997TwinTurbo 0-60 3.4 so, F430??? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

997TwinTurbo 0-60 3.4 so, F430???

Discussion in '360/430' started by Testacojones, Feb 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. caymanslover

caymanslover Karting

Dec 16, 2005
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tom
    As a Porsche fan and owner, I'm amused by those who comment derogatorily about the VW beetle and its true association with Porsche's other designs. Posche did design the beetle (for Hitler) and later borrowed heavily on that concept of rear engine and rear-drive for his 356 and later the 911 (ultimate developmental evolution of the humble but extremely practical beetle). For those who sneer at these creations I think you're secretly wishing that the cars you love have the same practicality and reliability in addition to your much vaunted sexiness and great exhaust sounds. For all the boring issues possessed by the modern porsche tt and carreras and its resemblance to japanese cars there are many others from the earlier and more purists era which inspires that same passion that some Ferrari owners lust for in their choices. Porsches are my choice because they will only sell a completely tested and relatively more robust and developed product for that particular market -be it sports car, SUV, or sedan.

2. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    caymanslover and others,
    I want to say for the record that I have nothing but respect for porsches, but I choose (for my own reasons) to own a Ferrari 328 and 430. The beetle and fiat comments get old. The Germans and Italians approach life and products differently and this shows up in their cars, especially performance cars. It's a matter of which approach one prefers and we all get to vote with our wallets!

Dave

3. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I do love most any performance car. The thread title directly cited the 0-60 time of the 997TT with the question, what are you going to do about it, 430? I suggested there was more to the equation than 0-60.

The Vanquish and DB9 are faster, handle better, and sound better than the 430 (the subject Ferrari of this tread)? In what alternate universe?

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I never thought the 914 was a good looking car.

Nothing easier than bench racing. Porsche seems much more interested in closed wheel racing these days, and is very, very succesful. I believe it would take them a number of years to get competitive in F1, just look at the amount of money Toyota has spent with very slim results.

Gary

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    It will be a great car, as we all expected.

I just can't understand someone having incredible Porsche passion. Great cars and all. But there are really people out there (I'm assuming) who look at a 911 and it makes their heart race. I just can't or the life of me imagine that tought process.

5. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

Funny this wasn't your outlook when the comparison was F430 and the new Z06.

6. caymanslover

caymanslover Karting

Dec 16, 2005
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tom
    As a Porsche fan and owner, I'm amused by those who comment derogatorily about the VW beetle and its true association with Porsche's other designs. Posche did design the beetle (for Hitler) and later borrowed heavily on that concept of rear engine and rear-drive for his 356 and later the 911 (ultimate developmental evolution of the humble but extremely practical beetle). For those who sneer at these creations I think you're secretly wishing that the cars you love have the same practicality and reliability in addition to your much vaunted sexiness and great exhaust sounds. For all the boring issues possessed by the modern porsche tt and carreras and its resemblance to japanese cars there are many others from the earlier and more purists era which inspires that same passion that some Ferrari owners lust for in their choices. Porsches are my choice because they will only sell a completely tested and relatively more robust and developed product for that particular market -be it sports car, SUV, or sedan.

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

it is so funny to me to hear how the experience of the porsche can not equal the soul/experience of the 430.

please guys, you must be joking. if you are not awe struck at the way these german cars deliver power (explode!), brake, turn laps on the track or even get groceries...you simply cannot be a true car person. i mean really, the turbo porsche has HUGE race pedigree, equal to or in excess of the ferrari, especially in gt racing. i'm sure the turbo will be an exciting machine.

and to the person doubting frank parkers comments of porsche's ability to come in and dominate f-1...don't be silly. porsche has dominated all race series they ever entered w/ the exception of indy cars (they did not stay in it long enough). remember durring the turbo era, porsche did dominate f-1 w/ mc laren. i'm sure they could do it again if they chose to.

8. jordanair45

jordanair45 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2006
    Porsche's are drivers cars. They are the best all around cars you can buy for your money. I would buy a Porsche if I am a very serious driver.

Ferrari's are also for performance, but are not the best. They still have their problems, but are certainly not as common as a F355.

If you are a dedicated, hard core driver than buy a Porsche. If you want something exclusive, sexy, and still performance oriented, buy a Ferrari.

9. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
  10. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Franklin as I agree with many of the things you say, you don't know what the hell your speaking about in regards to F1 and Porsche. Porsche raced in F1 with McLaren starting in 1983, the engine was paid for through TAG and it won the championship in 84 (Lauda, Constructors), 85 (Prost, Constructors) and 86 (Prost, Williams-Honda won Constructors). The reason they did so well wasn't just the engine but McLaren, the drivers, etc. When they came back in 1990 with Arrows and their normally aspirated V12 they got spanked. When they tried to race in CART in the early 90's they got spanked. They have had a great career in Sports Cars, but so did Ferrari until they decided to emphasize on F1.

11. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL

Um, well not quite....people THOUGHT the ZO6 wasn't capable...different story.
    I love F-cars, BUT when someone says a car that cost's 70K can't compete
    it's absurd. The P-car on the other hand is close in price, so it makes for a more fair comparo. I've driven a 996 TT, and wasn't impressed OVERALL. AWD sucks IMO.

12. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    There are four great names in auto world to me; Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche and Lotus. I want to own them all. There are times that I want to fall in love with the Porsche. The 80's 911 turbo, 935 turbo turned me on for awhile but then, for that price, Ferrari pops up so I ended up buying the Ferrari. I am sure the Porsche is a great car in performance but the style, to me, is everything. Technology comes and go, style live on forever.

13. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    That's what I'm talking about... This day, technology is cheap. With an Evo and $2000, you can beat a $100,000 car in 0-62. So, Are we paying extra??? .... STYLE. The same with many other luxury things in life. Patek Philippe watch VS a Timex, which give most accurate timing....??? pointless.

14. OC Speed Junkie

OC Speed Junkie Formula 3

Aug 6, 2005
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I don't see people obsession with 0-60. You have two of the best handling production cars on the market and we are discussing 0-60. Those low times are set with high rev launches and professional drivers. If you want 0-60 buy and build an 1/8 mile drag car. Enjoy Porches are Ferrari's for what they are made for. Handling, braking, and high speed cruising.

15. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Let me provide some additional insight from a slightly different perspective --

My company (which does exotic car rentals) offers a several Gallardos, 360s, and a 911 Turbo Cabriolet (996). Yes, technically the Porsche is faster than any other car in the fleet, handles terrifically, and has a nice zippy 0-60 time (AND is a convertible) ---- but it is by FAR the LEAST popular car out of any that we offer.

That should say quite a lot about the whole Porsche vs. Ferrari vs. Lamborghini thing...

nlh

16. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    ^^^It also proves that ignorance has no measure, it reaches from the poor to the rich.

17. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    No!
    It just proves that people are getting really tired of Porsche's stagnant styling and even "poor" are no longer impressed when they see one...
    (regardless of it's terrific performance or engineering)

18. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    they look pretty hard @ the carrera GT too you know...

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Its just some people are jealous that Porsche can make a more reliable, faster, and better handling car that gets better gas mileage to boot all for 1/2 of the cost of the entry level Ferrari V8 car.

20. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    The same arguments could be made for the C6 Z06 vs Porsche. With the possible exception of the 997TT the Z06 is faster, gets MUCH better mileage, and is MUCH cheaper than any comparable-performing Porsche. All these comparisons are frankly just silly, it's a free country, people vote with their wallet, and there is a long waiting list for the 430, while every Porsche does the Learjet/key trick with depreciation, and the Z06 will soon be selling for <MSRP.

Gary

21. Porscheaddiction

Jan 15, 2004
    Cornwall, Ont.Canada
    Full Name:
    Chris Larocque
    Well Said
    Chris.

22. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    And, like the 360 before it, the 430 will be selling for less than MSRP in a few years too.

23. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I see, so thats why no one could get their hands on the last gt3 when they came out and thats why the list of the new 997TT is almost a 2 year wait if you want to get one now.

24. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    A brand new 360 never sold for less then MSRP.(at least in US)

25. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Read my post...I never posted they sold for less than MSRP when new...I posted "...like the 360 before it, the 430 will be selling for less than MSRP in a few years too..." FYI, you can now buy a low mile 360 for less than $100k which I understand is in fact less than the 360's MSRP.