997 or Cayman ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

997 or Cayman ?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by sobe, Jan 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari330P4

Ferrari330P4 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Karl
  2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

I have read a lot of articles on that car. I am sure I got the idea, from one of the rags. However I do feel it makes sense. I spoke with a P sales rep on the phone about the possibility of a Cayman RS. She replied that it would encroach on the 997. P does not want to push the Cayman too far.

The idea of a Cayman RS, will probably not get very far with P.

3. caymanslover

caymanslover Karting

Dec 16, 2005
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tom
    All the suggestions to buy a used Boxster and mod the piss out of it applies to the Cayman S in 5 years time. However the biggest differnce is the cayman is designed with 1.5X the rigidity (and slightly lighter) of the Boxster so it will be superior (mod for mod) in any performance contest. The suspension and chassis all interact to give the more rigid design the edge in handling and braking.

4. Scuderia_Ferrari

Scuderia_Ferrari Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    The 911 without a doubt! The only reason you'd buy a Cayman is because you can't afford a 911.

5. waltk88

waltk88 Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2004
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Walt K
    I'd choose the Cayman S. It may be a little slower than the 997 in a straightline, but the Cayman's handling is supposedly better balanced - more front end bite than the 997. The Cayman S should be a seriously quick track car. It has lapped the Nordschleife in 8:11.

6. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    I bet they love you at designer clothing stores. Your the one with sucker stamped on his forehead. No offense of course.
    Just because it's more expensive does not make it better. The two cars are virtually equal in acceleration(Cayman S and base 911). The real difference is the Cayman is a mid engine car that is far better balanced with a fresher newer design. I can afford it and I would buy the Cayman. Now if you are stepping up to a 911S or the GT3 that's a different story.

7. Mike J

Mike J Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Ship Bottom, NJ
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The Cayman is about as fresh as a Boxster with a fixed roof.

8. caymanslover

caymanslover Karting

Dec 16, 2005
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Midengine is and always has been superior to rear engine in terms of handling limits. When Porsche stopped competing in GT2 (final LeMans in 1990's) with their 911 Turbos due to their formula being rendered uncompetitive (too much air restrictors rob power) versus the Vipers, they turned to GT1 which was essentially mid-engined (rear of car was extended) and eventually built the Carrera GT for street. The old 914-6 versus 1970's 911 is the same situation here. Porsche wants to keep 911 up-market so the Cayman and Boxster will always have a less powerful engine (and will never see competition in the same class as the 997's). But one doesn't always get what one pays for in terms of performance /$ when it comes to cars. Lot's of overpriced poorly designed (technically but highly esthetic) sportscar out there to buy with price being the "status commodity" which true enthusiasts spurn.

9. rush109

rush109 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Joshua McRae
    997 gets my vote...

10. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    My vote goes to the Cayman. I have owned 7 911's in the past including two that became track/race cars; I'll always have a "soft soft" for them i.e. nostalgia. However, after owning/driving mid-engine street cars and race cars as well, I'm a much bigger advocate of mid-engine cars. I think it is interesting that there seems to remain a significant Porsche enthusiast group who thinks the rear-engined 911 is Porsche and do not consider others necessarily as "real" Porsches. In fact, as a lot of you may know, the first Porsche (Serial 001) is mid-engined. Also, the most successful racing Porsches are mid-engined (917, 956, 962, etc). Anyway, I'm just glad that Porsche's current top of the line street production model is mid-engine (Carrera GT). I hope the trend towards mid-engine models continue for two of my favorite marques - Porsche and Ferrari.

11. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    997 or Cayman? Having finally driven a Cayman, my answer, regrettably, is neither.

The 911 has become too much of a GT for my taste and the Cayman test drive was nothing remarkable. Maybe the engine was still too tight or I was just expecting too much after all the hype.

And it felt cheaply put together. For example, the headlamps were installed with huge gaps below the front edges, the rear carpeting was poorly installed, preventing the oil filler access cover from opening fully, and the doors closed with an odd not-quite-sure-they're-really-closed clunk.

12. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    That's to bad--I was thinking about getting a Cayman, in a year or two, as a track day car/daily driver. I haven't driven the 997, but when I drove the 996 I was oddly unmoved--not slaming the car or anything, I just wasn't motivated to lay out the coin for it.

I looked at the new Cayman (a PCNA car)--the fit/finish looked very good to me (much better than Boxsters of several years ago) but the proof is in the driving, which I haven't done yet.

And I think Porsche is smoking some really good weed with regards to pricing--the PCNA car at the local dealer had a sticker of 75K+.