991 GT3 | Page 39 | FerrariChat

991 GT3

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by joe sackey, Oct 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Any of you have plans for the manual 991.2 GT3 that has been confirmed. I loved the pdk s in my gt3 so not sure but for all those who complained about paddle shift only, will you be stepping up to the manual?

2. Jon H

Jon H Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jon Halvorsen
    I'm on my dealers list for manual a GT3 (currently have a GT4) not sure yet if I will
    actually change - see how things play out, clearly manual trans & atmospheric engines
    cars are heading towards extinction.

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Not me.

I love mine, I'm not giving it up, nothing sounds like it @ 9,000 rpm, and for what I use it for, I couldn't use a manual anyway, nothing has changed

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ojwGZ5gJP8&list=UU2xJqlJyVh0ASDwmOvMMYZA&index=1[/ame]

4. Bill in Atlanta

Bill in Atlanta Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2004
    Stepping up ??

How about down....
    Have a 991 GT3, will be getting a 991.2 GT3
    And it will be PDK-S
    Not going backwards....

Bill

5. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    You're right should have stated stepping down.

Have there been any confirmed build dates or Atleast approximations?

6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Bill, I have to say, for the first time in years, Porsche Ag's actions puzzle me (plus, going back on their word never sits well with many people), I can't really see the point of a series of slower manual cars in the current era. That said, as I always say, make yourself happy. I'm with you, and I find the PDK-S electrifying if deployed as it should be.

7. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    I don't think its about stepping up, down ,forwards, backwards between PDK-S and a manual.....its more about the opportunity to have a choice. And for that I commend Porsche!

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I can, in a few ways....

first, Porsche buyers (much more so than Ferrari or Lambo buyers) want a manual.

second, Porsche buyers don't like being told no :) so while they are going back on their word, Porsche is catering to their customer base in a way Ferrari rarely does.

third, these cars are "too fast" for the road in the sense you'll never scratch the surface of their abilities on the street, so a slower but more user-involved manual transmission makes them more fun. at least in a lot of people's minds.

the runaway success, both sales and marketing wise, of the 911R makes it kind of a no-brainer for Porsche to continue offering a manual, even in the highest-spec cars.

personally I applaud Porsche for doing this, customers can have what they want: old school and engaging manual, or latest and greatest (and fastest!) PDK.

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Yes, choice is always a good thing.

10. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    #960 Finlander, May 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Piston heads had this to say

Porsche has recognised that some of its customers are being left cold by technology taking over the driving experience. Porsche Head of GT Cars, Andreas Preuninger, commented that: ‘new cars were always going to use technology to go faster - hence PDK, four-wheel steering and the rest - and new customers were attracted as a result. But we lost the people that really drive for the driving's sake, just to feel something in the car, just to experience moments of joy’, which echoes many of the sentiments expressed by both media and long-standing Porsche GT car customers. As it stands, a significant number of the drivers seeking a more emotional driving experience are no longer buying new Porsches; they are buying classic air-cooled Porsches, or commissioning highly developed classic cars like the Singer Vehicle Design 'reimagined' Porsche 911.

12. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #962 joe sackey, May 3, 2016
    Interesting.

When I purchased my 991 GT3 with PDK-S, I was one of those "people that really drive for the driving's sake, just to feel something in the car, just to experience moments of joy", and, the car has delivered an "emotional driving experience".

This guy too, even when driving the car shopping...

All is good.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #964 Sfumato, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    FIFY Chas :)
    At least they're not as bad as Ferrari. Yet. Dealers far more blatant about ripping beaks though. Love the GT3/RS. Like 911's. Their volume is TRUCKS and formerly ugly now better sedans. I can't call the 2 ton primary products "porkers" though :eek:
    We'll never settle the PDK vs. Stick. Ever. :p

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #965 joe sackey, Aug 23, 2016
  15. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    It's interesting that Porsche recognizes this and said the same with the 911R. In essence that Porsche heard the complaints and brought out an 'enthusiast's car' if you will. Not a track car but a car meant for driving pleasure. Yet us enthusiasts and good customers are not able to get these cars as 918 owners have had first right of refusal here in the US and the remaining being snatched up by speculators/flippers. Why the limited run and privilege to the certain chosen? Sounds like Porsche is listening but not truly understanding. At least my $.02

16. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    In the good old days Porsche made an enthusiast 911 by taking a regular 911 and removing weight then selling it cheaper: RS America

Sad that it means something so different now...

Why not offer a "911 Light". Regular 911 but stripped down with less weight. Don't really need more horsepower or wider rubber than a standard Carerra if it means it can be priced cheaper. A higher revving engine with a lightweight flywheel would be icing on the cake.

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #968 joe sackey, Aug 25, 2016
    Really good points.

All things considered, the 991 GT3 is beginning to look like the car for real enthusiasts , for road or track, the point at which perfection was attained with this variant, not over-the-top or a money-based play at heritage, but an iconic Porsche that you can enjoy all the way to 9,000. You really don't need any more or want any less, nor do you have to belong to a special club to own one.

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #969 joe sackey, Aug 25, 2016
    I'd actually like to see less variants of any given model, and again, much of what you describe is already here, in the 991 GT3.

19. odwa

odwa Rookie

Nov 24, 2014
    Joe, have always enjoyed your comments and would like to mention the GT4 as a consideration for the real enthusiasts car from Porsche. I have enjoyed 13K+ miles on my 2015 GT3 and currently 4k miles on my GT4, for spirited road drives the GT4 is my choice.

20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #972 joe sackey, Aug 25, 2016
    Awesome, I think if you can have both, they compliment each other in the way you describe.

For me, with space for one, the GT3 covers all uses, and 2 years later I appreciate the car more than ever, I think the car's stance is current-generation 911 perfection.

21. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Very cool you drive and enjoy both of your cars! I love the GT4, especially the size .... not to mention its an incredible bargain.

22. Moondog4224

Moondog4224 Rookie

Jan 10, 2015
    #974 Moondog4224, Aug 25, 2016
  23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey