992 GT3 RS | FerrariChat

992 GT3 RS

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by 95spiderman, Aug 15, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Gh21631 and Bullfighter like this.
  2. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    I've been on the list for this car at my dealer since May of 2019. Official reveal this Wednesday at 11:00am.

This will be a severely compromised car in that it is not a true race car and will likely be too stiff/uncomfortable for the street...but I still would love one.

sugufish and 95spiderman like this.
  3. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I would guess dealers asking 500k regardless msrp

4. sugufish

sugufish Rookie

Mar 13, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    K
    Same here. Really not a fan of that massive wing but I still want one.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  5. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    This is one of the shorter vids. Others are 30 mins or longer.

Expand 'Description' for Time Stamps

6. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Not so sure I care about this car. I'm 20 yrs hpde with 10 instructing and I doubt I could get anywhere near its cornering ability. And all those settings make it too complicated. Maybe p is over compensating for reaching limits of engine output? I don't see it as much of an advancement over regular gt3 unless you're a pro level driver.

boxerman likes this.
  7. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Driving one on these on the road is going to look so absurd.

joe sackey likes this.
  8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I think body mods look great with cutouts behind wheels and new body crease. Just need avoid decals which I usually like and maybe darker color to avoid contrast w aero bits. Gray with black wheels might make best looking 911 ever.

ozcav and boxerman like this.
  9. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    so who is buying this car? in europe many will buy it to be big dog at silverstone and ring same as they do with priceless vintage racers but i dont think will work that way here. it will be very uncomfortable on street with those stiff springs needed to hold up to downforce. the aero will allow it to go crazy speeds on fast turns like esses at watkins glen but who really wants to go 175 through there in street car no less. the adjustment buttons seem like fun to play with but are probably too complex for anyone without full time coach. i think i would rather have a cup car or even a regular gt3 or gt4rs

boxerman and Wikdstrate like this.
  10. Wikdstrate

Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Yup, you nailed it. Cup Car is much safer and will be quicker. The 992 RS is way too compromised (as you mentioned) for its' own good. It's too stiff/uncomfortable for the street and not as good/safe as dedicated track/race car.

Watkins is my home track and I was a little apprehensive about the lap times I was able to turn in my 991.2 GT3 with Hoosier R7's. I was turning sub 2 minute laps and hitting mid 160's down the back straight before the Bus Stop. I kept thinking to myself that these speeds might not be a great idea without a full cage and a fuel cell. The 992 RS will be even more disconcerting.

Definitely a cool car but I don't see the purpose. Anyone buying this car can easily obtain a hauler and an enclosed trailer to transport a dedicated track car to and from their events.

MacNugget, boxerman and 95spiderman like this.
  11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Shorn355 likes this.
  12. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Video reviews just released and car does not interest me. Its advantages over gt3 are pretty much downforce and adjustment buttons. Much rather have z06

13. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

The lap footage with the test driver is nuts.

14. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    agreed but need pro level skills to get what rs offers over regular gt3. and those adjustment buttons seem like a science homework task to learn.

boxerman likes this.
  15. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

The suspension control settings are less in-depth and complicated than on my mountain bikes which have hi and low speed compression, fast and slow rebound and positive and negative spring rates, for the front and rear shocks. And i have had manual compression and rebound adjusters on my previous track cars.

Many cars have traction control level settings, that's nothing new ( its basically what the Maettino does).

Being able to set the diffs, being able to dial in how much the car rotates on entry and exit sounds amazing.

Sounds like the 992 GT3 RS is just not for you. I should find out soon if i'm going to get an allocation.

Bullfighter likes this.
  16. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Correct that rs is not for me but I do love that they made it and cant wait to see how fast it goes on track. Regular gt3 is sweet spot for porsche between 4rs and 3rs.

Shorn355 likes this.
  17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    who’s going to buy it. A whole plethora of peolke who just gotta have the intimate most expensive porche. Thyre already lamenting it does not have more ho. I. Oter words the mostly clueless.
    But it’s going to look super cool rolling round Miami and LA

some will bring the car to the track, we always see RS”s and cup cars there.
    Yes you’re right at those speeds a full cage etc is goi g to be way better.

complex but a cool accomplishment, maybe a step too far.. Not even sure a cup car will be faster

Shorn355 and Wikdstrate like this.
  18. Wikdstrate

Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Cup Car will still be significantly faster. Cup Cars have full slicks and are 500pds lighter. As you know, weight is your worst enemy on track.

I would imagine a Cup Car would put at least 1-2 seconds per minute on this RS. Cup Cars dip into the high 1:40's at my home track (Watkins Glen). No way this RS is doing that (even on the "hero" Cup 2r tires).

If people start running full slicks on this thing they will significantly increase the stress on the mechanicals. At that point you really should be following a Cup Car maintenance schedule with hubs, bearings, axels...etc. Again, not ideal for the track.

Buy a Cup Car for $150K and leave the extra $200K in your checking account to maintain the Cup and cover consumables...you will be faster AND safer!

Still a very cool car but it makes no sense when you really think about it.

To each their own.

MacNugget, boxerman and nmcclure like this.
  19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ring lap time 6.49 in non ideal conditions. 10 sec faster than regular gt3. still seems like porsche is apologetic for the car saying, it proves dont need big hp motor to be fast, all about balance, aero, etc. to me, top of line track car should have all that plus big hp motor. no excuses.

Jonathan19 likes this.
  20. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

The GT2 RS will have the big power motor, with turbos ( most likely will come out once the 992.1 gen cars are developed). The GT3 is all about high rev's, NA and precision ... Many people, including me don't like turbo's in their pure driving cars. I even have little interest in the last gen GT2 RS, or the Pista etc etc.

If Ferrari made their V12's 4.0 litre, but with turbos to make the power would they be nearly as loved? Absolutely not.

boxerman likes this.
  21. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Agree completely re turbos. I have no interest in them for sports cars. But z06 has na high hp motor at $100k. Porsche should be able provide same at double/triple price. 4.2l 600hp 9500 rpm thank you very much

22. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

#22 Chicko, Oct 14, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    I think i read the 4.0 flat six in the GT3's is about as far as it can go in terms of power to meet the current emission rules in Europe. And the engine is about as large as possible for its current configuration. But you also have to remember, Porsche power is different to almost all other brands. Their top GT engines have power and torque spread everywhere.

A 4.2 litre with 600bhp would be 143bhp per litre. That would be i think the most for any NA mass made production car. To compare, the current 992 GT3RS is 129.5 bhp per litre, the Zo6 is 122 bhp per litre, 458 Speciale 133 bhp per litre ( if im not mistaken, still the highest output per litre for a production car). The Gordon Murray T.50's 4.0 litre v12 Cosworth engine is said to have 163.7 bhp per litre once its launched, but its a $3 million plus car.

The ZO6 is a great achievement for the price ( in the USA, in Europe it will cost 40% more), but has a curb weight of around 3721lbs (1687kg) , so not really an ideal track day car . Weight is the enemy, especially on track. In fact, the power to weight ratios of the 992GT3 RS and ZO6 are not that far apart as you might think. 357 bhp per ton for the GT3 RS, 396 bhp per ton for the ZO6, so the ZO6 only has a 40 bhp advantage.

boxerman likes this.
  23. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Deman offers 4.5l engines with 565hp and tons torque in Cayman. Porsche needs something better for rs before hybrid and ev versions

bluedog111 likes this.
  24. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
  25. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    IMHO it’s terrific that Porsche can achieve record lap times by means other than more horsepower. Serious trust in the driver. If it’s really the fastest around the Nurburgring… end of story.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

boxerman likes this.