A/C Center Vent Question | FerrariChat

A/C Center Vent Question

Discussion in '308/328' started by twright, Sep 23, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. twright

twright Karting

May 15, 2005
    Indianapolis USA
    I know I should ask the "Why" question, but I cannot resist:

My 1981 308 GTBi used to have almost no air flowing from the center vents on the dash. The reason is that both vents contain a hidden (Secret?) on / off valve that is 1 inch (25mm) upstream of the outlet vents. These on / off valves do not have a means to change their position without the use of a screwdriver, ice pick, coat hangar, etc.

So here goes:

WHY do these vents have an on / off valve and why don't they have their own method of changing the valve position?

2. gigaleff

gigaleff Rookie

Feb 27, 2008
    Switzerland
    #2 gigaleff, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  3. twright

twright Karting

May 15, 2005
    Indianapolis USA
    Thanks for the info, but I'm referring to the two center vents that are lower, near the console, not the three vents that are on top of the dash.

My two lower vents have an on / off valve that can only be reached through the vents with a small screwdriver or ice pick. Why did Ferrari put two on/off valves that you can't get to?

4. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    IMHO, since the A/C system doesn't have the controller on the console to adjust upper/lower flow balance on the fly, they added the "valves" to ensure the flow was somewhat balanced with both upper and lower open.

If I remember correctly from mine, the way the ducting is built, would push too much flow to the main lower dash louvers (nearly all) and none of the flow to the top center vent even if upper vent is open all the way. The engineers added the valves to divert some of the flow up to the upper vent.

I am sure all they do is ensure they get some decent flow out the top with everything open and then leave it that way. You would be pissed if you ran the A/C with max fan and no air came out the upper vent with it wide open. Cheap but not very slick solution.

5. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I may be a little confused here but I have a rotary wheel next to each vent which allows you to shut off the vent or adjust the volume of air coming out of it. This is the 2 center vents under the radio. I assume they all have this up/down and left/right adjustment along with air flow.

6. twright

twright Karting

May 15, 2005
    Indianapolis USA
    You are completely correct and I'm only a little embarrassed. I had never tried the rotary wheel on the right side of the vents, only the left side rotary wheels.

As you have stated, the rotary wheels on the right side of the vents open and closed the (not-so-secret) internal air doors.

Thanks for your help.

7. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

There are not many threads about these vents, so I am hijacking this thread.
    My vent face plate was a little bit modified by a precious owner/garage to fit a light for the alarm.
    I want to have everything original again but am not sure how it should look like. And I probably need item 60375409. But that one is hard to find.
    It is the small bracket were the two vents are placed in. (Part 8 in the diagram)
    If someone has a source, let me know.

Can someone help me with pictures of these parts?
    There is a big tube coming from the front and that goes in some kind of glassfiber funnel (22 in the diagram) that connects to the ac duct face plate (#8).

I am interested in how the funnel is connected to the face plate and how this is fixed to the dashboard/radio surround.

And what parts are covered in fake leather?
    Also see attachment (not my car) to see what I am talking about.

My car is a 308 GTB QV (1982).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  9. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

Yes, but this thread is about the 2 vents in the center consoke below the radio. Not about those on the dashtop.

10. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Harry-SZ

I had 4 of these vents when I purchased some others stuff. They look in very good condition. I also have part #22 but this one it's not in good condition.
    Let me know if you have any interest.

Bertrand

11. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

Hi, I have the 2 vents but the surround nr 8 is missing or incorrect.

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Here's how it's all put together:

- #12 (Vents) are pressed into #8 (surround), and held in by friction. It's a rather tight fit, so do it carefully as to not break the parts.
    - #8 (Surround) is covered in vinyl (is yours leather?). It's riveted to the radio surround above it. You can see the 2 rivet holes in your diagram. Yours is modified (i think?) so no telling how it's attached on your car. Also - if your surround is covered in leather, then pressing in the vents might be an even tighter fit.
    - #22 simply slides on to the back of #8.
    - #15 slides on to #22.

13. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

Okay thanks Thorn.
    I found some extra pictures of part #8 and on those pictures it seems that it is around 15cm deep.
    In the diagram it looks only 2-3cm's deep.

In my car an alarm was built in (in the 90ties) and at that time this part was modified. A light was added, but also a small storage space was created.