959 | FerrariChat

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Sterling Sackey, Jun 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

2. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Smaller than a contemporary 911 engine, yet more than twice as powerful... the 959's power unit.

Sequential turbocharging. Air-cooled with water-cooled heads. 2.85 liters, 450 horsepower.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Great idea! Long overdue.

4. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    In person the car is lot more aggressive than images covey.

Another benchmark supercar!

NürScud and David_S like this.
  5. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    That's very true, though I've only been "up close & personal" with 4 of them over the years.

In the flesh? I'd say the design remains quite current & not a bit "dated" looking, though some might argue that point when it comes to the interior.

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I remember when it came out - it was THE car. but today - it just looks very dated and 80's to me. still is nice but not as iconic as it once was. I remember John Bisigano driving one to Hockeheim ... said he did 200MPH ... it was like a flying saucer when he pulled in to the paddock in it.

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's funny, because of the 80's supercars, the 959 is the most technologically relevant...F40/Countach/TR/et al are outdated mechanically with timeless designs. 959 set the tone for how Porsche designs cars to this day (turbos, AWD, active/adjustable suspension, etc).

cgt000 likes this.
  8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Agree. todays F-1 cars don't look anywhere near as mean and vicious as the cars from the early 90's but they will drive rings around them... F-40 is a simple beast compared to the 959... but if you gave me the choice - it would be the F-40 every day all day. Its the must have Ferrari after 250 GTO, 330P4 and 288GTO....

9. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Overall, the 959 was a technological tour-de-force in its day and a car that inspired the direction that numerous supercars have taken since, but I think some people forget that being a "technology" car is not mutually exclusive with being a great driver's car. In this thread we'll look into both aspects of the 959...

Some of the very best cars of the '80s look very, well, '80s. That said, the 959 is one of the least "'80s looking" cars of the 1980's I can think of. Something like a Testarossa is a better example of the sort of styling trends that defined that era.

10. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Conversely, I think it has aged particularly well, along with a number of 80s cars we all love, the 288 GTO & F40 amongst them

NürScud likes this.
  11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Indeed it was meant to be very different from say the F40, an innovative look into the future

NürScud likes this.
  12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    of2worlds and NürScud like this.
  13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    NürScud likes this.
  16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Harry-SZ, Modulo_B and NürScud like this.
  17. spaghetti

spaghetti Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    SC, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob Satterfield
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Fall 1987....I took these pic's at Holberts Porsche in Warrington PA. Truck load of 959's about to be prepped for delivery to US customers.

tomc, of2worlds and NürScud like this.
  18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Wow that's crazy. What happened to them since Bill Gates didn't get that Show or Display law passed for some time after that delivery...

19. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.

A few years back I was with a friend of mine who is a well known car designer. It was a Sunday and I was helping him tune the carbs on his Dino. While we were doing this his friend called and told him that he had a new car to show him. A few minutes later this friend pulls up in a PERFECT 959S with something like 6K miles on it. As car guys we begin to admire and pour over this guys new toy and I tell them that what I will always remember about the 959 is going to the Toronto auto show in 1986 as a kid and seeing one cut in half on display; something that would make a lasting impression on any young car nut like myself.

Upon saying that my friend turns to me and says 'I'm the one who cut it in half'

As it turned out my friend was fresh out of design school and had just landed a dream job at Porsche. He had done a little design work on some interior bits of the 959 and was asked to design a display that would go around the world to showcase the 959. He duly set about noting all the cut lines and designed a display stand that would tour the world. For years he actually kept all of the left over pieces and told me that knowing what he knows now he would have cut the car differently so that he could keep the part with the serial number!

That was really an amazing experience and a story I love to tell.

Modulo_B, tomc, davidoloan and 3 others like this.
  20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Six (6) 959s in one period image, that's pretty special, thank you for sharing these images.

Not quite six in this image

of2worlds and NürScud like this.
  21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Harry-SZ and cgt000 like this.
  24. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    The Metallic Red car was originally destined for the Sultan of Brunei or was a car never delivered to the Sultan. Original PTS,Paint to Sample color. I was actually pursuing it with a client while it was in London. This was 3-4 years ago prior to Canepa purchasing it.