobile world).

Frankly, I can make a case for RifleDriver being overrated. Post after post.

Hey, maybe he's better than me. Everybody's entitled to their opinion, but I've sure not been impressed with the little "advice" that he's given in between berating people with the rest of his posts.

6. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Well, here is a datapoint...

I do miss Rifledrivers posts, and would welcome him back. He was clearly very knowledgable.

This is an internet site, and folks do tend to be vocal with their opinions, it goes with the territory. He should have blown it off, or gotten used to it. IF certain folks peeved him off, he didn't have to reply to them. Most of us had enough common sense to figure out who knew what they were talking about, and perhaps who didn't. There are many knowledgable folks on this board, including Rifledriver.

Realistically, I would be willing to bet that Rifledriver misses being on this site. It was a symbiotic relationship. He got to communicate with a vibrant group of folks, and we got to enjoy his knowledge. I have seen the other sites that he is on, and quite frankly...there isn't much posting going on. They really are a mere reflection of this site. Brian is posting quite a bit on the other sites, and in fact he is replying to almost every thread. I think he wants to share his knowledge...

Rumor has it he does visit this site...feel free to post Brian :).

7. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Its obvious you miss the guy, you don't have to make a case for RD. He is a full grown man very capable of defending and speaking for himself. He opted out of his own free will to leave in a fit, knowing he had some backers like yourself to make an issue of it. He clearly had no problem deprecating others, so its hard for me to regard his 'self-imposed' exile as an issue other than his own.

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Confirmed.

He last logged in yesterday. If he wants to talk he will.

9. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    +1

10. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Sorry but I can't agree, I will stick to my post #17. If anything they are repeats of what someone has said or something that was read on some internet site and made to sound like it came from first hand experience. I guess I value someone's knowledge from their experience or that does the particular issue as their job or were trained in that field they are discussing. This is the reason I think it is unfortunate that we have lost these type of people. Regards, vern

11. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Well at least the knowledge is being shared, right?? I don't know of any 'one' person who has first hand experience/knowledge of all possible issues.

Also, as I have posted before... no one objects to helpful knowledge exchange..... it was the overt bullying, arrogance and rudeness displayed on numerous occasions.

12. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    LOL That is a fairly minor misprint not to recommend not to read the manual, but whatever.

I have used MTL in my 348, 308s and my 355 along with other cars I've owned long before this site existed and never had a problem. The 348 shifted fine with it(which had the worst shifting action of all my cars)I always check the oil(on any formula and every change and notice no diff. in any formula) after it is changed and also inspect the magnetic plug for debree never found any problems in 20 years of using that formula. I do prefer the heavier 70-90 products in the 355 but that is just a personal preference. Something to remember is that all gearboxes respond differently to the same formula one 348 may work well with a 70-90 and not the MTL.

If you are concerned about manufactures recommendation on gear oil then you shouldn't be using Shock Proof because last I remember Redline doesn't recommend it for our cars. I have used it myself and liked it also but didn't notice it worked in my 348 better than the MTL but you brought up the point of listening to the Manufactures recommendations. Ferrari also recommends the use of Shell products which are crap, I know I've used them. So if you are concerned why are you using Redline anyway Ferrari doesn't recommend it

I am not sure what you mean by 355 water pumps but they are much less prone to problems than the 308 pumps IIRC 348 pumps are more unreliable also. I know of a couple of cars with 40,000+ miles on them and have had any problems heck my challenge car has 6500 race miles and 13000 road miles on it and has not been touched.

Also IIRC the post was dealing with the recommendation of an SD2 or SD3 for clutch replacement as related to F-1 355s and 360 AND you do need to set the final adjustment with the SD or you will be replacing the clutch sooner than you should. If it is a std 6 spd than no on the 355 not sure about the 360 but would think it is the same as the 355 ie; no ECU monitoring

13. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Oz, Sorry to continue on here we are way off topic here but this is important to me.
    It isn't the sharing of knowledge that I was getting at, that's part of why/what we are here for. Its the bluffing done to make others look to you like you understand the topic you are talking about when in fact he has no idea. It bothers me a lot that we have lost some good people, lets leave Brian out of this, there are many others who don't bother anymore. It is just as arrogant and rude to mislead someone with unfounded speculation about a question being asked by a person that just needs simple instructions on a repair or adjustment. Regards, Vern

14. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I'll let you know. I did the self-calibration procedure in the WSM, and the new disk and pressure plate ran me about $750 (which is about 1/4 of a dealer quote I had). And I probably could've gotten away with just a $50 friction disc refurbish since the old pressure plate didn't look bad. In this case the 'easy' recommendation is to go to a dealer and have it done with an SD2. But someone who really wants to help the DIY'ers (Thanks Bruce, Ernie, many others) posts tips and says go for it.

15. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    That will be interesting to know keep us posted. I guess what I would do is change it myself also and then take it to an independent shop and have them check my work with their SD, if it was ok then I wouldn't worry about it the next time around.

16. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I miss Rifledriver too...but you were being an @ss by harassing Ernie. There are many ways for you to get your message out, you chose the most childish method, pure and simple. You are not ranting, you are obsessing. Grow up, and get over it.

17. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Rifledriver recommended a non Ferrari spec GL4 gear oil? RD gave very specific reasons why he made that recommendation based on conversations with Redline, and his own knowledge of Ferrari transmission construction, and his personal experience with Ferrari challenge race cars...can you say the same for all the non Ferrari spec parts YOU recommend? Like LED light bulbs (that have lower illumination values than the OEM bulbs), spark plugs, R134a conversions, brake pads, O2 sensors, bumpers, etc. ?

When a Ferrari technician with decades of factory training, and experience speaks, there is considerably more credibility to his discussion and recommendations. Has he been wrong? Probably, as it is not easy to diagnose problems via the internet, and let's also remember what one is paying for the advice... ;)

BTW, do we all agree this thread has gone way off topic now? :)

18. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Big time.

19. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.