993 last of the REAL Porsche? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

993 last of the REAL Porsche?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by jlonmark, Oct 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Yes, to me the 993 TT is the best there is. However the GT2'3's are very nice :)

2. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #27 Doug, Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

#28 Kds, Oct 6, 2008
  4. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #29 Mark(study), Oct 6, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
    Can someone tell me what air cooled does for your driving experience compared to water cooled?

I'm a new Porsche fan... I love mid-engine cars, and have finally turned to Porsche now that they have the Cayman (looks like a 70's style Dino to me). Just waiting for Porsche to add another 50 hp.

5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I am waiting to restore a matching #'s 67 911S. I am waiting on a vacancy. I heard these cars are fun.

6. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Let me (I drive a 993 as my daily) give this a try. Air cooled is not just about the sound, the fact that it positively will not freeze in the winter nor overheat in the summer, or the obvious weight and weight distribution advantages for a rear engine car.

It is about the engineering principles of the matter. It practically arises to the level of the use of overhead cams versus pushrods (and note that the Corvette people make a pretty good case for pushrods, BTW). Or, in the Porsche world - it is the equivalent of what the twelve cylinder engine did for Ferrari.

The end of the true 911 track with the ultimate 993 is as if Ferrari refused to build any engine with more than 8 cylinders after the 550/575 Maranello run was finished.

This is why many of us who have driven air-cooled 911 cars all of our adult lives (my first was a 1969 911T Targa, back in September of 1969)...are hanging on to our last 993s as if they were the Mona Lisa.

Now, don't get me started on the hot oil smell from the heater...

7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    The "real Porsche" debate has been a staple of Porsche boards.

My answer: the last real Porsche was the 356. The 911 is a high volume car for poseurs. ;)

8. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    It was only "real" if it had the overhead cams...most of them were Volkswagens.

9. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #34 snj5, Oct 6, 2008
    I will admit some of the very early Porsches were over 2500 pounds.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Just for argument's sake, tell me why a 928 is not a real Porsche. It is the only one designed from a clean sheet (by Porsche engineers) of paper with no parts bin sharing.
    928s get thrown under the bus by many P owners.

11. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Clean sheet - don't tell me that they had never seen an American Motors Pacer.

12. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    #37 Ispeed, Oct 6, 2008
    That's an old joke, I'm looking for a real response from some P and F car guys. I'm sure you can do better than that.

928: adjustable height coil overs all around, double wishbone front suspension, weissach rear suspension, near 50/50 bias, 4 piston brembo brakes all around. Some good stuff from the factory.

13. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    #38 James_Woods, Oct 6, 2008
    It is not a bad car, but it sort of flew in the face of the light GT traditions of the 356 and 911. Porsche also was rather arrogant in the way they handled the advertising when it (and the 924) were first brought onto the market - they went so far as to intimate that they were going to drop rear engine cars altogether because that sort of design was somehow "outmoded". Also, remember that like the Chevrolet Corvettes of that day, almost all of them were sold with automatic transmissions.

Long-time traditional 911 owners like myself were pretty horrified by all of that.

The 928 also got a pretty well-stuck reputation as a hard and expensive car to maintain.

Anyway, back to the 993...I consider it as certainlyy the last of an era - an era I am sad to see left behind.

14. Ispeed

Ispeed Karting

Oct 31, 2005
    Needham MA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Porsche was thinking that the 911 would not pass safety and noise standards in the US (Ralph Nader) as they were getting stricter and harder to meet. A rear engined car has both engine noise and exhaust noise at the rear, and not really a crush zone for rear impact either. As well they believed the emissions would be easier to keep clean on a water cooled engine too. This was what they were thinking about from about 1971 through the '70s, and a 928 design was what they came up with as they were afraid of losing the US market.
    However, the crash safety and noise didn't keep ramping up as they thought in the US. I believe some of the US car manufacturers started to influence Washington telling them if the safety stuff got too strict it would hurt their sales and profitability (Lee Iacocca among others).

Agreed the 928 had a bad reputation for gremlins, even new they came back to the dealer a lot. It was a complex car, by '85 there were 42 fuses in the fuse board.

15. justin993

justin993 Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Justin993
    +the 996 and later drive train is about 1/3 the price to manufacture.

16. justin993

justin993 Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Justin993
    that one is probably 44-65 tons! I wonder if it had a G50 gear box?

17. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    996 Turbo, GT 2 and 3 all use the GT1 block. So good they continue to use it in the 997 GT3 Cup racing car. Where the street GT3 uses the 997 block.

18. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

Thanks for giving me the Porsche 101 speech....much appreciated :)

19. justin993

justin993 Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Justin993
    yes, they are real cars!

20. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Personally, I bought a 996 1999 with aero-package several years ago. Car looked HOT HOT HOT!!! If the interior were of the same caliber as previous cars, I might have kept it... I think that the new 996, with the aero-package, looks way better than a 993. Seems like most of the folks on the street agreed... Unfortunately, the interior is pure crap. It feels like a TONKA toy. The motor sound also is muted...

Test drove some 993's, and was let down. Having owned 911s, sc's, etc in the past... the interior was a complete let down. It looked identical to previous cars. I didn't want the "same" cars I had just sold... It just didn't feel that different...

Now, the 993 turbo...that is a cool car. But I bought the testarossa instead... I still want a 993 turbo...

21. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Would you believe that it had 8 forward speeds and 2 backward? Semi-automatic! And that you might make the case that it had front-wheel drive with a rear engine? (the driveshaft went up to the front and split out to drive the big front sprockets on the tracks). The big gas V12 had about 600 BHP, only enough for maybe 25mph.

It (and the earlier Tiger 1) also were among the first tanks made with an automotive style steering wheel to regulate the turning motion of the tracks.

BTW, most of the historians say this drivetrain was not really a Porsche design. While Hitler liked Porsche, his proposal lost out to Henshel.

Porsche did make a few of the main turrets as sort of a consolation prize.

22. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #47 snj5, Oct 7, 2008
    Interesting!!!
    As most know, most all Porsche projects had sequential design numbers (356, 550, 911, 917, etc). I smiled when I saw the term 'Porsche 101' before, as in the Porsche project history, a Porsche Typ 101 is a Tiger I tank.

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/panzerkampfwagen-vi-tiger-p-vk4501p-porsche-typ-101.htm
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Yes, that is the Porsche drive train on that Tiger 1. It was also used on the ill-fated self propelled assault gun Elephant (or Ferdinand - nicknamed after Porsche). This was I believe a motor-generator set with electric traction motors for the tracks. Porsche used this kind of electric transmission on his very early car designs as well.

The production Tiger 1 & 2 drivetrain had the overlapped wheels shown on the picture of the King Tiger. That transmission is mechanical.

24. justin993

justin993 Karting

Nov 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Justin993
    Interesting info on the tanks.

25. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    great seats.
    i bought new in 1995 a 993 RS 3.8 litre best car I've ever owned.