993 "S" 2WD or 4WD | FerrariChat

993 "S" 2WD or 4WD

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by 575Mike, Sep 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yesterday I drove a 1998 Carrera S (wide body non turbo two wheel drive) and I loved it. The wide body looks very cool and I forgot how fun the air cooled cars are. This car was lowered and looked and handled awesome!

I would appreciate opinion/feedback on either the 2WD or 4WD. I also like the 993 S because it seems to be holding its value besides being a lot less money than a 997/GT2/GT3. I'm thinking of buying this car.

Thanks, Mike

2. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    hey mike,

i had a 9934S and a 993tt. my buddy had a 993S. the awd makes the steering heavier and the extra weight makes the car a bit slower. around the track the awd is slower but feels quite a bit more stable. i really really like the awd on the 993's..........

now as for the 993tt. it is a different car altogether. you cant even compare a 4S or S with the tt. i sold my tt for a 355 and as a result never really liked the 355 that much. the tt was just so powerful and so much fun to drive.

if u dont want to spend the money for the tt u might want to consider the weather when deciding on the awd. i wouldnt get an AWD if i were in florida.

3. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
  4. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks for the information. You got me thinking. How many miles do you guys have on your 993TT? Maintenance costs? Problems?

I was thinking of the non turbo 993 S because of lower costs.

I've been watching 993TT S prices and non S prices and they seem steady as demand remains strong. The 993TT "S" is over $100K from what I have seen. They may be a bit more than I can handle unless (a) I sell something or (b) agree to sleep outside with the dog because my wife will have a fit.

If you know of any 999TT S or non S cars for sale I'll take a look at least, particularly the 993TT (non S).

Mike :)

5. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

If you're going to track the car a lot, get a C2.....the front diffs can't handle track use on the C4. Having said that though.........

FWIW you may know this.....the C2S is just an appearance package.....wider fenders and bigger wheels.....that's it. Try to get a C4S instead......you get the Turbo M030 sport suspension, those big red brakes and the AWD.

The C2S was/is overpriced and I'd take a regular narrow body C2 with 18" wheels over it.

6. ART360

ART360 Guest

Mike:

Sooner or later all of us will be sleeping outside because of the cars. I've been there, don't let that stop you.

Art

7. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    LOL! Art, what would I do without the sage lessons of life you continue to teach!