997TwinTurbo 0-60 3.4 so, F430??? | FerrariChat

997TwinTurbo 0-60 3.4 so, F430???

Discussion in '360/430' started by Testacojones, Feb 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    The new Porsche 997 twin turbo is 0-60mph in 3.4 seconds as was released today by Porsche on their internet newsletter send tonight, as we know it Porsche is always conservative with their acceleration times so this is very very impresive. I wonder now with Ferrari having problems with their U.S. allocations if many will be buying 997TT instead, no doupt this will influence many... What are your impressions on this?

2. Young

Young Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2005
    Home Town Buffet
    Full Name:
    R U Mr Pininfarina?

I've always wanted a ferrari for being a ferrari. Sexy, fast and symbol of status. Never even looked or dreamed about other exotics. When I started my search for my dad's porsche, I quickly fell in love with Porsches.
    I am thinking about getting one for myself. 0-60mph in 3.4, wow that is impressive. I guess my next step is test driving one.
    Yeah those numbers would influence me to get a porsche or at least think about one.

3. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    Yea... but they're ugly.

4. Young

Young Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2005
    Home Town Buffet
    Full Name:
    R U Mr Pininfarina?
    You think so?

5. Young

Young Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2005
    Home Town Buffet
    Full Name:
    R U Mr Pininfarina?
    Pat, I think you and I share same taste in ferraris but not with Porsches I guess. Man I just fell in love with porsches in last couple of days :)

P.S. love your TR!!!

6. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    A porsche 911 is a vw beetle with a different engine

7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "What are your impressions on this?"

I think the Ferrari allocation issues will help Gallardo, Lambo. Perhaps anyone else making smaller production number cars. The 997TT will be yet another brilliant Porsche, but with all the Porsche models looking similar, and so many made, it will utterly lack exclusivity.

Anyway, if looking for an F430 substitute, I'd wait for a 997 GT2 or GT3. GT2 depreciation may be horrendous, but what a car it would be ....

8. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

I totally agree, porsche don't have any of the passion or looks of a Ferrari, Porsches are pretty mundane and bland looking, my wife says they look like a Mazda or a Nissan, I know which I would buy out of a porker or a 430

9. Father and Son Team

Jul 4, 2005
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    hahaha thats great

10. Topgun T/S 38

Topgun T/S 38 Karting

Jun 17, 2005
    Cincy, Oh
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Bit of a broad brush isn't it boyz? I have both a Ferrari and a Porsche, albeit both later models. They co-exist in my garage rather nicely. Clearly, the "exclusiveness" runs with the prancing pony but either car gathers the gawkers at the gas pump.

To say a Porsche is ugly (excluding the bland 996/Boxer produced in mass to pay for the SUV) is a strong statement. I think the widebody Porsche Turbo, the GT series and the C4S are a beautiful piece of design.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I find that number somehow hard to believe. I had an 01 996tt, pushing just about 600hp and I never got those numbers. Yes the new car is lighter but by what 200lbs. I wish they would make a turbo without AWD, I'd buy another one.

12. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    So what about the GT2? It is not AWD. Why not buy it?

13. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Do people really buy cars based on 0-60 though???

-R

14. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I can't imagine any single factor being lower in my personal rating than 0-60. I love performance as much as the next guy, but real world 40-100 is much more important than the 0-60 time, which is very launch dependent. And then of course there is the rest of the picture (handling, appearance, driver involvement, etc), and frankly the TT does not have the total package appeal of the Ferrari. The 997TT is going to be a monster 0-60, no doubt, some say even faster than the CGT, but it's going to take a lot more than that to lure potential Ferrari buyers. At least, I would hope that would be true, otherwise I suggest buying a used Supra Turbo, and with a few mods I'm sure low 3-sec 0-60 times are quite possible.

Gary

15. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Excellent point.

16. cshargh

cshargh Karting

Apr 18, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Cyrus
    Yeah, and a Lamborghini is a farm tractor with a different body, and a Saab is a military jet.....

Cyrus

17. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.

Then why dont buy a Evo 1 and mod it for 2000$ and you got yourself a 0-62mph time of 3.1 seconds. And the car cost 8k so 10k and your set.

18. jimwalking

jimwalking Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2006
    Any Porsche after 1994 has too flat a front IMO. I had a 911 and enjoyed the vehicle but not the allure it gave off. The endless "d*ck extender" comments and the fact that 1/2 the people assume you are sleazy divorce lawyer turned me off. If I had the space, and the money, I would add a 1994 3.6 Turbo to my garage.

19. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

This is no surprise and no I would never look twice at a 997 because it's quicker to 60 or the 1/4 mile. The 996 TT was faster than the 360 and it made a much more compelling challenge to the 360 because of its versatility. The Manettino changes this significantly, however. If in the future I want an AWD car I'll buy a Gallardo.

Porsche has to be better than Ferrari at something because they can't compete in other ways.

AWD, speed/acceleration, and lower maintenance costs have been Porsche's TT attempt to offset Ferrari's strengths for the last ten years, maybe more.

But the more things change the more they stay the same. LOL

I will say the 997 in general is much more handsome and self-assured aesthetically than any other Carrera. This iteration, along with the 996 4S, have a distinct presence, and thankfully no longer remind me of VWs the way past Carreras did.

Forza,

Cavallini

20. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003

If these figures are correct it will definitely be quicker to 60 and maybe even 100 than the CGT. But who in their right mind would even think about this instead of a CGT? I could see having both but definitely not having a TT because it's quicker to 60. How ridiculous.

You're absolutely right about the total package. If speed to 60 or the 1/4 is the goal I think the C6 would be the winner, and it looks very, very good for a little more than half the money of the TT.

Forza,

Cavallini

21. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I do not like wings, and I have to admit I like at least some creature comforts

22. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I'm getting one, its a practical daily driver, and it drives well in light snow

23. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I thought the 997tt WAS all wheel drive with some variable application too.

24. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I was all with you until you dissed my gorgous little boxster:D!
    (Actually a "bland mass produced" wolf in sheeps clothing with 996 engine added and weight to 2700#.)

Nevertheless, I tend to agree with Will, that although great machinery, and some much faster than comparable f cars, they mostly blend in and have neither the sound nor the come hither looks that fcars possesses in abundance.

25. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Just my opinion, but for me AWD is great for an SUV, but not for Sports cars, I did not care that much for the little bull because of that either. The 996tt was the 1st AWD drive Pcar I owned and probably the last.