95 Ferrari F355 Spyder Light Conversion From US to Euro Spec | FerrariChat

95 Ferrari F355 Spyder Light Conversion From US to Euro Spec

Discussion in '348/355' started by Mike Hilton, Feb 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike Hilton

Mike Hilton Rookie

Feb 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael Hilton
    Hi All,

I have recently imported my 95 F355 Spyder from the US into the UK and am having problems with the lighting as the requirements are different in the UK. I have replaced all the lamps with original UK spec Ferrari supplied parts, the front side lamps work perfect and to be honest I believe the white lenses look much better on the car. However, the tail lamps which have orange indicators in the outer lamp centres now flash too fast. The US spec car flashed two bulbs in the rear outer lamps for turn signals, but the UK car only uses a single bulb in the centre. My guess is that the flasher relay now thinks a bulb is out and hence flashes too fast. The issue I have is that according to Ferrari, the UK/Euro spec flasher relay is no longer available.
    Just wondering if anyone has done this conversion successfully? Is there a by pass I could use? There was a thread about a fix utilising another off the shelf relay which I have tried.. but I can't figure the wiring.
    The car has two relays located under steering column dash, one is a 4 pin and the other a 6 pin..not sure why it has two relays, I guess one for each side but strangely even with one unplugged they still both work?
    Even stranger the hazard lights work perfectly and flash at the correct speed.

Any help or ideas much appreciated!

2. Tridentecavallino

Mar 15, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hi Mike.
    Unfortunately the EU spec relay 158019 is no longer avalable from Ferrari.
    Fiat/Alfa 60570670 is the same part according to my interchange list, but it is also not easy to find.
    A Hella 4DB 006 716-041 has at least the same pin layout and might be worth a try.
    Good luck.
    Thomas

3. Tridentecavallino

Mar 15, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #3 Tridentecavallino, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Just inspected my parts list. I have a new and original Ferrari #15019 as a reserve part for my F355.
    I took a look at it and noticed a number 60570359 written on it. This is a obviously a Fiat part number.
    The pin layout for this part is correct but the original Ferrari part has a mounting bracket, the Fiat part does not have it.

4. Tridentecavallino

Mar 15, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    By the way it has 7 pins.

5. Mike Hilton

Mike Hilton Rookie

Feb 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael Hilton
    Hi Thomas

Thank you so much for your input,much appreciated. I will try and source the relay using your part no as a Fiat/Alfa item.. I may have more luck and hopefully it will be cheaper than original..like most interchangeable parts on these cars once you mention its a Ferrari!

Thanks Again!

Mike

6. Mike Hilton

Mike Hilton Rookie

Feb 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael Hilton
    ...Just two more things..do you think I need only swap out just the 7 pin relay or the 4 pin or both? Where can I get hold of the interchangeable parts list??

Cheers

Mike

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Probably not lighting relays. The normal spot for the flasher relay is by the driver's "outboard" knee, (approximately) above the forward compartment release lever, just above the top of the carpet (but the mounting bolt is below the carpet line).

Unfortunately, I don't know how the USA car is wired up (is it a simple relay change or do you have to rewire the tail lights, relay socket (holder), etc?).

Perhaps because there are more lamps in the circuit (changing the resistance) or the hazard system uses a different part of the relay/flasher unit.

When you find the flasher unit, perhaps you can list the socket pin numbers and wire colours and compare them with this diagram:

F355 Euro Lighting Diagram

The flasher wiring is shown in the lower left hand side of the diagram (04580). A pinout is shown on the bottom left hand corner. Somewhere on the diagram will be a colour code table.

Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Ian.

8. Tridentecavallino

Mar 15, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hi Mike,

in former times I gathered some information from the findpart.org website which does not exist anymore.
    But who knows if such informations are reliable.

The fiat number 60570359 must be good, because it is written on my new original spare Ferrari part still sitting in its yellow box.

60570359 seems to be quite common (Ebay).

If you find a way to attach the Ferrari clamp on it you it is done. The clamp is obviously riveted to the black plastic housing.

The "4 pin relay" you mean might be the acoustic repeater (part 157498). It also has a mounting clamp on it.

Regards, Thomas

9. Tridentecavallino

Mar 15, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Add on:
    US spec relay for the turn lights (164369) has 4 pins. Maybe "no plug and play" in order to get it working for EU spec.

10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    This thread just illustrates how stupid the US regulations are concerning rear turn signals. Ugh....

11. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Ohm's law will correct it easily with a load resister :)

12. Krog

Krog Rookie

Apr 3, 2013
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Krog
    The Ferrari EU relay will not fix it. Please PM me. Did this before.

Qavion likes this.
  13. Mike Hilton

Mike Hilton Rookie

Feb 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael Hilton
    Hi Guys,

Thank you all so much for your input and advice on this. Thanks to Tom, I managed to locate a 7 pin flasher relay on Ebay
    ALFA ROMEO / FIAT / LANCIA INDICATOR RELAY 60570359 A727 610 2(4)x21w 73406
    which was the same part number though designated for an Alfa..for just £20 inc postage! I have just plugged it in and all now working perfectly flashing at correct speed! Now just a case of wiring up the rear fog lights which thanks to Ian I now have a wiring diagram!
    These forums are a real God send for gathering information to enable you to do pretty much anything yourself..which for people like myself who can't always afford Ferrari workshop prices..a blessing! I know there will be those who say if you can afford a Ferrari then you should be able to afford its maintenance..well I had also heard that someone once said..The meek shall inherit the Earth!
    PS..Does anyone know what the little pull cord is for inside the fuel filler cap?

Thanks again!

Mike

f355spider likes this.
  14. Tridentecavallino

Mar 15, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hello Mike.
    Emergency opening for the rear engine hood, just in case the "normal" opening cable does not work.
    If the emergency cable does not work it is a good idea to repair it asap. OEM Ferrari spare part is quit cheap. Beware LHD and RHD cable is different! LHD is part 62991500 and RHD 62991500.
    Regards, Thomas

15. Mike Hilton

Mike Hilton Rookie

Feb 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael Hilton
    Thank you Thomas..I thought it was some kind of pressure release for getting the filler cap off as often I have found that it sticks..embarrissingly so at times when in a fuel station and people are queuing behind! I have learned now just to screw it on until I meet the slightest resistance!
    I'm in the process of wiring up the rear fog lights to meet UK spec..would you know where the rear fog lamp switch is supposed to be located in a euro spec car or does it run in conjunction with the front fog switch? If the latter then I think I will run a separate switch as I often use the front fogs and headlamps if on unlit back lanes.There is a blank circular space next to the mirror control I could utilise to locate a switch..if I can find a suitable looking switch to match the console.

Many Thanks

Mike

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    If there is a strong negative pressure building up, it could damage something. There could be something wrong with the evaporative emission control system. There are all sorts of valves in the system (ECU controlled purge valves, two-way breather valve, rollover valve, etc). Or is the cap just not rotating?

Unfortunately, the wiring diagram doesn't show the fog light. I suspect relay "G" on the front luggage compartment fuse/relay panel is part of the system, but the wiring to the lights or the cabin is not shown. Relay G does need the steering column light switch to be turned on (part of the logic). Where are the fog lights normally located on UK/Euro cars or do they take the place of the daylight flashers?

17. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    It is shown in the non-US handbook as in the row in front of the gear lever second in from the left: suspension mode / rear fog / heated window / door locking etc

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    P.S. Note that the front fog has it's own instrument binnacle annunciator light (one of the lights which run horizontally under the speedo/tacho). Front fogs are not fitted to my Australian car, but I discovered that the green front fog annunciator lens is fitted (by shining a light from behind the binnacle). My car only has a rear fog (with its own indicator light on the left vertical strip of annunciator lights)

19. Mike Hilton

Mike Hilton Rookie

Feb 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael Hilton
    Thanks again chaps for all your input. I have now installed rear fogs utilising a simply switch with an led light denoting when on. I took the power from the front fog switch which means the rear fogs can only be turned on when lights are on. I mounted it in the redundant space below mirror switch which I believe would have been for cars fitted with switchable ABS..it works and looks like factory!
    Thanks again.

Qavion likes this.