A Blue and Yellow 250 GTO | Page 3 | FerrariChat

A Blue and Yellow 250 GTO

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 65 f.i., Apr 7, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I saw 3445 in Las Vegas about 7 years ago hidden under a cover in the corner of what was then a Symbollic Motor Cars location way on the south end of town which is no longer there as I believe Symbollic pulled out. It's circumstances for why it was there were somewhat mysterious or hidden, or both. Regardless, I saw her there

2. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    I would caution you to be much more careful and circumspect about making statements of this vein in the future.

What you've said here is categorically and patently false!

When this very car won Best of Show at the 2007 FCA International Meet, the Judges were shown a notebook binder containing massive documentation, including original receipts from Maranello Concessionaires to then-owner Robs Lamplough, and original correspondence between the Ferrari Factory and Maranello Concessionaires, all of which document in detail the repair work orchestrated by the Factory, including descriptions of the specific repair work done to the chassis.

In fact, even to this day it's abundantly easy to see remnants/evidence of these actual repairs.

Furthermore, the car has received Ferrari Classiche Red Notebook certification.

3. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Do we know where this photo was taken? And the story behind it? Is the beetle towing the truck?

Plates look very similar to the ones fitted in a picture of David Piper's green GTO in Angola.

4. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Reference to 3445 . Symbolic had the car for sale advertised on the back of Cavallino magazine every issue for a couple years. It was for sale for $3 mil. I believe it had come over from the Matsuda collection, but could be wrong about that.

5. Athanase

Athanase Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2007
    Sicilia (Targa Florio 1964).

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Thank you!

7. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    What would be helpful is for someone, with a little help from their friends[a little Beetlemania] to create a list with the basic details of each of the 250 GTO replicas.Of particular interest is the original chassis s/n.the builder and build date with basic details of the major parts used , and a history of ownership.A few small color pictures would be helpful. This could be posted in the F Chat replica site where other information could be added by persons of interest. Comments? ongascrew

8. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    #58 bitzman, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
    After Norinder smashed it (and looking at the picture of the Drogo body, it doesn't seem unrepairable to me...) wasn't that the time to buy it cheap?

Or was it when it was smashed with the original Series I body?

I've never heard any prices for that car after smash-up #1 or smash-up #2.

I don't think the forum poster who said because 3445 currently wears a body made 15 years later it's a replica. Otherwise you could disqualify more than half the cars at Pebble Beach Concours for having later bodywork. The chassis-built in period, documented, bearing all the right numbers is the root to a car's authenticity; the body it is wearing at the moment immaterial. Naturally since there are not spare bodies for these half century old cars, you have to make a replacement. To skip over to another marque, there was a D-type Jag that wore a custom one off body by Michelotti. When it was bought by the right guy, he went and got a later body from a replica maker, but it was still a D-type Jag underneath; the fact that it wore another body for a few years is not relevant to its authenticity. Marilyn Monroe in a blue dress was the same Marilyn as she was in a red dress (or no dress...)

Also, yes , please start a thread on replica 250GTOs, at least those with real Ferrari V12 engines,don't include the Datsun 240Z's rebodied. I think these replicas on real Ferrari chassis are modern tour de force examples of bodywork and we want to know the shops that did them. Maybe you could put a WARNING label on the thread like "WARNING: This thread contains mention of cars that may not be original, etc."

9. efes9

efes9 Karting

Oct 22, 2014
    #60 efes9, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    NürScud likes this.
  10. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    A true beauty.

Thanks for sharing.

11. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    A very good idea!!! Now find someone to do it.I would take a very serious effort to do this well. Possibly some of the shops which created these beauties would like to sponsor the project. tongascrew

12. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    ...Modern "tour de force" examples ? NO.
    ...We want to know the shops that did them ? YES.

readplays likes this.