99 F355 spyder rattle | FerrariChat

99 F355 spyder rattle

Discussion in '348/355' started by hank, Jun 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hank

hank Rookie

Nov 30, 2003
    I get this rattling sound coming from either the exhaust or the wire mesh grill that covers the engine compartment. Has anyone else had the same noise and how did u fix it ? I just put on a tubi exhaust a year or so ago and it still makes the sound, so i am leaning towards it being the metal grill, rattling against the hood frame. Thoughts?

hank

2. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Check your exhaust clamps. Both of mine were cracked.

3. ActionFigure

ActionFigure Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2005
    Cary NC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    On my 98 355 I get a major rattle when the car is cold and idling. Seems to go away once everything heats up and expands. It sounds like it is exhaust related. It is really bad when the engine is cold and idling very low like when backing up and letting out the clutch and not really using the gas.... at that really low idle it rattles something fierce. Had the car up on a lift and everything seemed to check out OK. It also does it when hot and letting out the clutch without enough gas, but not as bad as when cold.... thoughts?

4. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    It's your exhaust bypass valve and a fairly common problem. My 98 did it, replaced it with another one..still rattled. Wired it open and...poof!....rattle gone and the car sounds better (but louder). Lots of posts about how to do it on the web site. Just do a search on 355 bypass valve and you''ll find out plenty on how to fix it.