991 GT3 vs. RS? | FerrariChat

991 GT3 vs. RS?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by rob lay, Dec 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ok, I'm still learning about Porsche. what are the real on paper, on street, and on track differences between the GT3 and RS? Here are a few stats I can find. Otherwise I've heard comments about how special the RS is and others even saying they like GT3 better, so who knows. I know the RS has a more aggressive appearance and would be more collectible, but doesn't seem to have much more power. How would track times compare (trying to use 991.1 as base)?

MSRP $143,600 vs. $178,250

POWER: 475 hp @ 8250 rpm vs. 500 hp @ 8250 rpm

TORQUE: 324 lb-ft @ 6250 rpm vs. TORQUE: 338 lb-ft @ 6250 rpm

CURB WEIGHT: 3197 lb vs. 3155 lb

Zero to 60 mph: 3.0 sec vs. 3.0 sec

Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.12 g vs. 1.08 g

Image Unavailable, Please Login

StoryBook likes this.
  2. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Having owned a .1 GT3 and now an RS there might not be a difference on paper but there is absolutely zero comparison in ownership experience. The RS is the absolute best all around car I’ve ever owned.....

As far as lap times my guess is the better driver will win regardless of the car....equal ability and the RS takes it. It’s a more balanced car....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I bought an RS a month or so ago. It’s a spectacular car. Super loud and super fun. I was originally drawn to it as my friend had a gt3. It was a blast to drive. The RS is so much more aggressive looking. Amazing car! Love it!

rob lay likes this.
  4. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    have both, RS is about 1.5 seconds quicker at COTA. Prefer the GT3, hate the boy racer looking RS wing so I rarely drive it.

rob lay likes this.
  5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The rs is just so much more aggressive and better looking.

6. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    I have owned the RS for about 2 years now and had a GT3 for a while then sold it. GT3 is a great car but the RS feels quicker and more surefooted. You have to keep the GT3 in high revs to feel its quickness. RS is fast all around. RS accelerates, handles and pumps adrenaline just a bit more than the GT3. I like the aggressive racing look of the RS and correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the RS shares a wider rear end as the turbo v GT3 is narrower and is the same width as the 4S. I will keep the RS for a long long time and have ordered a .2 GT3 touring and a GT2RS. Porsche is making great cars.

speedy_sam and rob lay like this.
  7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Do both cars have 4ws?

8. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Yes

9. Stormtrooper787

Stormtrooper787 Karting

Dec 15, 2017
    Great car owned both GT3, and RS. My opinion RS really deserves to be on the track because that’s where you will really enjoy the car. The RS has a lot more grip than the GT3 due to aero and big monster tires. I sold my RS for my 458 because I don’t have they time to track like I would love to do. Rather it go to a owner that can drive the car like it should. Too my travel for work and long days at the track just don’t have the time. Hate to see it go but it was the right thing. Enjoying the 458 I’m not a fan of turbos so the RS and 458 both sound amazing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

SoCal to az and rob lay like this.
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I like the non-turbo comment. Coming out of the Cali T I was most impressed with linear power of the GT3.

11. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    rob lay and TKO like this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

I’m just so happy to be able to have one of the same cars as MYToys who has one of the most epic garages and car collections I’ve ever seen. My hero. :)

rob lay likes this.
  13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The RS is bad a$$, I am not sure I could go with the std GT3 knowing the RS exists. I would be happy just staring at it let alone driving it.

rob lay likes this.
  14. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    I wonder what the RS does VS. the 991.2 gt3. Do you happen to know?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

15. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    agreed, it definitely gets the attention!

16. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    based on what I have read, the two cars should be very close, both being PDK equipped. There have been a few reports saying the 1.2 is quicker than the 1.1RS, but that is all second hand info off rennlist. I have several COTA days between now and march so there should be a few more showing up that I can compare against.

17. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I don't have a personal comparison for 991's, my experience has been with prior model generations. But typically the GT3 vs RS configuration is more about perceived experience than actual performance, a little like the CS/Scuderia/Speciale experience over the base Ferrari models. Porsche will shave a few pounds off, tighten up the suspension a little more, improve the HP/torque a bit with some intake tuning or cam changes, do a little more aero that only matters above 100-120 MPH, put on a little sticker or wider tires, and add some model specific paint/trim. It's all about being able to publish some slightly better specs that will seem worthwhile for the price/rarity difference. And the sum total of changes will feel tighter, stiffer and ride and look more track-worthy, and there could be a just measurable reduction in track times, usually due to sticker stock tires. On the other hand, the RS is probably less pleasant for normal daily drives or even weekend excursions; while the GT3 will feel more 50/50, usable for either road or track. Monetarily, RS is more collectible than GT3 due to production volumes, but you knew that.

rob lay and galt like this.
  18. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I drove my 2012 458 over the weekend to Cars and Chronos and drove both a manaul GT3 and PDK GT3RS later that same day. I have decided it is time to trade into the Porsche family.

LI2782 and rob lay like this.
  19. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    What are your thoughts on choosing between those two cars? Seems like sort of an interesting comparison the 991.2 gt3 in manual vs a .1 RS. Both obviously have their merits. Also curious if the .2 4,0 engine is noticably nicer?

20. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The RS was noticeably better in all aspects but there is something about a 3-pedal car for me.

21. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    I see, si it sounds like you did not notice a significant difference in the improved 4,0 engine in the gt3.2 .

22. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys

Haha. You’re too kind. My little collection is nothing in comparison to some Fchatters. Good thing is we all share the same passion. Can’t wait for the .2 touring package. It will be the first 2019 from my dealer so July production. 2RS also around that time. Next up is the 812SF for Q1 delivery.

SoCal to az likes this.
  23. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I agree with the above sentiments, but...

I had a 991.1 GT3 which totally blew me away. Loved the car. Good power, phenomenal handling. PDK is fantastic. Exercised it on a few long multi-day rallys and was very comfortable and enjoyable to drive. Loved the looks - great lines. then traded the GT3 for a 991.1 GT3 RS. Awesome and imposing looking car, but very "busy" (IMHO) with the vents and big wing. It felt subjectively quicker and handling was better, but I felt the ride was much more harsh than the GT3. Driving on very smooth country roads was ok, but anything less was quite harsh (again IMHO). My wife and I took it on a multiday rally and really regretted taking it as opposed to one of the other cars. Had worked out a trade on it by the time I got home.

In the end, I think they are both fantastic cars - just depends on the mission. To me, the RS is a great track weapon and the GT3 is a better back country road weapon.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I really like the looks of the RS and collectibility, but I think you and Yin have it right the RS might be tenths of a second quicker on track, but noticeably harsher on street.

25. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Porsche has managed to make some really great cars and that presents sime tough choices. For example to manual or not to manual spec a gt3?

I personally go back and forth between wanting a manual and not wanting one. I see what they are doing with the touring pack cars .but may as well offer the pdk in those for people who prefer that.

Hard to complain about the amount of ways to spec a 911..there are so many. But for me the T would have been ideal had they put a relatively small displacement super high revving naturally aspirated engine. Say a 3.4 liter 6. Probably not realistic due to development costs but really would be fun to be able to constantly go up and down through the gears if a high revving 6 without being arrested.